• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: At last

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "At last"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Every contractor has private insurance anyway. NHS
    Right up until the point they more than double the premium when you declare a new "condition" (in my case not one which would ever require any form of surgery, only prescriptions which I get from my NHS GP anyway). And it's a skin complaint, rather than a cerebral one, in case any of you comedians were planning to speculate.
    I was expecting it to go through the roof anyway in a couple of years when the magic half-century comes up.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not such a twonk that I let my agent walk all over me by being a gullible fool, eh?
    When did that happen?
    Admittedly it did about 20-something years ago when I encountered MSB for the first (and definitely last) time, but I put that down to lack of forums/fora(?) such as this for warnings to be shared. Don't see much from them these days, are they still going?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Probably not, but we're not exactly weighed down with a surplus of Maths gurus, are we? Just enough education so as not to fail the Ofsted inspection, and that'll do, seems to be the mantra du jour.
    They're punitively obstructed by the league tables with headteachers insisting that unfortunately they have to teach kids how to pass GCSEs rather than actually learn maths.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    You really think that's how a Head of Maths operates? Wow.
    Probably not, but we're not exactly weighed down with a surplus of Maths gurus, are we? Just enough education so as not to fail the Ofsted inspection, and that'll do, seems to be the mantra du jour.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Shame Suity is out of the contracting game, difficult to replace those with such expertise

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The NHS is fecked through a series of terrible decision, first and foremost by the Blair/Brown axis of incompetence and their FPI tomfoolery then the GP legislation. Throw in too many managers and targets over treatment and you're at a position where people are now looking for scapegoats rather than solutions.
    Shame Suity is out of the contracting game, difficult to replace those with such expertise

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    The NHS is fecked through a series of terrible decision, first and foremost by the Blair/Brown axis of incompetence and their FPI tomfoolery then the GP legislation. Throw in too many managers and targets over treatment and you're at a position where people are now looking for scapegoats rather than solutions.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    So we have reasoned that the NHS is fecked and it is the fault of brexit?

Honestly?
    You appear to have reasoned this, but that may just be the drink talking.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Have you seen teenagers today?
    Zeity haasn't eaten anyone for ages.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yes but any one of those lives might develop the cure for cancer or cure cretinism in AssSnobs.

Both have benefits. However its unlikely the Maths Teacher will ever kill anyone during a lecture.
    Have you seen teenagers today?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It's all about your utility to society.
    The maths teacher, if he's any good, will teach hundreds of kids, a few of which will go on to become filthy rich, like us IT contractors.
    Thus benefiting society more.
    The GP might save a handful of lives, but most of it is prescribing creams and pills.
    yes but any one of those lives might develop the cure for cancer or cure cretinism in AssSnobs.

Both have benefits. However its unlikely the Maths Teacher will ever kill anyone during a lecture.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    God, what the hell is happening to me?

That's twice today I've almost agreed with Sas about something!

For the first time in over forty years, I'd better make an appointment with my GP
    At least we know either:-

a) the Prozac is working.
    b) The Mrs. put some MDMA in your tea

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It's all about your utility to society.
    The maths teacher, if he's any good, will teach hundreds of kids, a few of which will go on to become filthy rich, like us IT contractors.
    Thus benefiting society more.
    The GP might save a handful of lives, but most of it is prescribing creams and pills.
    God, what the hell is happening to me?

That's twice today I've almost agreed with Sas about something!

For the first time in over forty years, I'd better make an appointment with my GP

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Absolute bulltulip.

My wife saved a life last week, a regular occurrence for a trained GP.
    Was it a scrote though? Did he/she have any utility?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Head of Maths and a GP are totally different but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be paid similar amounts.

I'd rather be a GP than a Head of Maths though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X