• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "France expensive but still Beautiful"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    So has GBP seen a 50% currency devaluation in ten years against EUR?

for heaven's sake love, yes in Euro terms, the buying power of the Euro has increased 50%

pity NorthernLadUK

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    You're not helping, Lance. Still too abstract for him.

Milan, let's say you are being paid €50 to change 100 tapes. That sum of money is then increased by 50%. The new increased sum of money is then decreased by 50%. How does that sound to you?

ahh you lost me now luv can we talk only in 1's and zero's I'm better with binary

there's lovely

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    no. no. no. It's not. It's worth 35% less....

How about I give you a pay cut of 15%. And then 3 months later I give you a pay rise of 15%. Are you on the same money after the rise as you were before?

Do you know the difference between margin and markup?
    You're not helping, Lance. Still too abstract for him.

Milan, let's say you are being paid €50 to change 100 tapes. That sum of money is then increased by 50%. The new increased sum of money is then decreased by 50%. How does that sound to you?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

yes, sadly you are indeed right

Kev.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    yes ok, nevertheless buying power of the Euro has increased 50% in GBP terms

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you lot makes I larf

Robin.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Hi Eric!

Eric - the SAS Guru mmmm!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    ok, apologies, got it :-)

Eric.
    Hi Eric!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That wasn't my point.

My point was don't bother using facts. Haven't you learnt anything from Brexit? If you want people who are thick to hear you, you have to hit them emotionally with your information.

ok, apologies, got it :-)

Eric.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Hi Sue,

useless or not, a 50% currency devaluation in ten years is not a pretty picture and won't help your high net worth friends unless they are invested on the Euro side

didn't think of that did you luv

Milan.
    That wasn't my point.

My point was don't bother using facts. Haven't you learnt anything from Brexit? If you want people who are thick to hear you, you have to hit them emotionally with your information.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

How about I give you a pay cut of 15%. And then 3 months later I give you a pay rise of 15%. Are you on the same money after the rise as you were before?

yes ok, nevertheless buying power of the Euro has increased 50% in GBP terms

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    a Euro is worth 50% more GBP than it was

and

a GBP in Euro terms is now worth 50% less than it was

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you mean that a Euro is worth 50% more GBP than it was.
    Which is totally different (the inverse actually) to the GBP being worth 50% less.

yes I mean, as you says...

a Euro is worth 50% more GBP than it was

and

a GBP in Euro terms is now worth 50% less than it was

no need for apologies lads I after 17 years of banter on here I am more than used to your upfront naivety

g

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

This means, 10 years ago and more 1 Euro bought me 60p (check the graphs if you don't accept the numbers)

Today 1 Euro buys me 92p.
    you mean that a Euro is worth 50% more GBP than it was.
    Which is totally different (the inverse actually) to the GBP being worth 50% less.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hello Lance,

I live on the mainland.

This means, 10 years ago and more 1 Euro bought me 60p (check the graphs if you don't accept the numbers)

Today 1 Euro buys me 92p.

This means my Brexit friends, that I now get 50% more pence per Euro than I got 10 years ago.

Good luck with your spin.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X