• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fixed Parliaments

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fixed Parliaments"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Politicians are scum. Read about the history of the British politics in the 20th century. Given half a chance, LibDems would behave in exactly the same way as Tories or Labour.
    The Liberal party use to be the government or official opposition until all men and some women got the vote in the 1920s.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oh I've got the idea: Tories are Scum.
    Politicians are scum. Read about the history of the British politics in the 20th century. Given half a chance, LibDems would behave in exactly the same way as Tories or Labour.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well basically you could have that by removing the House of Commons and replacing it with the House of Lords
    You think the HoL looks like a random sample of the British population?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What about parliament by lottery where MPs, ministers and the PM are selected at random from among British citizens? Sure a senile old lady or an alcoholic would be at least as good as the crap we get.
    Well basically you could have that by removing the House of Commons and replacing it with the House of Lords

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What about parliament by lottery where MPs, ministers and the PM are selected at random from among British citizens? Sure a senile old lady or an alcoholic would be at least as good as the crap we get.
    Careful Xog, AtW is a British citizen...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    To be replaced with ... what?
    A benign super AI, designed by our friendly American cousins, built by the Chinese and programmed by those clever Ruskies.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    There is a difference between wanting power for your own ends and gaining power to change things for the greater good.
    Pah... don't talk to me about power.

I've two young daughters. I'm the daddy in this house. As it happens I'm also the subordinate. Papa!! I want this! NOW!!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It was meant to be a constitutional change to be in place going forward. Just shows how scummy Tories are.
    You're barking up the wrong tree with this one, AtW. The Tories may be scumbags, but the FTPA had nothing to do with the constitution. It was a transparent sop to the markets, and I expect they'll now have a manifesto commitment to eliminate it (along with contracting ).

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Think more along the lines of "ALL politicians are scheming gits" and you'll be about there.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It so wasn't. You have a lot to learn about British politics. You need to watch lots of Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, House of Cards (the original British version) and The Thick Of It, and you'll start to get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    It was meant to be a constitutional change to be in place going forward. Just shows how scummy Tories are.
    It so wasn't. You have a lot to learn about British politics. You need to watch lots of Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, House of Cards (the original British version) and The Thick Of It, and you'll start to get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The fixed term parliament thing was a bone for the Libdems

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The electorate binned that idea, thankfully.
    Time to bin Tories me thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The intention of Fixed Parliaments was to prevent exactly such convenient "snap" elections when the ruling party doing well in polls, totally wrong on that principle for Labour/LibDems to vote for it tomorrow.
    The fixed term parliament thing was a bone for the Libdems, to convince them that the Tories were not going to cast them aside at the first opportunity. They were also given the concession of a vote on changing the voting system. The electorate binned that idea, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X