• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "(yet) Another tax on the way"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The lady at my lodgings is madly into recycling. No food to be thrown away in the kitchen bin (I think she said). So I've flushed some down the loo instead

Also there's a long line of assorted bins and boxes outside which are each supposed to be for different types of rubbish. But I'm damned if I can work out what goes where, as they're unlabelled and I often want to throw out a small bit of rubbish after my evening meal by which time it's dark and I can barely make out what if anything is already in the blasted things.

I honestly think she's, if possible, worse than the German recycling fanatic I had to contend with when contracting near Hamburg a few years ago, although her speciality was scattering the bins all round her property so finding the right one was like a kind of treasure hunt, and equally hard after dark when one's colour vision isn't at its best!

Frankly I'm tempted just to throw all my rubbish behind the hedge. But I'll be there for a few months yet, unless I move.

Why can't convicts sort out rubbish into different categories, in penal recycling centres, instead of us law-abiding citizens having to?
    When I come to power, only the lucky ones will be doing that, trust me.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    The lady at my lodgings is madly into recycling. No food to be thrown away in the kitchen bin (I think she said). So I've flushed some down the loo instead

Also there's a long line of assorted bins and boxes outside which are each supposed to be for different types of rubbish. But I'm damned if I can work out what goes where, as they're unlabelled and I often want to throw out a small bit of rubbish after my evening meal by which time it's dark and I can barely make out what if anything is already in the blasted things.

I honestly think she's, if possible, worse than the German recycling fanatic I had to contend with when contracting near Hamburg a few years ago, although her speciality was scattering the bins all round her property so finding the right one was like a kind of treasure hunt, and equally hard after dark when one's colour vision isn't at its best!

Frankly I'm tempted just to throw all my rubbish behind the hedge. But I'll be there for a few months yet, unless I move.

Why can't convicts sort out rubbish into different categories, in penal recycling centres, instead of us law-abiding citizens having to?
    This sounds like an ideal employment opportunity for Brexiteers.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Does she wash and reuse these (poss NSFW)

Crystal Flexible Silicone Reusable Condom
    Original condoms where recyclable.

Remember watching some history program where they explained it.

linky
    Last edited by SueEllen; 3 October 2017, 15:50. Reason: added link

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    It's great when it works. But what happens when the machine is broken, or when it rejects the bottle? Am I expected to haul it back home and back to the store again for a retry? Sod that.

Just put the extra 5p in the final price and stop pretending it's "for the environment"
    When I've been abroad - lived and worked - and used them they have always worked.

Thing is you just end up getting a few pence of your shopping.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Does she wash and reuse these (poss NSFW)

Crystal Flexible Silicone Reusable Condom

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    It's great when it works. But what happens when the machine is broken, or when it rejects the bottle? Am I expected to haul it back home and back to the store again for a retry? Sod that.

Just put the extra 5p in the final price and stop pretending it's "for the environment"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    This.

Our household vigorously recycle. Also we never trow trash on the street. We already used "bags for life" or reusable bags before the 5p charge.

Having a bunch of spare bags in the boot of the car or in the shopping trolley is not a hassle.

Having to store and wash all the plastic bottles and drag them to the store, then wast time returning them there is going to be a major hassle, not worth the 5p per bottle. So essentially a tax/surcharge call it whatever you want.

Also I thought the plastic bottles that go in the "regular" bin go to regulated dump sites, how on earth do they end up in the Ocean? I don't deny the fact that the ocean is full of plastic, but I always thought it's coming from 3rd world countries that don't care.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIJ65nz4e0

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Only problem with this is the people that care will already recycle and those that do not will not care about the deposit as I assume it can only be a token thing (5p?)

So never really achieves the goal.
    This.

Our household vigorously recycle. Also we never trow trash on the street. We already used "bags for life" or reusable bags before the 5p charge.

Having a bunch of spare bags in the boot of the car or in the shopping trolley is not a hassle.

Having to store and wash all the plastic bottles and drag them to the store, then wast time returning them there is going to be a major hassle, not worth the 5p per bottle. So essentially a tax/surcharge call it whatever you want.

Also I thought the plastic bottles that go in the "regular" bin go to regulated dump sites, how on earth do they end up in the Ocean? I don't deny the fact that the ocean is full of plastic, but I always thought it's coming from 3rd world countries that don't care.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I forgot about that.
    What I should have done was to fill the car boot with bottles from the UK.
    i think they might have a problem with non-dutch empties.
    you may be told to rot op.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It'll give kids and homeless people a chance to earn a few bob collecting and returning plastic bottles.

But in this day and age I really don't see why manufacturers can't devise promptly biodegradable plastic bags and bottles. That would solve all the problems

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    This. it works well, they also discount old bottles from home deliveries from the supermarkets.
    and it doesn't matter where you bought the bottles.
    I forgot about that.
    What I should have done was to fill the car boot with bottles from the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Wouldn't this become law if we stayed in the EU anyway?
    "Taking back control"

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    It works fine in NL. They use thicker plastic. At old client co the used bottles went back into the delivery crates.
    At the supermarkets you drop the bottles into a machine that gives you a receipt for the refund.

This. it works well, they also discount old bottles from home deliveries from the supermarkets.
    and it doesn't matter where you bought the bottles.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Maybe so.... just wondering if 5p is enough for someone to get off their arse to do something (such as recycle a bottle) over saving 5p by taking your own bags to the supermarket.

But then I think I underestimate the thriftiness over laziness of some people!
    I would probably get one of the kids to manage that and let them keep the % of the deposit defined in the winning tender.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X