• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Poles versus Brits

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Poles versus Brits"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Nope.
    It's simply bad manners and bad business.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Had they not phoned to advise they were running behind schedule?
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I know you're all dying for an update.
    Well the guys turned up in the end. Turned out to be Polish employees from the British firm.
    When I asked why they were late they said they weren't scheduled on this job originally, but the team who were had a couple of members who called in sick. I didn't ask if that team was English, but I bet they are
    Had they not phoned to advise they were running behind schedule?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I know you're all dying for an update.
    Well the guys turned up in the end. Turned out to be Polish employees from the British firm.
    When I asked why they were late they said they weren't scheduled on this job originally, but the team who were had a couple of members who called in sick. I didn't ask if that team was English, but I bet they are

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    You're in funny form today.
    Trying to avoid finishing a document before my hols.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    It's called 'DIY', even on here.
    You're in funny form today.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Just not on here.
    It's called 'DIY', even on here.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Yes they do. It's called 'DIY'.
    Just not on here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I was asking if anyone did it, not what it was called.
    Yes they do. It's called 'DIY'.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Doesn't anyone do some of this themselves?
    Deffo... beats paying some dodgy Eastern Europeans

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    It's called 'DIY'.
    I was asking if anyone did it, not what it was called.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    It's called 'DIY'.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Young Brits are eager to learn a trade due to the few jobs around for them.

I've spoken to people who run companies in the trades and they've said that they actually go through a lot of young Brits to get and keep the keen ones. On the other hand foreigners are keen regardless of their age.
    We recently had some work done on our home. One day in addition to the normal carpenters, there was one of our neighbours (who I didn't know very well but recognised, guessing he must be 17ish). Chatted a bit, and he's doing an apprenticeship in the local college, with practical work experience with these guys. Great I thought.

A couple of weeks later, I hadn't seen him again, and asked the main guys how it was going. Was gutted to hear them say he shows no interest when he's there, virtually never shows up, and when they call him he doesn't answer, just texts much later that day saying he didn't think he was working that day. It had evidently happened enough times that they were convinced it wasn't a genuine mistake.

A real shame, as he's a nice kid, and at least superficially it seemed a good opportunity. Unfortunately it seems there's zero work ethic, just wants to hang around with his mates. I'm unsure how much of this his mother knows...!

Obviously that's just one anecdotal example, but I imagine there are many more like it. Like you say Sue Ellen, I'm sure if as a firm you give enough a chance, a few will be brill and make it worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I've found British tradesmen tulip if they aren't young or don't work for themselves.

Young Brits are eager to learn a trade due to the few jobs around for them.

I've spoken to people who run companies in the trades and they've said that they actually go through a lot of young Brits to get and keep the keen ones. On the other hand foreigners are keen regardless of their age.
    That's true, it's very hard for them to enter the game.

It was easy for me to enter my profession. But I'm not a tradesman.

Are you a tradesman? How was your tradesmans entrance?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X