• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: "Super" foods

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Super" foods"

Collapse

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    Smoothies can only count for 1 of your 5 a day regardless of the content as blending fruit & veg affects the nutritional value, and actually releases more sugars than would be present if not blended.
    Are you sure you mean blending, which keeps the whole fruit/ vegetable (including fibre etc.), and not juicing, which removes all the solids and does indeed create a very high sugar/ very high Glycemic /index drink?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    This look like worms.
    You should try them.

They are actually crunchy snacks that the British stole from the Indians.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    This look like worms.
    Designed to be sold to masons...

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This is all you need.

If vegans can eat only this and still look relatively healthy it has to be a superfood.
    This look like worms.

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    So if I buy a bag of humble carrots from say Aldi, is it covered in this synthetic tulipe? What about local greengrocer? i.e. where's the cut off point?
    If the carrots are whole, with skin on and in a bag, they are likely just fine. You'll notice some different between variety of carrots. Different varieties taste slightly different; much like the difference in taste between variety of strawberry.

Pre-prepared trimmed fruit/veg, de-skinned, cut, bagged, almost always have some form of preservative to keep them from decomposing within a few hours. Removing air isn't enough, so they use gasses and complex synthetic starches to keep it looking fresh. If you've had this type of semi-ready fruit/veg before, you'll have noticed that it tastes pretty weird and as an unusual texture.

Edit: to add - the ONLY reason these preservatives and weird synthetic starches are added is to benefit the company, not you. Rather than prepare fresh food to take away, companies would save money and make more profit by using weird artificial chemicals to make something last longer, thus optimising logistics and bulk moving items. That's how supermarkets work.

Don't use supermarkets where possible.
    Last edited by contractorinatractor; 4 August 2017, 17:50.

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But I think that study is flawed - because the key thing is going to bed/sleep on a full/empty stomach.

If they repeated the same test but those who ate between midday and 11 went to sleep at say 3am (so approx 4 hours after the last meal) then would there have been a difference?

I was always under the probably misguided impression that eating late at night was bad because your body was slowing down and did not digest it because you were not active enough.

And when you think about it there must be some truth in this because 'time' is a man made construct.
    OK I'll rephrase it for you. Don't eat loads in the three hours just before you goto sleep.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Now THESE are superfoods....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    WGAS

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Food, I love food...

Bacalhau com natas
    Leitão da Bairrada
    Cozido à Portuguesa
    Polvo à Lagareiro
    Bacalhau à Lagareiro
    Espetada à Madeirence
    Atum à Madeirence
    Peixe de Espada Preto frito ou grelhado com pimentos e cebola.
    Sardinhas
    Ameijoas à Bolhão Pato
    with a glass of red or white wine

Oh Jesus...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Unlike me who'll order a beefburger meal and a side salad.

What are the best things to shove in a salad? Any exotic stuff like kale, spinach or just the usual suspects?
    Just because stuff is exotic doesn't make it better for you than every day stuff. It's also much less likely to be grown locally and therefore fresh. Although I wouldn't class kale and spinach as exotic - are you from up north?

When salading, I aim for as much of a rainbow as clientCo's salad bar will permit -

so Tomatoes, grated carrot, sweetcorn, lettuce/cucumber/watercress/spinach and beetroot. Chuck on a handful of sunflower hearts for good measure. ( I pair said salad with a jacket potato laden with butter and cheese )

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Any 'easy wins' I'm missing?
    Hobgoblin.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Don't eat any vegatable with either an 'a' or an 's' in it

Don't eat any fruit with either a 'b' or an 'o' in it

Don't eat meat from animals that have an 'i', an 'm' or a 'z' in it

Do eat from shops that have a 'y' or an 'c' in their title

Don't drink anything that contains liquids from countries with an 'o' or a 'w' in them

Only use forks that have at least 4 tines

Ensure that your crockery is not made in a factory that is within 100 miles radius of a town where there are a higher percentage of people over 51 then under 13

When preparing your food ensure that you wear mismatched socks and that your underwear has been bought within the last 6 months

Don't believe anything anyone tells you about food because someone else will tell you the exact opposite approximately 4 months later after you realised that the diet you are following has made your left nipple the size and colour of a burnt Tandoori Naan bread

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    24 hours in the day e.g. a clock is a man-made concept.

Getting up when it is light and going to sleep when it is dark isn't e.g. what many animals do.
    Majority of animals have cycles that coincide with light cycles.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    What?
    24 hours in the day e.g. a clock is a man-made concept.

Getting up when it is light and going to sleep when it is dark isn't e.g. what many animals do.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But I think that study is flawed - because the key thing is going to bed/sleep on a full/empty stomach.

If they repeated the same test but those who ate between midday and 11 went to sleep at say 3am (so approx 4 hours after the last meal) then would there have been a difference?

I was always under the probably misguided impression that eating late at night was bad because your body was slowing down and did not digest it because you were not active enough.

And when you think about it there must be some truth in this because 'time' is a man made construct.
    You would likely get a weird result due to people's circadian clocks. (That's unless all your subjects were teenagers and undergraduate students.)

Most people bodies have evolved to do certain things more efficiently in daylight and to be sluggish when it's dark. Yes electric light does screw up people's circadian clocks but studies on shift workers and those who work in the night show they have problems with eating habits and staying awake at night.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X