• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nice scam

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nice scam"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It will come in useful in the Hungry Years.
    They're taking over with Poland and CZ? That escalated quickly...

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I learned from the bitterest.
    It will come in useful in the Hungry Years.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Hey, you're starting to get the hang of this!
    I learned from the bitterest.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    From behind the cardboard?
    Hey, you're starting to get the hang of this!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I still have bundles of Reich-marks that I take on holiday to hand out on those type of occasions.
    These would go down better outside the GPO (although they're possibly worth a bit now).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I think I spotted that.
    From behind the cardboard?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I was coming out of the GPO in Dublin last Sat. and the Roma-looking old bag thrust a piece of cardboard in my face that said:

"Today is my birthday, please give me €5.00"

Normally I ignore beggars politely but I was so taken aback with the cheek of this one I just told her to fuuck off.

Actually, I do give to beggars/homeless if they chat and tell you about themselves, and not just thrust an empty Starbucks cup at you going 'Uggghh'....

There was this chap on Grafton Street playing the Andalusian small pipes and he got a couple of euro cos he was good. Till my mrs dragged me away from talking to him because although I'd given him some coin, I'd probably cost him more in chatting to him as that stopped him playing....
    I still have bundles of Reich-marks that I take on holiday to hand out on those type of occasions.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    He was a nice chap! Actually I thought he was playing Uilleann pipes (which I love) at first till I got near then it was too late to do a 180.....

I'm still after a full set Uilleann BTW, no practice or half-sets for me, trouble is they're around €4-5000 a set for a proper set, not the crap out-of-tune and untunable *Paki-pipes on Ebay you see at £180...

*acceptable term in the piping community.....
    Nice, I like the Northumbrian pipes myself. When I go old and mad I intend to take up the hurdy gurdy.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I think I spotted that. Did he give you a fiver to get rid of you?
    He was a nice chap! Actually I thought he was playing Uilleann pipes (which I love) at first till I got near then it was too late to do a 180.....

I'm still after a full set Uilleann BTW, no practice or half-sets for me, trouble is they're around €4-5000 a set for a proper set, not the crap out-of-tune and untunable *Paki-pipes on Ebay you see at £180...

*acceptable term in the piping community.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I was coming out of the GPO in Dublin last Sat. and the Roma-looking old bag thrust a piece of cardboard in my face that said:

Normally I ignore beggars politely but I was so taken aback with the cheek of this one I just told her to fuuck off.

Actually, I do give to beggars/homeless if they chat and tell you about themselves, and not just thrust an empty Starbucks cup at you going 'Uggghh'....

There was this chap on Grafton Street playing the Andalusian small pipes and he got a couple of euro cos he was good. Till my mrs dragged me away from talking to him because although I'd given him some coin, I'd probably cost him more in chatting to him as that stopped him playing....
    I think I spotted that. Did he give you a fiver to get rid of you?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    WFH today, land line rings. Odd number (50948894248). I assume it's a sales call from a far away land.

But, no, it's a cheerful Eastern European voice saying "Hi I need to speak with you urgently but I don't have enough credit, please call me back!" and then it cuts off.

I wonder how many people would call back and what they lose by doing so?
    Hmm. They'd be better just letting the phone ring once and see how many people just phone back, seeing the missed call notification.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    WFH today, land line rings. Odd number (50948894248). I assume it's a sales call from a far away land.

But, no, it's a cheerful Eastern European voice saying "Hi I need to speak with you urgently but I don't have enough credit, please call me back!" and then it cuts off.

Voodoo people?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

+509 is Haiti, so it will be an expensive call, no matter what.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    started a topic Nice scam

Nice scam

Working...
X