• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interesting Torygraph article"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Contractors working for public sector see income slashed by up to 30pc in wake of tax crackdown

In short contractors working in the public sector have lost 30% of earnings and their is a brain drain.
    30% was about what we reckoned, wasn't it? And didn't we all predict that contractors would leave the public sector in droves? Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, public sector rates are being cut. You couldn't make this tulip up...

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Interesting comments indeed

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    She only needs another 3000% to afford a house then....
    You reckon I haven't aldready bought her one then? I will be buying her a second one when she settles in the new job.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Or as happened in PS client I started in post-April:-

1. Declare all contractors "inside" and tell them rates are not rising.
    2. Most contractors leave because of rate, inability to claim expenses, and possibility of retrospective action.
    3. Client thinks "bugger we're screwed no".
    4. Client raises rates by 35% to account for contractors additional tax liability.
    5. Contractors (like me) say ok then.

Admitedly, its hassle using an umbrella now but my take home is roughly the same as it was before. Of course, client has to pay 35% more which is then taken off me in tax.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Try pressing the 'show comments' button...
    Crikey, wonders will never cease. The comments actually look sensible and apparently well informed!

Unlike some Daily Mail commenters, especially (saddest of all) the gibbering baboons who seems to think their input on physics articles (Black Holes and suchlike) adds any value.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    [emoji13]

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Huh? AFAIK the Telegraph, unlike the Daily Mail, don't host reader comment sections below articles, and I could see none below that article.

(That's one reason they are losing money hand over fist.)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Some good comments at the bottom of the article.
    Huh? AFAIK the Telegraph, unlike the Daily Mail, don't host reader comment sections below articles, and I could see none below that article.

(That's one reason they are losing money hand over fist.)

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Don't be silly. Maybe a flat, no way a house.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Every cloud etc........

My Daughter is very happy. She has just been offered a new job in the civil service and landed a near 40% pay rise. So, it isn't all bad.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Contractors working for public sector see income slashed by up to 30pc in wake of tax crackdown

In short contractors working in the public sector have lost 30% of earnings and their is a brain drain.
    Every cloud etc........

My Daughter is very happy. She has just been offered a new job in the civil service and landed a near 40% pay rise. So, it isn't all bad.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Some good comments at the bottom of the article.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Every cloud has a silver lining. Put rates up 30% to operate inside. Challenge the tax paid after the contract and win a bonus from HMRC.
    Ssssshhh!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Every cloud has a silver lining. Put rates up 30% to operate inside. Challenge the tax paid after the contract and win a bonus from HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Seems a few departments are self harming to prove a point.

I really don't know what that point is but I'm sure it will make itself known soon...

Plenty of outside work around elsewhere though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X