• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK economic data weakens"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Theresa May 'positive and optimistic' about new trade deals after Brexit

Theresa May reminds me of the sorry punters in “Dragon’s Den”.

Dragon 1, “How many orders have you had so far?”

Punter. “At lot of people have shown their interest.”

Dragon 1, “Yes, but how many actual orders have you had so far?”

Punter. “people like the product.”

Dragon 2, “What is your projected turnover?.”

Punter. “turnover? We want £500,000 for 1% of our company”
    With the way sterling is going, that will seem reasonable soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...rexit/?ref=rss

Theresa May has hailed the "powerful vote of confidence" in Britain Donald Trump and other world leaders have shown with their "strong desire" to strike new trade deals after Brexit.
    Theresa May reminds me of the sorry punters in “Dragon’s Den”.

Dragon 1, “How many orders have you had so far?”

Punter. “At lot of people have shown their interest.”

Dragon 1, “Yes, but how many actual orders have you had so far?”

Punter. “people like the product.”

Dragon 2, “What is your projected turnover?.”

Punter. “turnover? We want £500,000 for 1% of our company”
    Last edited by Paddy; 8 July 2017, 19:57.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And in other news CUK cretin attempts philosophy of science and succeeds only in sounding like a moron
    not really. I was just correcting your misunderstanding of a comment that I made.

In other news SASGuru adds nothing to a thread but snide comments and hysteria.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    I'll try and explain to you want I meant.

If I drop an apple it will fall the ground. Whether I attribute that to Newton's law of gravity, Einstein's general theory of relativity or some quantum theory of gravity, the apple will fall.

In fact, even if I believe the falling action is caused by some special ground-pixies with miniature vacuum cleaners who spend their days sucking objects to the ground, it will fall.

That's what I meant by an "Immutable law of physics", the observable action, not the current human model that interprets that action. Of course, scientific theories are subject to revision as more data and observations become available. I thought that was too obvious to explain to a genius like yourself.

That's why I said "Immutable law" not "Immutable theory".
    And in other news CUK cretin attempts philosophy of science and succeeds only in sounding like a moron

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "If I drop an apple it will fall the ground"

Not always...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Weak! Put some effort into it.
    Ass is hardly worth it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so its spot on for you then?
    Weak! Put some effort into it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Only if you're a cretin.
    so its spot on for you then?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Wrong again. There's no such thing as an immutable law of physics.
    I'll try and explain to you want I meant.

If I drop an apple it will fall the ground. Whether I attribute that to Newton's law of gravity, Einstein's general theory of relativity or some quantum theory of gravity, the apple will fall.

In fact, even if I believe the falling action is caused by some special ground-pixies with miniature vacuum cleaners who spend their days sucking objects to the ground, it will fall.

That's what I meant by an "Immutable law of physics", the observable action, not the current human model that interprets that action. Of course, scientific theories are subject to revision as more data and observations become available. I thought that was too obvious to explain to a genius like yourself.

That's why I said "Immutable law" not "Immutable theory".

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Crazy analogy but it works!
    Only if you're a cretin.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    FFS, am I going to have to type this out again. OK, I'll do it for the sake of the board.

You are assuming "all things being equal", which they aren't. Yes, the EU will offer the UK a worse deal than today. That part is logical. But outside of that deal and the union, chess pieces can be moved around so that overall the UK could have a better position than today. Your point is moot and trivial.

For example, sassy got offered a uni place and a poly place. Those two offers were the only options he had. He lost the uni place because his grades were too low due to bad choice of hobbies. But he took the poly place. On the surface he thought he had the worse deal. But, poly meant he spent less money travelling. He invested that extra money and bought a car with it. That car enabled him to get to dogging hotspots where he made many friends.

See what I mean? You are correct about the deal being worse than today's deal. But from that point, your inferences are debatable, not certainties.
    Crazy analogy but it works!

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Wrong again. There's no such thing as an immutable law of physics. All physical theories are falsifiable. There is only certainty in mathematics.
    You've made a category error in your "thinking" (as well as showing you don't understand physics) - it is inevitable and an immutable law of logic that any deal with the EU MUST be worse than the best possible deal we have now.
    It's an error that our leaders are making too and one that Barnier pointed out yesterday.

'Frictionless trade' with EU 'not possible' post-Brexit

So the costs of the inevitable "friction" is what it boils down to.
    FFS, am I going to have to type this out again. OK, I'll do it for the sake of the board.

You are assuming "all things being equal", which they aren't. Yes, the EU will offer the UK a worse deal than today. That part is logical. But outside of that deal and the union, chess pieces can be moved around so that overall the UK could have a better position than today. Your point is moot and trivial.

For example, sassy got offered a uni place and a poly place. Those two offers were the only options he had. He lost the uni place because his grades were too low due to bad choice of hobbies. But he took the poly place. On the surface he thought he had the worse deal. But, poly meant he spent less money travelling. He invested that extra money and bought a car with it. That car enabled him to get to dogging hotspots where he made many friends.

See what I mean? You are correct about the deal being worse than today's deal. But from that point, your inferences are debatable, not certainties.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    No. We just think we know. It may even be highly probable. But it is not an immutable law of physics.

Wrong again. There's no such thing as an immutable law of physics. All physical theories are falsifiable. There is only certainty in mathematics.
    You've made a category error in your "thinking" (as well as showing you don't understand physics) - it is inevitable and an immutable law of logic that any deal with the EU MUST be worse than the best possible deal we have now.
    It's an error that our leaders are making too and one that Barnier pointed out yesterday.

http://news.sky.com/story/frictionle...rexit-10938672

So the costs of the inevitable "friction" is what it boils down to.
    Last edited by sasguru; 7 July 2017, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    That's where you're wrong.
    We do know.
    No. We just think we know. It may even be highly probable. But it is not an immutable law of physics.

But I agree with your statement "So enjoy today but make sure you have a war-chest, keep your skills up-to date, your debts manageable and your mind open to new opportunities".
    I'm full of pop-wisdom.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X