• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Schottland plant neues Unabhängigkeitsreferendum"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Scotland doesn't want to leave Europe why? For all the amazing trade they do with the EU?

And yet I read recently that Scotland's exports to the remainder of the UK are 63% of its total exports..
    Yes but loads% of that 63% is exported to the EU at the end of the day. That'll likely increase when England leaves the EU with Scotland exporting directly. Them companies in England will just move north.

Services are easily mobile. You can't believe the landscape will not change when the world around them does. That's just too naive.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    It's not soley about economics, it's also about the sort of country you want to live in.

One bloke I saw on telly earlier made the point that one thing in favour of independence is it's the only way Scotland won't be stuck with a Conservative government for the next 10 years. Which is a fair point, especially as the new Conservative government has lurched further to the right and there's nobody to oppose them.
    They have an SNP government up there, if they actually held their MSP's to account they could be independant but with Subsidies.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Just imagine the bitterness of Scotland's Indyref mixed with the tinderbox that NI is. You'll see a return to violence if this is the case.
    ... served on a bed of Bretinsim.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Scotland doesn't want to leave Europe why? For all the amazing trade they do with the EU?
    It's not soley about economics, it's also about the sort of country you want to live in.

One bloke I saw on telly earlier made the point that one thing in favour of independence is it's the only way Scotland won't be stuck with a Conservative government for the next 10 years. Which is a fair point, especially as the new Conservative government has lurched further to the right and there's nobody to oppose them.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

And yet I read recently that Scotland's exports to the remainder of the UK are 63% of its total exports.

By the argument that says don't leave your biggest trading partner, they should remain in the UK.

For remainers who say that leaving your biggest trading partner is madness, they should stay.

She has to ask for a referendum to maintain her political career, otherwise what['s the point of her?

EDIT I'm not against a 2nd referendum, but it's a waste of time and money and will cause even more hatred between a minority of Scots and the English.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Hadrian managed it nearly 2,000 years ago. HTHBIDI
    Antonine chose a better route for his wall further north, roughly between Glasgow and Edinburgh I think.

Come to think of it, south of that line the inhabitants are what highland Scots disparagingly call Sassenachs aren't they? That means Saxons, i.e. like most of us in England.

So if the Scots did vote for independence then it stands to reason that England should be extended north to a line between, say, Glasgow and Stirling, and then the Scots have the highlands. Fair's fair!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    So it is the Fourth Reich after all.

The Poles seem to want to disagree.

All's well in eu land.
    Why are you so obsessed with whats happening in Euroland.
    We're leaving this week remember.
    Or do you just lurve them all so much?
    GB9 and EU27 sittin in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    According to the Brexit camp Germany = EU. What Germany wants Germany gets. So suck it up.
    So it is the Fourth Reich after all.

The Poles seem to want to disagree.

All's well in eu land.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The Germans can say what they like but they alone don't run Europe (although they want to).
    According to the Brexit camp Germany = EU. What Germany wants Germany gets. So suck it up.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Looks like there's going to be one in Ireland...
    Just imagine the bitterness of Scotland's Indyref mixed with the tinderbox that NI is. You'll see a return to violence if this is the case.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Looks like there's going to be one in Ireland, and at a guess the Scotland/England border must be a similar length.

Anyway, I'm sure Brexit voters carefully considered this and other issues when they cast their votes.
    Hadrian managed it nearly 2,000 years ago. HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

You should know by now if the EU wants something the EU gets.
    The EU wanted the UK to vote Remain.

Nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Well she has to ask because the SNP cannot trigger a referendum on their own.

So May can either point to some made-up poll ( or even a factual one ) and say "No, the Scottish People have no desire for a referendum".

Or say "Yes. But you aren't having it until the BREXIT negotiations are finished. Otherwise the Scottish people won't know what they are voting on".

I couldn't see the advantages of separation for Scotland the first time round and with the UK ( including Scotland ) outside of the EU and oil down to $50bbl I still cannot.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The hard border with England would be problematic.
    Looks like there's going to be one in Ireland, and at a guess the Scotland/England border must be a similar length.

Anyway, I'm sure Brexit voters carefully considered this and other issues when they cast their votes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    More taking down. A position you'll miss when Scotland leave.

Scotland will either retain the UK's membership, as has been mentioned by many MEP's or retain a new membership.

You should know by now if the EU wants something the EU gets. The EU would welcome Scotland just to Pi$$ off the rUK.
    The hard border with England would be problematic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X