• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it time to move abroad?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    And DUP are insisting on lower Corp Tax for NI to compete with their cheaper neighbours
    That's already been agreed a while ago - NI is getting 12.5% corp tax!

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The last bit very important - they (Tory Scum) planned tax assault again, at least now it will be more difficult - I hope party sacks her for wrong focus on hardcore Labour where as they needed to focus on core vote plus get young - Lib Dems were useful in that, screwing them over fooked Tory too
    And DUP are insisting on lower Corp Tax for NI to compete with their cheaper neighbours

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    First need to get PR Visa. It's a tough one. My gf needs divorce first,I need to pass english test and prove all contracting and permament experience (and that's quite a bit of companies in 2 countries to call now).. I reckon the earlest I'll get the visa will be late next year. Not to mention 7 vet visits to check up my cat....
    Get on it, you're not getting any younger and these things take time. 7 vet visits? You da main playa!!

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    That's a very subjective question. Have you been to Australia? If I was you, I would go on a long holiday and try different places, talk to people, check prices, do job interviews, see for yourself. Then go home and make a decision.
    +1

I was in Oz (Melbourne) earlier this year and although we liked it we found it to be very expensive (food and eating out especially - and this is coming from a Londoner & adopted New Yorker). Driving down the great ocean road was fantastic and I would come back for a holiday (I have been once before many years ago so knew what to expect). However to live and work there would be a big sacrifice (housing is comparatively expensive near any major Oz city as mentioned by another poster) and I would rather keep hopping over the pond and be a much shorter (and cheaper) flight to either of my bases.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    That's a very subjective question. Have you been to Australia? If I was you, I would go on a long holiday and try different places, talk to people, check prices, do job interviews, see for yourself. Then go home and make a decision.
    First need to get PR Visa. It's a tough one. My gf needs divorce first,I need to pass english test and prove all contracting and permament experience (and that's quite a bit of companies in 2 countries to call now).. I reckon the earlest I'll get the visa will be late next year. Not to mention 7 vet visits to check up my cat....

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun

Did you take that outside Bora Bora at 8am?

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    So which area do you recommend in AUS? Business/ beaches/ contracting and weather (so melbourne doesnt tick the last requirement)

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    God no. Australian migration is so 1990s.

I'm semi-retired in the med. And today it is bl00dy boiling.
    Looks like a lot of fun

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    None except for an unfulfilled dream. I feel it will be relaxing me greatly.
    OK, so no sailing experience, no qualification, doing a 5 day course to get your ICC and you think it's going to be relaxing.

You might be better doing a couple of short courses with the RYA first of all to see what it's like.
    The ICC qualification is a fairly basic one, I can't remember if they throw it in with competent crew or just in a box of Wheatabix, but at least it will let you see what 5 days at sea feels like.

Before you do it, learn your knots. Most important are probably the bowline, half hitch and clove hitch.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied

So which area do you recommend in AUS? Business/ beaches/ contracting and weather (so melbourne doesnt tick the last requirement)

What qualifications/experience do you currently have?
    None except for an unfulfilled dream. I feel it will be relaxing me greatly.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Thanks,
    I'm planing to make international sailing ceritificate (I think it's up to 15m ) down in cornwall. Involves 5 days on sea.
    What qualifications/experience do you currently have?

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    You are Australia based ? Where ?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I've done some sailing in my time. It's a holiday for me, so I don't live near a marina (closest one is about half an hour away).
    Get a flight, pick up a bare boat, sail for a week or two.

Make sure you've done a few charters, then go off and get qualified - start with competent crew, then move on to day skipper etc. Then start bare boat sailing. A few holidays of that and then you'll know whether it's for you or not.
    A week in the Caribbean works out about £6k for 4 people on a 40ft cat or £4K on a mono (plus flights).
    A week in Croatia could be as little as £600 for 2 people.

Stick another thousand on for a skipper (if you're not qualified) or do it as a flotilla for a bit more.
    Thanks,
    I'm planing to make international sailing ceritificate (I think it's up to 15m ) down in cornwall. Involves 5 days on sea.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    This is entrapment. And you ain't slick enough to pull it off kid.

But seriously. You want a 6:1 return on your money? It's funny you should ask actually because I've just potentially invested heavily in an Australian tech based superannuation fund and that kind of return is possibly well within our remit actually. Over what period of time are you looking to invest? When can you make your first payment to me? I recommend what we investors call "averaging in". Don't put it all in at once. Slide it in slowly, carefully measuring the response, until you've got it all in. You're then well on you're way to your dream of that golden tan on that super yacht!
    You are Australia based ? Where ?

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Which part of Australia do you recommend to start business (I'm thinking tendering and consultancy )?. Or anything I can invest about half a mil AUD and turn into few millions
    This is entrapment. And you ain't slick enough to pull it off kid.

But seriously. You want a 6:1 return on your money? It's funny you should ask actually because I've just potentially invested heavily in an Australian tech based superannuation fund and that kind of return is possibly well within our remit actually. Over what period of time are you looking to invest? When can you make your first payment to me? I recommend what we investors call "averaging in". Don't put it all in at once. Slide it in slowly, carefully measuring the response, until you've got it all in. You're then well on your way to your dream of that golden tan on that super yacht!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X