• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: mobile phone - VAT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "mobile phone - VAT"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    If a phone is £100 the VAT is not £20, but £16.67 You know how to calculate VAT right?

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Get a valid VAT invoice for the handset in the company name and you can reclaim the VAT. If the phone is for mixed personal/business use there's a limit of one phone per employee but you do not need to apportion the VAT for any personal use. No limits on the number of phones if they are just for business use but each one still needs to pass the wholly and exclusively test.

The phone itself can be offset against CT as a revenue expense or using capital allowances if you capitalise the handset (depending on the value and your company policy).
    Perfect, thank you

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Just be aware that depending on the cost of the phone your accountant may decide it is an fixed asset. This means the cost will be depreciated over 3 years.
    I used to capitalise my handsets (new iPhones so value ranging from £400-600) but now don't bother, not on a 2 year upgrade cycle.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by konsultant View Post
    Yes VAT is applicable but for business contract the VAT can be offset against your output.

However my question was different

- If I can claim purchase of mobile as a business expense to get CT relief
    - If I can reclaim VAT paid on the purchase in addition to the above

Thanks
    Get a valid VAT invoice for the handset in the company name and you can reclaim the VAT. If the phone is for mixed personal/business use there's a limit of one phone per employee but you do not need to apportion the VAT for any personal use. No limits on the number of phones if they are just for business use but each one still needs to pass the wholly and exclusively test.

The phone itself can be offset against CT as a revenue expense or using capital allowances if you capitalise the handset (depending on the value and your company policy).

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I also found the Amazon tablets, Echo & Firestick I bought last night are legit business expenses as well. Cushty.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Just be aware that depending on the cost of the phone your accountant may decide it is an fixed asset. This means the cost will be depreciated over 3 years.

This is why I said talk to your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Yes VAT is applicable but for business contract the VAT can be offset against your output.

However my question was different

- If I can claim purchase of mobile as a business expense to get CT relief
    - If I can reclaim VAT paid on the purchase in addition to the above

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    VAT is applicable to mobile phone usage? Don't see VAT charged (or MwSt) charged in Germany for mobile phones usage.

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    Thanks you, yes that I was going too.

I wanted to just confirm I can also claim CT relief in addition to reclaiming VAT.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by konsultant View Post
    lol, yes I have.

Looking at some mobile deals now - late night shopping.

Appreciate if you can answer
    You need to buy the phone in the business name.

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    replied
    lol, yes I have.

Looking at some mobile deals now - late night shopping.

Appreciate if you can answer

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ask your accountant tomorrow morning.

You have an accountant right?

Leave a comment:

• konsultant
    started a topic mobile phone - VAT

mobile phone - VAT

Quick question please -

If I buy a phone outright can I reclaim the VAT? I am on standard VAT.

My understanding is yes. Can I then also claim the same amount for corporation tax relief ?

E.g. I buy a phone for £100, and offset VAT of £20.

Can I also then get £100 towards CT relief showing the purchase as a business expense?

Regards

Working...
X