• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just been on one of the new GWR Hitachis"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I'm actually in Yate, slightly North East of Bristol

N.B. Should you ever bring Yate into a conversation during your sojourn in Bristol it's pronounced YAHTAY not YAYT. Just thought I should bring this to your attention otherwise you may be found floating face down in the Feeder Canal.

HTH.
    Is there a CUK romance brewing ?? :

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Don't get me started on Ma-kans (pronounced Maw-cawns), I almost bought one until the receptionist at the OPC in Guildford decided to correct my pronunciation in a rather condescending* way.

*Condescending means that she talked down to me as if I was a child or simpleton
    Do we need a poll on this or are we all agreed...?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Can anyone living in one of those pretentious mispronounced hotspots count how many Porsche Macans they see. Thanks.
    Don't get me started on Ma-kans (pronounced Maw-cawns), I almost bought one until the receptionist at the OPC in Guildford decided to correct my pronunciation in a rather condescending* way.

*Condescending means that she talked down to me as if I was a child or simpleton.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Can anyone living in one of those pretentious mispronounced hotspots count how many Porsche Macans they see. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Not round these 'ere parts, and I'm near those there parts.
    Maybe my hazy memory is playing tricks on me, but I thought some of the local home owners used a different pronunciation because they didn't like the idea that they lived in beaver.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    It gets 2 different pronunciations - Beaver and Bell View
    Not round these 'ere parts, and I'm near those there parts.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Irish trains are wider. Its the gauge....
    Yes but it can still be the same rolling stock mounted on different wogies.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    So the view on this is split?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    fnarr fnarr

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Irish trains are wider. Its the gauge....
    They are also on strike once a week.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Belvoir
    fnarr fnarr

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Nice ones - Thanks!

I'm guessing Breightmet is a shortened Saxon form of "Bright Helmet", named after a large assembly of soldiers that occurred there at some time.

(like Brighton in Sussex, which until the early 19th century was spelled Brighthelmstone, short for "Bright Helmets Town" as it was named in Saxon times)
    I'm sure there still are a lot of "bright" helmets there.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    feck me! - you lot really SHOULD get out more

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Nice ones - Thanks!

I'm guessing Breightmet is a shortened Saxon form of "Bright Helmet", named after a large assembly of soldiers that occurred there at some time.

(like Brighton in Sussex, which until the early 19th century was spelled Brighthelmstone, short for "Bright Helmets Town" as it was named in Saxon times)
    Breightmet actually quite east BR-EIGHT-met like Br 8 met! Think it cones from Bright Mat, used to lay out flaxen sheets to dry on the hills - not googled it tho. The Rocket pub in Breightmet was one of the roughest in Bolton.
    Daubhill is Dobble
    Tallaght is Ta-ler
    Mouswald is Moozul
    Tothorwald is Toth-orruld
    Moniaive (where I used to live) is Mon-ee-ive
    St John's Town of Dalry - Sint Johns Town of Dal-rye
    and my favourite, quite easy tho, Haulgh of Urr is Hoff of Urgh - as in The Man with Two Brains nearly!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Belvoir Park
    Leigh in Surrey
    Hunstanton
    Kirkcudbright
    Leominster
    Teignmouth

Leave a comment:

Working...
X