• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Top of the property market"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1231139

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1089125

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Now that I've sold my two BTLs, I completely agree with you
    Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
    Yes of course, you bought your BTL in the 90's that's right.

I'm not sure I even believe you had an old Aygo, think that might be aspirational dreaming too.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.
    Inevitable?

Not in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.
    You forgot to add a very important group of people that will NEED to sell - the ones that can't afford the subprime mortgage, once the inevitable rate rise arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Interest rate rise, tax on second/empty properties.

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.

I like the idea of an empty property tax.

One that ramps up predictably over a period of months/years so those doing renovations or have genuine reasons for leaving a property temporarily empty (other than for investment) can predict the cost and budget for it.

Eventually the unpaid tax on properties where the owners are abroad or otherwise untraceable will allow the authorities to seize the property to pay off the tax.

In the meantime it will pay for new housing so the government can reduce the amount of housing benefit it pays out by owning the properties, like they did with council houses before they decided to sell them off cheaply.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Fooking ****** landlords, buying cheap in the 90s and getting rich doing nothing
    Thanks for your tax contributions to the economy, now - when can we finally say to you leaving our shores?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Interest rate rises affect everyone on the property ladder who has a mortgage. Taxing those with multiple properties or ones which stay empty “as an investment” only affects the wealthier few.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    The thing in this country that will keep house prices up, is as soon as there is a hint that the market is softening, then the supply of houses on the market subdues, instead you only have houses from people who NEED to sell (distressed sales, moving out of the area) rather than who WANT to sell. As a result, that supply/demand equilibrium is maintained.
    True. We need way more forced sales.

An interest rate rise should do the trick....

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Cretinous Cons hope they can buy votes with tiny bribes - it won't work and just will help Komrade Kolonel Korbyn ruin the economy later.

Well done Brexiters.
    You're welcome. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Cretinous Cons hope they can buy votes with tiny bribes - it won't work and just will help Komrade Kolonel Korbyn ruin the economy later.

Well done Brexiters.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Must be near the top, the government are saying they'll extend Help to Buy by another 10 billion to help buyers that can only afford 5% deposit get into massive debt for a new build tulipbox.

All part of 'listening' to the younger voters now the cons are tulip scared of losing to Labour at the next election after Corbyn getting them onside in the last one.

Theresa May pledges help for young on student fees and housing - BBC News

How about they stop throwing public money at the law of economics and let the housing market re-balance naturally, making property more affordable for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    So you get a worse interest rate for a 50% deposit compared to a 35% deposit. Doesn't exactly incentivise people to put down more cash.
    Don't forget the fix duration. The 50% deposit deal is fixed for five years, whereas the two 35% deposit deals are fixed for only two.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Cheapest mortgage deals removed as BoE hints at rate increases sooner rather than later...

Sell, sell, sell!
    So you get a worse interest rate for a 50% deposit compared to a 35% deposit. Doesn't exactly incentivise people to put down more cash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X