• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "High rise blocks failing fire tests"

Collapse

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Except the folks being rehoused don't own them. If you read beyond the DM headlines you'll see that they were bought at cost from the developer by the Corporation of London as part of their social housing stock and are owned by them, not by the tenants. 68 flats for £10M is <£150,000 per flat. Shows you how much of a markup there is in the London property market.
    Yeah, I had already priced in the "right to buy" Dave.

Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Except the folks being rehoused don't own them. If you read beyond the DM headlines you'll see that they were bought at cost from the developer by the Corporation of London as part of their social housing stock and are owned by them, not by the tenants. 68 flats for £10M is <£150,000 per flat. Shows you how much of a markup there is in the London property market.
    You've missed out the cost of the land (with planning). That's were the real money is.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Is there room for a calculated burn to get relocated to high end accomodation. Get everyone out and torch it. It's unsafe.

The middle class is being usurped. All of a sudden the underclass owns million pound property and the middle class owns half million pound property

RIP those who died at Grenfell.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I know this is tongue in cheek but this thought will be going through all the other people living in dilapidated blocks. They will be seriously envious of the poor souls who were found the million pound houses and I would not be surprised if they are already engaging in discussions with the council on when they can get them.
    Meanwhile in the real world... The blocks concerned will have their occupants placed in temporary accomodation until the offending cladding is removed, and possibly replaced with fire retardent rain screen instead. A LOT of money will be made doing this.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Is there room for a calculated burn to get relocated to high end accomodation. Get everyone out and torch it. It's unsafe.

The middle class is being usurped. All of a sudden the underclass owns million pound property and the middle class owns half million pound property

I know this is tongue in cheek but this thought will be going through all the other people living in dilapidated blocks. They will be seriously envious of the poor souls who were found the million pound houses and I would not be surprised if they are already engaging in discussions with the council on when they can get them.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I thought you pair were cool
    Deary me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's all coming out now!! I thought you pair were cool, but you're a geeky network spod and mordac is a thief.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well this is the story of politics isn't it.

I worked my backside off building & making stuff, whereas Mordac sponged & scavenged off the endeavours of others.
    It's all coming out now!! I thought you pair were cool, but you're a geeky network spod and mordac is a pedant.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

I worked my backside off building & making stuff, whereas Mordac sponged & scavenged off the endeavours of others.
    I think "sponged & scavenged" is a tad harsh. I prefer "blatantly nicked". It's a bit more honest...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Sorry to disappoint (and to be fair I'm bloody good at that) but we did actually work together, about 15 years ago - actually that's not strictly true, MF worked his fingers to the bone building a test network for a fantastic product that was going to make the world a better place, and I did f-all apart from strip it to the bone, scavenging bits to repair the corporate network, upon which the clientco had spent about 20 quid. And most of that was on a new mouse mat for the server room.
    And before anyone else points out, MORDAC is not an anagram of CAMCORD. Try counting the letters.
    The state of remedial education these days is starting to get depressing. We'll be back in caves before you know it...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    You are a dogger?

I wondered what "mordac" meant but now i see it's an anagram of CAMCORD ... you pervert!
    Sorry to disappoint (and to be fair I'm bloody good at that) but we did actually work together, about 15 years ago - actually that's not strictly true, MF worked his fingers to the bone building a test network for a fantastic product that was going to make the world a better place, and I did f-all apart from strip it to the bone, scavenging bits to repair the corporate network, upon which the clientco had spent about 20 quid. And most of that was on a new mouse mat for the server room.
    And before anyone else points out, MORDAC is not an anagram of CAMCORD. Try counting the letters.
    The state of remedial education these days is starting to get depressing. We'll be back in caves before you know it...

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    If only that were funny...

(I know we met 'in action' so to speak, but you are quite difficult to defend sometimes. Try leaving a small pause between a thought leaving your brain, and hitting the keyboard. Twenty years should do it...)
    You are a dogger?

I wondered what "mordac" meant but now i see it's an anagram of CAMCORD ... you pervert!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    If another 3 go up can we do a Two Ronnies Sketch with Boris & Theresa. Four candles.
    If only that were funny...

(I know we met 'in action' so to speak, but you are quite difficult to defend sometimes. Try leaving a small pause between a thought leaving your brain, and hitting the keyboard. Twenty years should do it...)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

If another 3 go up can we do a Two Ronnies Sketch with Boris & Theresa. Four candles.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    started a topic High rise blocks failing fire tests

High rise blocks failing fire tests

Working...
X