• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lack of Contract.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lack of Contract."

Collapse

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    God, I remember something like one of those, an Osborne I think it was, in one of my first IT jobs back in around 1980.

Cost around £20,000 as I recall, even back then!
    And full of the wonders of CP/M.

FCBs anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1

$1795 1980 USD.

Which is about $4k6 today.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 7 September 2017, 16:52.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Something like this, I presume....?

God, I remember something like one of those, an Osborne I think it was, in one of my first IT jobs back in around 1980.

Cost around £20,000 as I recall, even back then!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Not quite, but I did find out later it cost £4k, and only had a b/w screen (which didn't matter as I was working in DOS). Happy days...

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    My first contract was creating a d/b in Lotus123 (DOS version). My first renewal was to convert it into Access. To start with they didn't have a spare desk so I worked on a laptop in the smoking room, which had Sky telly and a coffee machine.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    My first contract was creating a d/b in Lotus123 (DOS version). My first renewal was to convert it into Access. To start with they didn't have a spare desk so I worked on a laptop in the smoking room, which had Sky telly and a coffee machine. And loads of fit lasses, and I was 23 and... oh, crap, I just dribbled...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    yes, - i do, - anything lotus is crap IMO, why i always disliked gigs for big blue.
    My first contract was creating a d/b in Lotus123 (DOS version). My first renewal was to convert it into Access. To start with they didn't have a spare desk so I worked on a laptop in the smoking room, which had Sky telly and a coffee machine. And loads of fit lasses, and I was 23 and... oh, crap, I just dribbled...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Lotus 123 died once they binned off BASIC macros for LotusScript. BB have pretty much managed to kill
    Cognos off too.
    However bad Lotus was (and ISTR when I used it years ago it was dire), it was bliss compared to Microsoft Docpoint.

No commercial program used in the last 50 years has been so utterly atrocious as Docpoint!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    yes, - i do, - anything lotus is crap IMO, why i always disliked gigs for big blue.
    Lotus 123 died once they binned off BASIC macros for LotusScript. BB have pretty much managed to kill Cognos off too.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    yes, - i do, - anything lotus is crap IMO,
    I disagree, the Esprit was pretty good in its day.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why aren't you finding us interesting news stories to read like poo girl?

You are on the bench after all.

As I said you are a lazy fecker!

Thing is I have mainly been out doing things that are usually too busy to enjoy.

Brighton was bliss last Monday, would always avoid at the weekend.

But....you are right I really should be making far more effort

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Anyone else remember the days when Wordperfect was the Daddy? AmiPro was so crap they couldn't give it away...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Rewrite your cv in WordPerfect or Lotus AmiPro.

HTHBIDI
    Anyone else remember the days when Wordperfect was the Daddy? AmiPro was so crap they couldn't give it away...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Indeed, a broken man .

Oh......my sides
    Why aren't you finding us interesting news stories to read like poo girl?

You are on the bench after all.

As I said you are a lazy fecker!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's it career over. You're fecked. Time to call it a day & potter around the garden, posting crap about your travels which you'll never take.
    Indeed, a broken man .

Oh......my sides

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's it career over. You're fecked. Time to call it a day & potter around the garden, posting crap about your travels which you'll never take.
    Something you can advise on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X