• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK GDP figures out this morning"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Sigh. Scoots we have been over these points before, nothing more to add. Boring me now.
    Brexiters are as thick as **** – Tuckered

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    1) The EU prime objective is to maintain peace in Europe. I'd say it's a resounding success.

2) I don't believe any Brexit voter understands the bigger pictures let alone articulate it. Even as a remain voter I was uncertain what the UK would be like outside the EU and remain so.

3) The EU does not make people poorer. Governments do that by making promises they can't keep only to win an election. It is worth noting the current Tory government has tripled public debt.

4) I suspect most people in the UK don't know what it actually means to be poor.
    Sigh. Scoots we have been over these points before, nothing more to add. Boring me now.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I pointed this out some time ago. People don't seem to realise that for x number of finance industry jobs moving out, there are y number of support jobs also going from the person who makes the sandwiches, the office cleaners, recruitment agents and so on. It all has a knock on effect, much like when Nissan move a large part of their manufacturing away from Sunderalnd, all the support industries will also be totally knacked...
    You can see some manufacturers like Nissan moving their operations to the EU if the cost of importing raw material continues to climb.

It's not they're taking sides.... its just business.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    No you are saying the EU is a success then holding Spain up as example of this. I'm pointing out that it's driven by making people poorer, debt, bond purchasing, effectively loans, bank bailouts etc.

It's the EU doing it's best to prop up a failing model by throwing borrowed money at it.

You perhaps are foolish enough to read some headline numbers and believe that fundamental problems are being addressed. But I understand the bigger picture which I think you struggle with.
    1) The EU prime objective is to maintain peace in Europe. I'd say it's a resounding success.

2) I don't believe any Brexit voter understands the bigger pictures let alone articulate it. Even as a remain voter I was uncertain what the UK would be like outside the EU and remain so.

3) The EU does not make people poorer. Governments do that by making promises they can't keep only to win an election. It is worth noting the current Tory government has tripled public debt.

4) I suspect most people in the UK don't know what it actually means to be poor.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Dim is selling his property empire right now, renting, then escaping Corybyn's Britain***

I have enough total net worth to retire now in relative comfort compared to living under Comrade Corbyn's Venezuelan utopia.

*** The next govt here will be ultra-left wing / communist
    And in other news Brexiter cocks up Britain and (tries to) retire to the EU.
    You couldn't make it up.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Where is dim?
    Dim is selling his property empire right now, renting, then escaping Corybyn's Britain***

I have enough total net worth to retire now in relative comfort compared to living under Comrade Corbyn's Venezuelan utopia.

*** The next govt here will be ultra-left wing / communist

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Or for anyone who wants out, or who will see their job moving. Glad I got the house sold and the money out at £1 = €1.43 or thereabouts.
    Smart move and well timed.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The Germans are not stupid enough to just count the total jobs gained but also the ancillary and support jobs created by high net worth individuals.
    The converse is also true - many more jobs are lost than the overall total of bankers leaving.
    Some cretinous Brexiter on here, can't remember who, said "who cares if some bankers move out of London?"

Well considering that the top 25% pay 75% of all taxes in the UK, losses of these peoples' taxes affect the ability to support the NHS, army, police etc. etc.

It's ironic that Brexit is probably the largest biggest threat to the NHS as it currently exists.
    I really hope it does collapse.
    I pointed this out some time ago. People don't seem to realise that for x number of finance industry jobs moving out, there are y number of support jobs also going from the person who makes the sandwiches, the office cleaners, recruitment agents and so on. It all has a knock on effect, much like when Nissan move a large part of their manufacturing away from Sunderalnd, all the support industries will also be totally knacked...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    So you're ignoring the export numbers (you know making things and selling 'em) because it doesn't fit with your beliefs?
    You're basically thick as mince but have delusions of intellectual adequacy. That's not an insult BTW just an obvious statement of fact.
    I'm not ignoring anything, I'm telling you why I think the EU is a failure and holding up Spain as an achievement is well, lets say in your words, cretinous.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No you are saying the EU is a success that holding Spain up as example of this. I'm pointing out that it's driven by making people poorer, debt, bond purchasing, effectively loans, bank bailouts etc.

So you're ignoring the export numbers (you know making things and selling 'em) because it doesn't fit with your beliefs?
    You're basically thick as mince but have delusions of intellectual adequacy. That's not an insult BTW just an obvious statement of fact.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Which numbers do you think are false ?
    Here are some other articles on this:

https://www.economist.com/news/europ...results-spains
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/b...t.html?mcubz=0

Spain is creating 500,000 jobs a year. It produces more cars than the UK and has for years.

Of course everyone's debt increased due to the 2007 credit crunch. Uk's debt will rise after Brexit. It's the direction of travel that matters.

The UK is the easiest place to fire people in EUrope. Plenty of low-paid jobs being created here as the lack of wage rises show.
    The post Brexit model held dear by the right-wing Tories is a low cost economy and arace to the bottom.

You'llbe saying that 10 years from now, when we're the poor man of Europe.
    At the moment it's gowing twice as fast as the UK.
    No you are saying the EU is a success then holding Spain up as example of this. I'm pointing out that it's driven by making people poorer, debt, bond purchasing, effectively loans, bank bailouts etc.

It's the EU doing it's best to prop up a failing model by throwing borrowed money at it.

You perhaps are foolish enough to read some headline numbers and believe that fundamental problems are being addressed. But I understand the bigger picture which I think you struggle with.
    Last edited by woohoo; 25 August 2017, 15:56.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I read the first article and again pure propaganda.

Spains debt has only increased and will require many years of sustained growth to pay back. Lots of buying of bonds etc from the ECB to help Spain out.

The competitiveness for Spain is from cutting wages and making it easier to hire/fire people. Pensions etc all trimmed. So the people are poorer. That kind of race to the bottom is not my idea of success.

Huge unemployment.

The EU either reforms or it will collapse.

UK economy deteriorates, whilst the Eurozone strengthens

Revised numbers on second-quarter growth released this week look pretty shabby. Consumer spending, the lifeblood of Britain's economy for decades, barely grew at all, and business spending stagnated. That's especially disappointing given that the euro zone next door -- derided by euroskeptics as a place of sclerosis, strangled by regulation -- is going from strength to strength.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I read the first article and again pure propaganda.
    Which numbers do you think are false ?
    Here are some other articles on this:

https://www.economist.com/news/europ...results-spains
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/b...t.html?mcubz=0

Spain is creating 500,000 jobs a year. It produces more cars than the UK and has for years.

Spains debt has only increased and will require many years of sustained growth to pay back. Lots of buying of bonds etc from the ECB to help Spain out.
    Of course everyone's debt increased due to the 2007 credit crunch. Uk's debt will rise after Brexit. It's the direction of travel that matters.

The competitiveness for Spain is from cutting wages and making it easier to hire/fire people. Pensions etc all trimmed. So the people are poorer. That kind of race to the bottom is not my idea of success.
    The UK is the easiest place to fire people in EUrope. Plenty of low-paid jobs being created here as the lack of wage rises show.
    The post Brexit model held dear by the right-wing Tories is a low cost economy and arace to the bottom.

The EU either reforms or it will collapse.
    You'llbe saying that 10 years from now, when we're the poor man of Europe.
    At the moment it's gowing twice as fast as the UK.
    Last edited by sasguru; 25 August 2017, 13:04.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    The competitiveness for Spain is from cutting wages and making it easier to hire/fire people. Pensions etc all trimmed. So the people are poorer. That kind of race to the bottom is not my idea of success
    that's the British model isn't it ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    The Germans are not stupid enough to just count the total jobs gained but also the ancillary and support jobs created by high net worth individuals.
    The converse is also true - many more jobs are lost than the overall total of bankers leaving.
    Some cretinous Brexiter on here, can't remember who, said "who cares if some bankers move out of London?"
    Well considering that the top 25% pay 75% of all taxes in the UK, losses of these peoples' taxes affect the ability to support the NHS, army, police etc. etc.

It's ironic that Brexit is probably the largest biggest threat to the NHS as it currently exists.
    I really hope it does collapse.
    So all the top earners are going to move to Frankfurt, nonsense. Stop it with the moaning sasy and get with the times.

Bigger better things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X