• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Racist Politician..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh look a racist aristocrat - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

Least this one's going to prison.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well that is just nonsense. It should, of course, have read "The Frogs start here".

They're a provocative bunch at sockie school.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

In the geography classroom, there was a huge map of the world with the UK slap bang in the middle & someone had scrawled the words "The w*gs start here" across the English Channel.
    Well that is just nonsense. It should, of course, have read "The Frogs start here".

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Yes, bigots were much more discerning back then. They may have hated everyone, but at least they did a bit of background first before volleying the abuse!

Not at the school I went to.

In the geography classroom, there was a huge map of the world with the UK slap bang in the middle & someone had scawled the words "The w*gs start here" across the English Channel.

It remained there throughout my O'Level Geography course

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    At least he differentiated rather than putting them all under one banner.
    Yes, bigots were much more discerning back then. They may have hated everyone, but at least they did a bit of background first before volleying the abuse!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I seem to remember a furore back in the late 70s where some Conservative MP had a rant about "W*gs, n****rs and c**ns".

Perhaps things haven't moved on quite so much as we thought...
    At least he differentiated rather than putting them all under one banner.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I seem to remember a furore back in the late 70s where some Conservative MP had a rant about "W*gs, n****rs and c**ns".
    Can't you narrow it down a bit? Back then that probably applied to all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied

Perhaps things haven't moved on quite so much as we thought...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So she should have said the zigger in the wood pile.

Or the modern equivalent. "The communist is in the garden shed".
    Or as we say on CUK, the mod is bleeding the radiator.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The problem with some people in IT is that they don't understand subtlety.
    Well you'd know all about that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Agreed. But the easily offended brigade will have your guts for garters if you do.

A bit odd that it is regarded as a deeply racist term, but particularly so if it is uttered by a white person.
    Learn your history.

Seems that this distinction is, in itself, inherently racist.

If it is so offensive then it should be consistently regarded as such irrespective of the particulars of the user IMHO.
    The problem with some people in IT is that they don't understand subtlety.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I should be able to write the world IMO but IIRC it is not allowed even in context here?
    Agreed. But the easily offended brigade will have your guts for garters if you do.

A bit odd that it is regarded as a deeply racist term, but particularly so if it is uttered by a white person.

Seems that this distinction is, in itself, inherently racist.

If it is so offensive then it should be consistently regarded as such irrespective of the particulars of the user IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I meant like "all my ****az"... I should be able to write the world IMO but IIRC it is not allowed even in context here?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I thought communists rent allotments now?
    FTFY - property is theft, Comrade Sue

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I thought communists had allotments now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X