• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Abolishing Tax Discs a Revenue Winner for HMG."

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Lets not mention the Motor Tax here in Ireland, blatant rip off!!
    Don't get me started

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    £500 per year = £42 per month. On average, a buyer would be losing half of that. Irritating, but hardly significant.
    Lets not mention the Motor Tax here in Ireland, blatant rip off!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Thr problem i have is the fact that you have to retax a car when you purchase it meaning that HMRC get double tax unless you buy the car on the lat day of the month. With contractor car road tax running at 500 quid this is not an insignificant amount of money.
    £500 per year = £42 per month. On average, a buyer would be losing half of that. Irritating, but hardly significant.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    How long do you think it's going to stay at £0 when everyone's driving hybrids or all electrics? I don't know how much it costs to run the DVLA annually, but whatever it is, we'll still be paying for it. It probably won't be called VED any more, but you can bet whatever you like it won't be zero.
    They will just charge everyone within a driving license a tax as it's only fair.....

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    and then you are invited to pay them £0 for the year if you drive a hybrid.
    Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
    FTFY
    How long do you think it's going to stay at £0 when everyone's driving hybrids or all electrics? I don't know how much it costs to run the DVLA annually, but whatever it is, we'll still be paying for it. It probably won't be called VED any more, but you can bet whatever you like it won't be zero.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Thr problem i have is the fact that you have to retax a car when you purchase it meaning that HMRC get double tax unless you buy the car on the lat day of the month. With contractor car road tax running at 500 quid this is not an insignificant amount of money.
    Yep - almost 40 minutes pay! Bastards.

Leave a comment:

• DannyF1966
    replied
    and then you are invited to pay them £0 for the year if you drive a hybrid.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It doesn't work like that. They send you a paper reminder with a 16 digit code which you enter online, the system checks you have a valid MOT & Insurance, and then you are invited to pay them £245 or whatever it is for the year.

The online system is much easier than going to the post office, but it's certainly not perfect. If, for any reason, you don't get that bit of paper, you are pretty well screwed.
    Also, the reminder (V11) is valid for only 28 days. After that, the 16 digit number is not recognized.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Yes it does. I haven't had a reminder or a code since I set up the DD online when they changed the system. They automatically take the payment each year - it's literally set and forget.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing
    Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed the change.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You could get one of these linky They have a nice red skull design.
    Oooh that's quite funky.. I kinda like the vintage disc too in a retro sort of way...

Nice to see someone making money from a simple idea

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    This... I still do - as long as I get 12 months and don't lapse/sorn it for any reason I always know which month it expires. Simples.

you can also check the expiry date online so there's no excuse for missing it.
    I never looked at it. it stayed there because I cba removing it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    This... I still do - as long as I get 12 months and don't lapse/sorn it for any reason I always know which month it expires. Simples.

You could get one of these linky They have a nice red skull design.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

After the change, I had the tax disc showing in my car until I sold it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    It doesn't work like that.

Yes it does. I haven't had a reminder or a code since I set up the DD online when they changed the system. They automatically take the payment each year - it's literally set and forget.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing

2. Renewing your vehicle tax

Your vehicle tax will renew automatically when it’s due to run out.

You’ll get an email or letter telling you when your Direct Debit payments will be taken.

You won’t be sent a vehicle tax reminder letter (V11).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X