• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Queen calls emergency meeting"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Which is the point. Her Maj does a good job; it's fair to say. The next in line might not. He might have political ideas of his own and feel the need to speak out and interfere. He could in theory refuse to approve the people's choice for government and there's nothing anyone can do about it short of another civil war (to finish off the job started at the last one), or adopt the French or Russian approach of having them all killed.
    Or we could do what we did when William and Mary came to power e.g. sneakily choose the heir(s).

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Which is the point. Her Maj does a good job; it's fair to say. The next in line might not. He might have political ideas of his own and feel the need to speak out and interfere. He could in theory refuse to approve the people's choice for government and there's nothing anyone can do about it short of another civil war (to finish off the job started at the last one), or adopt the French or Russian approach of having them all killed.
    I very much doubt we'd have to resort to Roundheads and Cavaliers. Strong armed into abdicating would be the order of the day.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Not fussed so long as they do a good job.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It is the difference between hereditary privilege and democracy.
    Not fussed so long as they do a good job.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    And so does the UK with a monarchy. I'm not sure what difference there is. Ain't broke, don't fix.
    It is the difference between hereditary privilege and democracy.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You can have a largely ceremonial elected Head of State. Ireland does it pretty well.
    And so does the UK with a monarchy. I'm not sure what difference there is. Ain't broke, don't fix.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Obviously he was implying that it isn't a new idea. But it would be new for the UK, unless you count the Commonwealth period. Perhaps Vetran would prefer an all-powerful "Lord Protector", like Oliver Cromwell?

Even an elected head of state would throw our constitution completely out of kilter, as they would have no less democratic legitimacy than MPs including the Prime Minister and other ministers.
    You can have a largely ceremonial elected Head of State. Ireland does it pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Obviously he was implying that it isn't a new idea. But it would be new for the UK, unless you count the Commonwealth period. Perhaps Vetran would prefer an all-powerful "Lord Protector", like Oliver Cromwell?

Even an elected head of state would throw our constitution completely out of kilter, as they would have no less democratic legitimacy than MPs including the Prime Minister and other ministers.
    Cromwell tried to make it hereditary. ...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I think Plato may have beaten you by over 1600 years.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Yes the "Republic" is a new idea I've just thought of.
    I think Plato may have beaten you by over 1600 years.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    You novelty hounds find it impossible to grasp, or you forget, that new does not always mean better.
    Yes the "Republic" is a new idea I've just thought of.

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Not necessarily. Theresa May is in charge of the government, just like Angel Merkel is in Germany. We have a head of state based on a medieval right of succession; their president is chosen by a vote of the politicians (I forget exactly how). In both cases it's based on the idea that they do not get involved, so what does it matter? If you vote for someone then that gives them an implied mandate, and means they end up having political allegiances, and that's not what a head of state should be doing.

OTOH we could simply do what works in the US and France and make The President the real head of the government.
    Christ man, think what you're saying.

FWIW, we never set out to be liked by everybody, just to do a good job.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    BTW - the alternative is finding someone to vote for every 5 years. How well do you think that would work?
    Not necessarily. Theresa May is in charge of the government, just like Angel Merkel is in Germany. We have a head of state based on a medieval right of succession; their president is chosen by a vote of the politicians (I forget exactly how). In both cases it's based on the idea that they do not get involved, so what does it matter? If you vote for someone then that gives them an implied mandate, and means they end up having political allegiances, and that's not what a head of state should be doing.

OTOH we could simply do what works in the US and France and make The President the real head of the government.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Personally I'd like to see Elizabeth II to be the last monarch and we should use the opportunity to drag the country into the modern world. Though after Brexit I'm not optimistic.
    You novelty hounds find it impossible to grasp, or you forget, that new does not always mean better.

(More often than not these days, besides technical and scientific advances, it's the opposite! )

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Certainly the queen's husband doesn't become king, but I thought the king's wife doesn't always become queen. Diana would've IIRC and Camilla/Kate won't but I'm not sure the details.
    I think you are right. But I don't know if Prince Charles can decide to make Camilla a Queen consort.

"In the United Kingdom, there is no automatic right of the consort of a queen to receive any title, as with any husband of a suo jure peeress. Queen Elizabeth II (acceded 1952) did not create her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh a Prince of the United Kingdom until 1957, five years after her accession. He has never been formally designated Prince Consort or King Consort".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X