• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Update on the Weber"

Collapse

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    There's an interesting (and in parts amusing) discussion on that here

The cottage I lived in when I was in my teens had a mansard roof & my bedroom was an attic room in that roof.

Used to get exactly what they're talking about in your link.

At least with my current situation the flies are outside but they swarm around like in a West African fish market.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    NLyUK had a similar experience quite recently. Bloody dangerous things, those post-coitals...
    Not much chance of that with NLyUK, not with her bladder seepage issues.

More chance of trench foot than spontaneous combustion.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    That's nice...

I've got a kettle myself with the rotisserie attachment. Did 2 very large free range birds on it last weekend in fact.

I've just moved to a thatched property though so may be reassessing my bbq operations.

Bit worried about sparks drifting up and setting my thatch alight.

Is that possible when using briquettes? I'd have thought it unlikely.
    Don't really want to go gas.
    NLyUK had a similar experience quite recently. Bloody dangerous things, those post-coitals...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Incidentally, and I have to be careful how I word this but do you get problems with flies in your thatch?

When the sun's out it's like the Amityville Horror at the front of my house. They're normally gone by lunchtime though.

Hoping it's a seasonal thing and/or I can treat the thatch with something to get rid of them.
    There's an interesting (and in parts amusing) discussion on that here

They could be breeding "up there" somewhere. We had two seasons of the damn things back in the 80s and had to get the local pest-control guy in to fumigate the loft space.

Used to get them in the old workshop. Every morning was a nightmare. Open the velux and the things swarmed out like something out of the 'Green Mile'. Bought fumigation candles and left the place overnight, returning next day to a carpet of the things EVERYWHERE. Went on like that for about three weeks, then one morning - nothing. It was like that scene in the film 'The Battle of Britain' when the Luftwaffe stop coming over and everybody' s tensed-up, waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Incidentally, and I have to be careful how I word this but do you get problems with flies in your thatch?

When the sun's out it's like the Amityville Horror at the front of my house. They're normally gone by lunchtime though.

Hoping it's a seasonal thing and/or I can treat the thatch with something to get rid of them.
    Can't say I have ever had that problem.

Might depend what kind of reed you have?

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You don't need to worry too much other than in the midst of a prolonged dry spell. In general, the outer thatch of a property remains a little damp most of the time (particularly during a "traditional" british summer).
    Most thatch fires occur when the internal dry stuff catches light, usually via the chimney space.
    That is not to say that you should be cavalier about raging blazes on the patio adjacent to the thatch, but it is not generally as combustible externally as some might think.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I cut mine with the tractor yesterday for the second time this year, it's like sitting on a jack hammer for an hour !

Milan.
    Put one of these on mine a few years ago. Makes doing the lawn a breeze now.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Too busy cutting the lawns I'm afraid. Gave the butler the day off.

I cut mine with the tractor yesterday for the second time this year, it's like sitting on a jack hammer for an hour !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    oh dear

go home and have a lie down

Milan.
    Too busy cutting the lawns I'm afraid. Gave the butler the day off.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    It always surprises me the range and depth of the knowledge we have on this forum. Most of it's crap but still.

Just to test the theory out. If you are drunk in the back seat of a car you can get done for drinking and driving. ..
    Not if you can throw the car keys into a hedge quick enough, and the cops can't find it.

OH in "the fount of all knowledge" mode

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Both!!

oh dear

go home and have a lie down

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Shaun fer feck's sake is the best you can do, not even a funny smiley.

Old age or just tired ?

Milan.
    Both!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    milan,
    do you by any chance call your weber "Wolfgang"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Weber

Shaun fer feck's sake is the best you can do, not even a funny smiley.

Old age or just tired ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    milan,
    do you by any chance call your weber "Wolfgang"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Weber

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    no because the main motivation is safety, I have the kettle on the three legs which has never been a very stable or sturdy tool and when you stick the rotisserie on top with 5 or 6 kilos of meat on it, the whole thing is top heavy and an accident waiting to happen

people ask me about webers and I tell them to buy the performer, that's the one with a built in table and if I did it again I'd buy that one, but since it makes no economic sense to have two the next best option is the same as the rednecks in the US have done and build a grill table with the kettle built in...

https://www.google.com/search?q=webe...memade&spf=191

and it's a fun project and you can customize it and put funny things on there like bottle openers and such stuff

and it becomes more individual

Milan.
    Fair enough, I have the Weber with the 3 legs and yep it never seems that sturdy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X