• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More guff from the anti-smoking Nazis"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Sorry that sucks.

All very well talking about "enjoy yourself", but I can't believe any 40 year olds having heart attacks or strokes are glad about it. My brother (who was a heavy smoker) had a lung cancer scare at 40 that fortunately turned out to be only an absess, but he's gone cold turkey on the cigarettes since. But then our mother died at 67 only 2 years ago despite being pretty healthy and taking care of herself; just happened to get a terminal illness. It does make you think about putting money away for pensions or whatever.

My Dad gave up smoking in his 50s after seeing a documentary on TV about a bloke who lost his legs due to smoking. Somewhat irrational perhaps, but he said the thought of losing his legs scared him far more than death and so he stopped there and then.
    A school friend of mines dad who was in his 40s when I was school had bad legs due to smoking. About 10 years later he was in a wheelchair due to losing them.

The saddest thing for me was seeing as a teenager him limping down the street with his youngest son who was 7.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
    Yeah his treatment was good, it wasn't the cancer that killed him in the end but it was infection he caught after while having chemo he was so close to making as well. The infection came on suddenly, literally within an hr of being ok he collapsed, and a few hours later had gone, it was his final round of chemo as well he had already had 3 sessions. I always remember the day as I had missed call from him a few minutes before he collapsed, I rang back but he never answered
    Sorry that sucks.

All very well talking about "enjoy yourself", but I can't believe any 40 year olds having heart attacks or strokes are glad about it. My brother (who was a heavy smoker) had a lung cancer scare at 40 that fortunately turned out to be only an absess, but he's gone cold turkey on the cigarettes since. But then our mother died at 67 only 2 years ago despite being pretty healthy and taking care of herself; just happened to get a terminal illness. It does make you think about putting money away for pensions or whatever.

My Dad gave up smoking in his 50s after seeing a documentary on TV about a bloke who lost his legs due to smoking. Somewhat irrational perhaps, but he said the thought of losing his legs scared him far more than death and so he stopped there and then.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Psst, Mordac, tell her you're giving up, so she donates, but then don't. That'll be the best of two worlds!
    Oh come on Owlhoot. I want Mordac to be with us for as long as possible and you are NOT HELPING!!

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Yeah his treatment was good, it wasn't the cancer that killed him in the end but it was infection he caught after while having chemo he was so close to making as well. The infection came on suddenly, literally within an hr of being ok he collapsed, and a few hours later had gone, it was his final round of chemo as well he had already had 3 sessions. I always remember the day as I had missed call from him a few minutes before he collapsed, I rang back but he never answered

Feeling it. I lost my dad to cancer last year. Still feels strange.

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    From what I've read, huge strides have been made in the field of immunotherapy particularly with respect to lung cancer.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Tell you what, Mordac. You give up the cancer sticks, we'll donate to the charity of your choice. ...
    Psst, Mordac, tell her you're giving up, so she donates, but then don't. That'll be the best of two worlds!

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    Cut down on alcohol or quit entirely, up your fruit and veg consumption to 5-10 portions a day (yes really you should do 10), and do lots of exercise.
    All these should help.
    The drinking bit is easy for some reason I've never liked a drink might have odd beer every few months and exercise, my fear is though I spent circa 25 years smoking roll up fags with no filter, will get myself regularly checked but who knows, what also found out after my dad passed away was his farther also died of lung cancer, no fecker told me I was a very young when he died. Ahh well cant stress too much over it live for the day and all that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Quite. We could all live to 95, but chances are most of us would be oblivious as to who and where we were.
    Perfect for post Brexit UK.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Tell you what, Mordac. You give up the cancer sticks, we'll donate to the charity of your choice.
    Come on everyone, let's help Mordac. You know it makes sense. I'm pledging £50 right here, right now.

As for the question of a good life expectancy, it depends.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Old enough to be a burden to my children. Currently I am just an embarrassment.
    Quite. We could all live to 95, but chances are most of us would be oblivious as to who and where we were. I don't have children, and I don't fancy the idea of being a burden to someone else's children. Fags it is then...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    My old man was diagnosed with smoking related lung cancer last year, he had 2/3rds of a lung removed, then 4 rounds of chemo, on the last round when his immune system was low he got an infection which turned into sepsis and this killed him. He gave up smoking at 40 and he was 76 when he died, I smoked a lot up until 2-3yrs ago, crapping it in now.
    From what I've read, huge strides have been made in the field of immunotherapy particularly with respect to lung cancer.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    When I was younger, much younger than today, I had quite bad asthma which put me in the plastic tent a couple times in hospital and it lasted well into my teens. I started smoking then, stupidly, but my asthma went away, which was strange. Now I just cough up hulking great yellow and green gilberts and hawk them wherever I feel like it

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Sorry to hear that.
    Cut down on alcohol or quit entirely, up your fruit and veg consumption to 5-10 portions a day (yes really you should do 10), and do lots of exercise.
    All these should help.
    And if you don't actually live longer, it will certainly feel like it!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Sorry to hear that.
    All these should help.
    And then he will be flattened by a bus tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    My old man was diagnosed with smoking related lung cancer last year, he had 2/3rds of a lung removed, then 4 rounds of chemo, on the last round when his immune system was low he got an infection which turned into sepsis and this killed him. He gave up smoking at 40 and he was 76 when he died, I smoked a lot up until 2-3yrs ago, crapping it in now.
    Sorry to hear that.
    All these should help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X