• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lets petition Tony Bliar"

Collapse

• azezal
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    but whats shall we petition for Petition PM
    Why bother partitioning anything, let alone not a root/ partition.?

Instead of asking the government to do something that is good for yourself, do something that will make the goverment do something that is good for itself and yourself in turn.

Democracy is the freedom to type whatever you want to type and to press what ever button you want to press.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Love this petition:

Resign immediately.

The Prime Minister is no longer trusted and no longer has the support of the majority of the British electorate.

Top votes so far....

Leave a comment:

• Nipple Clamp
    replied
    I just emailed the following message to TB:

To implement 90 day detention orders in a manner that avoids civil liberties concerns, and thus resistance from all quarters, may I suggest you consider bringing back grand juries?

As you doubtless know, these are still used in the US but were abolished in the UK by (I think) Edward Heath's Tory government.

Basing a detention order on a bill of indictment would be far less contentious than locking people up for extended periods by ministerial decree, and if necessary the detention could be much longer than 90 days.

In terrorist cases one might need security cleared juries, perhaps with jurors having professional standards of probity, such as solicitors or barristers, which could get a bit expensive. (But then how many terrorist suspects are likely to need placing in long term detention?)

Also, my impression is that the Government is making strenuous efforts to reduce the UK legal system where possible into conformity with the Code Napoleon or whatever the French system is called, as one aspect of EU "cooperation", and if this is so then extending the use of juries would naturally be anathema!

All the same, if the terrorist threat is as real as claimed then I submit that the above is an unassailable and practical way to achieve the goal.

Reintroducing grand juries could also be presented as increasing democracy, and in the process restoring a traditional practice that was abolished by Tories!

Regards

JR

P.S. Apologies for any spelling errors and such like. But the input window for this email is the size of a postage stamp!
    Anything for a giggle.

I'll post if I get any meaningful reply.

Edit: Thought I better just add, in case anyone isn't aware, a grand jury is used for a preliminary hearing, i.e. to determine whether in bringing a criminal charge the state/crown has a case. If so the jury returns a "true bill" and the full case can then be heard by a "petty jury". Currently in the UK the CPS acts the part of a grand jury, i.e. the state has usurped a role formerly carried out by the people.
    Last edited by Nipple Clamp; 16 November 2006, 00:14.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    just getting last post on alll threads

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    i can knock off an apology i don't really mean in 90 years if that's what it takes

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    How about we petition to have him commissioned in the armed forces. That way we can stick him in the front line in Iraq. He'll be forced to serve (or spend a nice chunk of his life in prison for failing to report for duty) and then we can shoot him in the back and say he was a filthy deserter!!!
    and then in 90 years time we'll have to appolgise so that makes it OK then.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    How about we petition to have him commissioned in the armed forces. That way we can stick him in the front line in Iraq. He'll be forced to serve (or spend a nice chunk of his life in prison for failing to report for duty) and then we can shoot him in the back and say he was a filthy deserter!!!

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Clown Beater
    I think we should petition for his ritual execution.
    One of the first things he did when he became PM was to remove the last death penalty - for treason. Then he spent the rest of his life committing that very same offence.

Leave a comment:

• Logie
    replied
    As long as I get to shag that Chaplin woman then.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I'd rather do a wierd dance and cover him with the blood of cherie, two birds with one stone and all that!!!

Leave a comment:

• Logie
    replied
    Cool, does that mean we can do weird dances and cover him with the blood of a Hen ?

Originally posted by The Clown Beater

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Logie
    replied
    I think we should petition Blair for Prime Minister

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    started a topic Lets petition Tony Bliar

Lets petition Tony Bliar

but whats shall we petition for Petition PM

Working...
X