• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Announcement

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Announcement"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Act of Parliament can bypass Big Ears before he becomes king. Won't happen, though.
    There is one solution.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    For Big Ears to abdicate he has to become sovereign, by which time William will be heir presumptive, even if Maj out lives her eldest the rules of succession would still go to William, we are safe from Edward or Andrew unless something really drastic happens
    Act of Parliament can bypass Big Ears before he becomes king. Won't happen, though.

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Suity is excluded from working on the tender execise as a potential bidder.
    I've seen his submission bid. He's lost weight for it, I think.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Yes William is 2nd in line. But if Big Ears abdicates he gives up his, and his heirs right to the throne. Doesn't he?

Edward VIII had no heirs so not a precedent that backs up my argument though. In fact there isn't a precedent so it would be a 'constitutional crisis' in the press.

This the closest precedent I guess... "In June 2014, King Juan Carlos of Spain announced his intent to abdicate in favor of his son, Felipe." - Source Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdication

But I am not a hereditary lineage, monarchical constitutional law expert.
    For Big Ears to abdicate he has to become sovereign, by which time William will be heir presumptive, even if Maj out lives her eldest the rules of succession would still go to William, we are safe from Edward or Andrew unless something really drastic happens

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    You'll need to factor in the economic shock of there suddenly being no gays in Britain. All those pink pounds will have to go offshore to Holland or something. An idea like this needs to be thought through carefully. Get Suity to workshop it and submit his best 3 proposals.
    Suity is excluded from working on the tender execise as a potential bidder.

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    You're being auctioned off for parts.
    Caveat emptor

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Such vulgarity could lessen the economic value of the monarchy. All that's needed is a robust competitive tender, and we'll see what comes out. Maybe there will be creative 'offers' that go down the kinds of path you describe. Maybe a bidder will opt for a traditional approach. One of the oil rich sheikhs may come in with a belter of an offer, because they're looking to get a foot-hold in the European monarchy market.

The free market will sort it out.
    You'll need to factor in the economic shock of there suddenly being no gays in Britain. All those pink pounds will have to go offshore to Holland or something. An idea like this needs to be thought through carefully. Get Suity to workshop it and submit his best 3 proposals.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    You shower of ingrates. Think of all the tulip one has opened for you over the years. If this carries on one might well go round and close it all again.
    You're being auctioned off for parts.

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    You shower of ingrates. Think of all the tulip one has opened for you over the years. If this carries on one might well go round and close it all again.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    voted for in an X-factor style compo every 10 years?
    And only one castle. Sell the rest.

Graham Norton can do the Queen's speech. He's already paid enough for it.
    Such vulgarity could lessen the economic value of the monarchy. All that's needed is a robust competitive tender, and we'll see what comes out. Maybe there will be creative 'offers' that go down the kinds of path you describe. Maybe a bidder will opt for a traditional approach. One of the oil rich sheikhs may come in with a belter of an offer, because they're looking to get a foot-hold in the European monarchy market.

The free market will sort it out.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    It's nuts isn't it? Sometimes you'll hear people say that it makes money for the UK, but then they refuse to engage in a free market solution to put the monarchy out to competitive tender, to see if the UK can get a more economically advantageous contract than the one with the incumbent monarchic service providers.
    voted for in an X-factor style compo every 10 years?
    And only one castle. Sell the rest.

Graham Norton can do the Queen's speech. He's already paid enough for it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I don't. Well I believe they exist, but also that they should not.

FTFY
    It's nuts isn't it? Sometimes you'll hear people say that it makes money for the UK, but then they refuse to engage in a free market solution to put the monarchy out to competitive tender, to see if the UK can get a more economically advantageous contract than the one with the incumbent monarchic service providers.

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    F'kin IT nerds - it's not going to happen! Stop fretting about edge cases and concentrate on the happy path like the business wants

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    If you believe in a hereditary monarchy
    I don't. Well I believe they exist, but also that they should not.

you need to accept that you'll always get a parasite.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Yes William is 2nd in line. But if Big Ears abdicates he gives up his, and his heirs right to the throne. Doesn't he?

Edward VIII had no heirs so not a precedent that backs up my argument though. In fact there isn't a precedent so it would be a 'constitutional crisis' in the press.

This the closest precedent I guess... "In June 2014, King Juan Carlos of Spain announced his intent to abdicate in favor of his son, Felipe." - Source Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdication

But I am not a hereditary lineage, monarchical constitutional law expert.
    No. James II 'abdicated' in a non-voluntary way and his daughter became Queen. Edward VII abdicated IIRC on behalf of himself and any future children.

Anyway, there is no precedent needed as Parliament would just pass an act defining the succession. This is all very silly anyway. If you believe in a hereditary monarchy, you need to accept that sometimes you'll get a duffer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X