• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Car nicked

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car nicked"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Four wheel clamps is what you need. Deterrent to wheel clampers as well.
    Make sure you get a full set....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Would be good if one could leave out on prominent display for the flash car a fake set of keys that would explode red dye from the dashboard when they were turned in the car.

But sod's law says the owner would accidently grab them one day instead of the real keys ...
    Decoy cars like decoy bikes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    You need a good visible deterrent....

Four wheel clamps is what you need. Deterrent to wheel clampers as well. I like the chain to the lampost idea as it deters tow trucks.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Ah, "Great Minds" and all that.

Besides my red dye idea (see above) or yours, I think the most practical would be a high definition camera with flash that would take an image of the perp and immediately wirelessly transmit it somewhere safe.
    You need a good visible deterrent....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Would be good if one could leave out on prominent display for the flash car a fake set of keys that would explode red dye from the dashboard when they were turned in the car.

But sod's law says the owner would accidently grab them one day instead of the real keys ...
    In your case, that would be a marked improvement.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yeah - in general most cars are stolen to order nowadays.

Unless it is a really easy 'opportunistic' theft e.g. some fool left the keys in the car when nipping to the shops.

Which is why it surprises me re the op's theft - it was 'only' a golf r/gti?

Only worth 20k?
    Golfs don't really stand out. There as a Bugatti would.

Golfs are unlikely to have a tracker on them. There as a Ferrari would likely as a condition of insurance.

Also if you live in an area where people don't commonly nick cars from drives then no-one going to be looking for you, have high-level security measures or looking out for someone casing the joint.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Certainly a deterrent.

My idea now is to have some fake set of car keys left out but when they get in the car it immediately locks them in it without it starting.

Got to be worth a punt on that kickstarter thing, who's with me?

qh
    Ah, "Great Minds" and all that.

Besides my red dye idea (see above) or yours, I think the most practical would be a high definition camera with flash that would take an image of the perp and immediately wirelessly transmit it somewhere safe.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Car nicked

Unless it is a really easy 'opportunistic' theft e.g. some fool left the keys in the car when nipping to the shops.

Only worth 20k?
    Happened to me about 10 years ago, I was away on holiday and my house was broken in to. The only room they went through was the master bedroom. Ripped a TV off the wall, took a Bose clock radio, had all the drawers tipped on the floor to find the spare key to my car. They went into the office and took the laptop and then into the 2nd bedroom where they put everything into a bag. Beside the bag was a few thousand pounds worth of camera gear which they left.
    I had a red Alfa Brera at the time, it was at my girlfriend's house at the time and was normally only at my house at weekends. They had obviously been watching and decided to get the key, hope I wouldnt notice, then drive it away a few days later.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your car was stolen to order.

Happens in my area to bikes - any kind pushbike over £200, moped, scooter or motorbike.

They case the property out and come back to nick them.

Only worth 20k?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Indeed - not sure where you lot live but where I am you can leave your car on the drive without worrying

Guy down the road (near centre of town) has an R8 and new 5.0 Mustang on his drive
    Your car was stolen to order.

Happens in my area to bikes - any kind pushbike over £200, moped, scooter or motorbike.

They case the property out and come back to nick them.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Make sure you hide the car keys very carefully. ...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    You seriously need to give your head a shake.

If you cant fit a motor worth between 24,000 and 30,000 in a garage, perhaps your priority might be a house where you can. Just a thought, pet.

If it's a two car household, put your most expensive car in the garage. Dont have a second expensive motor that needs to sleep on the drive.

For your third point, see my point 1!
    Not all of us live in modern houses. The upstairs was completed on my house when Karl Benz was 14, the downstairs possibly predates the hydrogen internal combustion engine.
    I don't have a garage.
    ...if you want somewhere to tether a horse, we have those.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Indeed - not sure where you lot live but where I am you can leave your car on the drive without worrying

Guy down the road (near centre of town) has an R8 and new 5.0 Mustang on his drive

No problems.

But there should be much stricter penalties for the scrotes who nick them - like a baseball bat to the face a few times.

Actually a lot of times until their brains run down the grid

Problem solved!

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Never ever ceases to amaze me the number of people who'll leave over 20 grands worth of car on the drive and have a garage full of crap worth about 2 and 6 pence.

Learn your lesson. Those who havent or wont, tough.
    Yep. And girls who go out in short dresses deserve to be raped too.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Yeah keep your chin up, V for Victory and all that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X