• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Glastonbury - la la la"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Any attempt to pay for things for him results in even more grief when he kicks off. Hes worse if someone else spends money on him. Otherwise I'd just go and buy it.

Bought him new microwave once because old one was playing up. He moaned so much I had to send it back!
    Convince him he doesn't need travel insurance and buy it for him anyway.

Or just go on the cruise yourself.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Any attempt to pay for things for him results in even more grief when he kicks off. Hes worse if someone else spends money on him. Otherwise I'd just go and buy it.

Bought him new microwave once because old one was playing up. He moaned so much I had to send it back!
    How was Glasto?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why not treat him? It's not like he's had an easy life.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Exactly - you're a long time dead as I keep telling my old man. Hes disabled and does struggle a bit. Had chance to go to Spain for a week recently. He was dead keen to go but needed travel insurance so I got him a quote - £200. Thought this wasnt too bad considering his age etc.

Bugger refused to pay this (daylight robbery he said) even though hes loaded and could easily afford.

Much respect for the people I saw at glasto in wheelchairs etc who crack on live life as best they can. No chance of my old man!
    Why not treat him? It's not like he's had an easy life.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Exactly - you're a long time dead as I keep telling my old man. Hes disabled and does struggle a bit. Had chance to go to Spain for a week recently. He was dead keen to go but needed travel insurance so I got him a quote - £200. Thought this wasnt too bad considering his age etc.

Bugger refused to pay this (daylight robbery he said) even though hes loaded and could easily afford.

Much respect for the people I saw at glasto in wheelchairs etc who crack on live life as best they can. No chance of my old man!
    My Grandad's 94 and he still travels as much as he can.

He lives in NZ and is only not coming back to the UK this year, as his dog has gone blind

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    A good friend in her 40's who is very disabled with MS went on a cruise with a friend two years ago. She'll never be able to do anything like that again, so you need to live while you can (accepting as HJ says psychological impact as well).

My grandad in his 80s and in the '80s worked out it was nearly cheaper to go on a two month winter package holiday to Spain (dead cheap off season) every year than it was to heat the house. Had a great time every year and picked himself up a girlfriend.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Good for them. Just because you have a disability - why should you miss out?

You're a long time dead. Keep telling my old man (82) this. Hes been invited on a cruise but wont got because he thinks the insurance will be expensive (hes loaded though) and it'll be too much for him. Admitedly, he walks with a stick and cant walk far but there are worse off than him but hey ho.

If he was in a wheelchair he'd just never leave the house. Hes weird like that.
    A good friend in her 40's who is very disabled with MS went on a cruise with a friend two years ago. She'll never be able to do anything like that again, so you need to live while you can (accepting as HJ says psychological impact as well).

My grandad in his 80s and in the '80s worked out it was nearly cheaper to go on a two month winter package holiday to Spain (dead cheap off season) every year than it was to heat the house. Had a great time every year and picked himself up a girlfriend.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...eeding-a-medic

15,000 at Glastonbury set record for biggest human peace sign

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    One of two friends in a wheelchair makes a full time hobby of going out and about being a full-time nuisance especially trying to gain access in to shops and checkout that have too smaller isles.
    Good on him or her. Thing is if s/he has difficultly getting access then people who are able-bodied but have a leg injury, are dragging kids with them or leading a special needs adult will also have difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    One of two friends in a wheelchair makes a full time hobby of going out and about being a full-time nuisance especially trying to gain access in to shops and checkout that have too smaller isles.
    Good to hear he's out & about

You're a long time dead. Keep telling my old man (82) this. Hes been invited on a cruise but wont got because he thinks the insurance will be expensive (hes loaded though) and it'll be too much for him. Admitedly, he walks with a stick and cant walk far but there are worse off than him but hey ho.

Disability affect everyone difference both mentally & physically.

For those that can use a wheelchair (not everyone has the arm strength to use a wheelchair independently) - Some view a wheelchair as a means of transport others see it as an admission of defeat or confirmation that they are one step from death .

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Awesome - sorry that your Mrs is suffering, but glad to hear she's at least giving it a shot! Can't wait for my son to be old enough for a gig/festival
    No refund so might as well.

Glasto is good for kids - daughter is 4. Son is 13 - not going this year. Its free if you're UNDER 13 and he wasnt fussed about going. Saying that its a bit hectic on sat/sun which is why we do the kid drop after friday night.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    I hope your Mrs gets better / does not deteriorate.

Going out & about with a wheelchair is indeed a royal PITA

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    I hope your Mrs gets better / does not deteriorate.

Going out & about with a wheelchair is indeed a royal PITA
    Well her long term thing is chronic/lifelong but her knee op should help. Improving since Friday at least.

It'd be too difficult in glasto with wheelchair methings. LASt year I towed youngest in garden cart through the mud - neatry effing killed me. No chance this year if its muddy - the bugger can walk. Shes 4 now so one year heavier too!

Probably going to drop cart off at one of the propery points and use it if we need to. Luckily, disabled car park in much closer. Last time it was west campervan which is miles - took us probably 90 mins to tow back up hill in mud.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Awesome - sorry that your Mrs is suffering, but glad to hear she's at least giving it a shot! Can't wait for my son to be old enough for a gig/festival

Leave a comment:

Working...
X