• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Does this mean...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does this mean..."

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    I have had tomato with dessert, nothing like a nice creamy mature stilton on some rye crackers with a little bit of tomato on the top.

Anyway we have Tomato juice readily available (you usually only get fruit jucies in cartons, have you ever heard of cucumber juice???) and have you never had apple in a salad?? Just because the majority of people eat tomatoes with things that are classified as a vegtable doesn't automatically make it a vegtable.

Anyway i doubt the US supreme court classified a tomatoe as a vegtable, more likely they classified a to-may-to as a vegtable, whatever one of those is....

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    Special ?

Oh yes, he's "special" all right.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    It's not my fault Chico's God made me so...
    Special ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    You're so funny AtW.
    It's not my fault Chico's God made me so...

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    It is odd because it's wrong - you don't get BLT or chicken salad sandwich with "fruit" - it contains veg like cucumber (which also has got seeds and turns into veg from flower - I know I grown them).

The view of the Supreme court makes perfect sense.
    You're so funny AtW.
    The world needs more people like you to be worried about such things.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    You pointed out that you found it odd that we (The UK) classify it as a fruit, I highlighted why that is.
    It is odd because it's wrong - you don't get BLT or chicken salad sandwich with "fruit" - it contains veg like cucumber (which also has got seeds and turns into veg from flower - I know I grown them).

The view of the Supreme court makes perfect sense.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I have, they're called dessert tomatos as well.
    What happened threaded ? Did the sausage roll spit you out ?

Is that your horse btw ?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    snaw, have you ever had a tomato as dessert? Simple yes or no.
    Irrelevent. Scientific definition of a tomato is a fruit. In the UK we class it as a fruit. What and how the US chooses to classify it's vegetables and fruits is neither here nor there. You pointed out that you found it odd that we (The UK) classify it as a fruit, I highlighted why that is.

You live in the UK, and are posting on a UK BB, so learn to live with the fact that a tomato is a fruit or move to a country where your kind of heretical fruit classification is tolerated.

I'm off to watch the bhoys put Manure to the sword. I suggest you go have another cherry beer, or whatever other 'fruity' beverage you are trying out tonight. Maybe dial a hooker too, it'll change your world view 100%, I guarantee.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I have, they're called dessert tomatos as well.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    "The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy in 1893, declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, using the popular definition which classifies vegetable by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. The case is known as Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

High enough authority?

P.S.

Have you ever seen how cucumbers grow? They have plenty of seeds too you know!
    Ah well, I forgot we are subservient to the US supreme court in the UK. Silly me. Who needs science when we have the US supreme court (And creationism) to explain everything to us dunderheads on the other side of the atlantic.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    But in American Law pi was 3 at some point, and OJ didn't do it.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Authoratative source of definition please?
    "The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy in 1893, declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, using the popular definition which classifies vegetable by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. The case is known as Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

High enough authority?

P.S.

Scientific definition: "The ripened, fully developed ovary of a flower containing more than 1 seed".
    Have you ever seen how cucumbers grow? They have plenty of seeds too you know!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    If an object contains Judge Fred's seed, then it definitely is a fruit.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Tomato is a veg, just like cucumber and others.

Fruits are cherries, bananas, peaches, apricots etc.
    Authoratative source of definition please?

("I know it is so" doesn't work after age 10).

Scientific definition: "The ripened, fully developed ovary of a flower containing more than 1 seed".
    Everyday mnemonic: a tomato is like Liberace, not a vegetable but a fruit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X