• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The next car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The next car"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    for me the perfect Modern Classic is:

. cheap to buy today

. very few left

. easy to maintain

. price is going to fly

let me know if you find that one

Milan.
    Some ideas for cheap money. I reckon if you held on to them and kept them in good nick, you could sell them for more than you paid for them, and get to use them.

Maserati 3200 3.2 V8 GT 2dr
    Jaguar XJS 5.3 HE 2dr
    Mercedes-Benz CL 6.0 CL600 2dr
    Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24v Lusso 6 speed 2dr
    BMW 6 Series 3.5 635CSi Auto 2dr

All cars I personally like and you don't see on the roads very often now.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Saw a Corrado Storm Vr6 yesterday - lovely
    Lovely indeed . I nearly bought one back in the day, and an acquaintance advised me not to. He'd had 3 - in less than 9 months. The first 2 had exploding gearboxes and in the last one almost everything electrical packed up. Unless you're very lucky (or can fix most things yourself, including engine rebuilds) they are an absolute money pit.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    yes and I would love to build a collection of youngtimers which we can pick up today for buttons and which will fly in a few years time

do you read the new magazine Modern Classics

they have some useful information especially analytics how many were made how many are left etc

I follow Not Quite Classics on Twitter, they're always flagging good offers

Milan.
    Saw a Corrado Storm Vr6 yesterday - lovely

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The trouble with classic cars is they are shiit, won’t start half the time, need to remaster the art of the choke, adjusting points, oil change every 3000 Miles, notchy gearboxes, no security, ineffective heaters, always a battery drain somewhere and tin worm.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied

. cheap to buy today

. very few left

. easy to maintain

. price is going to fly

Milan.
    As a classic car dealer once said to me:

"If it were that easy everyone would be at it."

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I've been trying to track down a copy of Modern Classics which is massive interest to me. In fact just yesterday I asked the missus to swap my subscription of Classic Cars to Modern Classic next time the latter is up for renewal as the former now may as well contain information on buying Lear Jets. I would hazzard a guess Modern Classics say buy low mileage rare motors with good history.

Brightwells auction house now has a modern classics auction every six months (from memory) which has some really interesting motors for real world money. The last having just been on the 17th August:

Brightwells Modern Classic auction results - 17th August 2017

I'll have a look a Not Quite Classics in a minute.

. cheap to buy today

. very few left

. easy to maintain

. price is going to fly

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    yes and I would love to build a collection of youngtimers which we can pick up today for buttons and which will fly in a few years time

they have some useful information especially analytics how many were made how many are left etc

Milan.
    I've been trying to track down a copy of Modern Classics which is massive interest to me. In fact just yesterday I asked the missus to swap my subscription of Classic Cars to Modern Classic next time the latter is up for renewal as the former now may as well contain information on buying Lear Jets. I would hazzard a guess Modern Classics say buy low mileage rare motors with good history.

Brightwells auction house now has a modern classics auction every six months (from memory) which has some really interesting motors for real world money. The last having just been on the 17th August:

Brightwells Modern Classic auction results - 17th August 2017

I'll have a look a Not Quite Classics in a minute.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Yet you can buy some delightful motors from the 2000s for buttons. Go figure.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    yes it all happened during the financial crisis money zoomed from the crashing banks into tangible assets, classics cars really did well

Milan.
    Yet you can buy some delightful motors from the 2000s for buttons. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Everything in the classic world has gone bananas. Classic Cars has a market section and it's somewhat dull as you know the price graph of whatever they look at resembles tulip* mania.

* Genuine tulips, not tulip.
    yes it all happened during the financial crisis money zoomed from the crashing banks into tangible assets, classics cars really did well

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Brown was one of the colours, classic and sports car did a spread on the 400 a few years and took a brown one for the article

I love that model it's my favourite Ferrari, but not many like it

it's a proper V12 (SAS will love it), 4 seater grand tourer and still almost affordable

one that surprises me is the Ferrari Dino, for the last 30 years fanatics laughed at the Dino, and now suddenly in the last couple of years the Dino has become the darling of the classic car world and prices for Dino's are now like quarter of a million upwards !!

what happened ?

Milan.
    Everything in the classic world has gone bananas. Classic Cars has a market section and it's somewhat dull as you know the price graph of whatever they look at resembles tulip* mania.

* Genuine tulips, not tulip.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Brown was one of the colours, classic and sports car did a spread on the 400 a few years and took a brown one for the article

I love that model it's my favourite Ferrari, but not many like it

it's a proper V12 (SAS will love it), 4 seater grand tourer and still almost affordable

one that surprises me is the Ferrari Dino, for the last 30 years fanatics laughed at the Dino, and now suddenly in the last couple of years the Dino has become the darling of the classic car world and prices for Dino's are now like quarter of a million upwards !!

what happened ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    is that the same as a 400/412 or earlier

I've always liked the 400/412, but before I buy an old car, I need to build another garage or a barn.

:-(

Milan.
    It is!

Nearly bought a RHD one from Ibiza, was looking forward to the drive back, but car was brown and no way was I driving a brown car...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    1969 Ferrari GT4 2+2 V12, six twin choke Webers, petrol dripping out the exhaust pipes.

The one with the six round tail lights and spinners...
    is that the same as a 400/412 or earlier

I've always liked the 400/412, but before I buy an old car, I need to build another garage or a barn.

:-(

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X