• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cricket Is The new Football"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Yes, responsible father of two and vice-captain of the test team, who are about to embark on the all important Ashes tour...
    And in the middle of the current series

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Cant help thinking being on the lash at 2am when you're in the public eye is not the best idea though. Aint he been warned a few times about his lifestyle choices?

Hes not that young at 26 so should know better. And he was, in effect, on a work trip.

When I was that age, my employer sent me abroad loads of times. So yeh we went out on the beer whenever we could in places like Prague, Budapest, Rome etc. BUT, well aware that if I ever got into a fight and got arrested or something, I'd probably be sacked because I was, in effect, still working for them.
    Yes, responsible father of two and vice-captain of the test team, who are about to embark on the all important Ashes tour...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Cant help thinking being on the lash at 2am when you're in the public eye is not the best idea though. Aint he been warned a few times about his lifestyle choices?

Hes not that young at 26 so should know better. And he was, in effect, on a work trip.

When I was that age, my employer sent me abroad loads of times. So yeh we went out on the beer whenever we could in places like Prague, Budapest, Rome etc. BUT, well aware that if I ever got into a fight and got arrested or something, I'd probably be sacked because I was, in effect, still working for them.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Stepping in to stop homophobic abuse. Lets hope he gets a medal.
    Is that what started the fight?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    16/1 on Australia to win the series 5-0 doesn't look too bad (that may have shortened somewhat now that Stokes in unavailable for selection until further notice)
    Yep - now 9/1 for Australia to win the series 5-0

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    Aussies batting is pants, easy 3-1 win for England with or without Stokes
    16/1 for England to win the series 3-1

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    yep. That doesn't say whether they're going or not.
    I suspect they'll wait and see what happens with the police over the next few days.
    If Stokes gets charged then he almost certainly won't go - the wheels of justice won't move that quickly, but he'd be away until mid April with England and the distraction of him going at some stage won't help the team or him.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Suspended until further notice - Ben Stokes and Alex Hales suspended by England after Bristol incident - BBC Sport

No replacement called up yet though.
    yep. That doesn't say whether they're going or not.
    I suspect they'll wait and see what happens with the police over the next few days.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    What MUST happen though is the ECB make a final decision sooner rather than later. They said yesterday that cricket is the only factor in selection, yet today they've said something different.
    Suspended until further notice - Ben Stokes and Alex Hales suspended by England after Bristol incident - BBC Sport

No replacement called up yet though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm not convinced that the Australian batting lineup against our bowling is going to be worse than Stoneman, Vince and Malan against their bowlers.

Vince averages 19 in tests, 35 this season (batting coach Paul Collingwood averages 50 this season). Ballance averages 19 from his last 12 tests (though he might do better if he wasn't played out of position). Mason Crane is inexperienced and I just can't see him making it into the side, even if Moeen Ali can't move at all.

16/1 on Australia to win the series 5-0 doesn't look too bad (that may have shortened somewhat now that Stokes in unavailable for selection until further notice)

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I remember the predicted 5-0 ENG win last time down under. Then Mitchel Johnson found his mojo.
    Mitchel Starc is gonna be handful.
    What MUST happen though is the ECB make a final decision sooner rather than later. They said yesterday that cricket is the only factor in selection, yet today they've said something different.
    The team don't need the distraction.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    if you've had a skinful it probably seems like a reasonable method at the time.
    And if he was defending gays from dickheads then more power to him.
    However..... There were more of them (Stokes, Hales and the gays) so they could have walked away. It looks like Stokes was ready for a rumble and that's not good.

That being said. It's Australia next, so reprimand him in March. The Ashes are too important.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
    There's not many other ways when the abuser is swinging a bottle.....
    if you've had a skinful it probably seems like a reasonable method at the time.
    And if he was defending gays from dickheads then more power to him.
    However..... There were more of them (Stokes, Hales and the gays) so they could have walked away. It looks like Stokes was ready for a rumble and that's not good.

That being said. It's Australia next, so reprimand him in March. The Ashes are too important.

Leave a comment:

• Hertsseasider
    replied
    There's not many other ways when the abuser is swinging a bottle.....

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Fair point but not sure that was the best way to go about it...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Stepping in to stop homophobic abuse. Lets hope he gets a medal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X