• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "6 months contract/save £, 6 months holidays/travelling, repeat - do you do it?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    I don't do it - I wish I could

Leave a comment:

• smit0847
    replied
    Originally posted by fonejacker View Post
    it's good in theory but think of the logistics...are you renting or owning? long term travel is dead rent money, owning might be easier as at least paying off a mortgage, if you move out of flat for travel then need to put things into storage then manage mail etc. I take the hit on rent when long term travelling but its far from ideal.

Also you need to think about mail that needs completing for a limited company, for instance, after years of business banking without nothing suddenly yesterday my business bank just sent a 10 page document to complete, sign and return in self address envelope, don't know how I would manage that if I was travelling for 6 months, i'd recommend to change your Ltd company address to be your accountant / virtual mail box so there are no ties to your place.
    Renting. Agree rent money is dead money while travelling. May sub-let, may charge friends visiting London to stay during summer while we are away.

Wouldn't ever be away for a full 6 months - always need a bit of a reset while travelling to do things like sort out mail, get things fixed, medical appointments, properly wash/mend clothes etc. Would probably do a month away at a time, come back for a few days, repeat.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I bought my first house with a mate and we had lodgers, so had the best of both worlds. Later I swapped that owning my own house but renting to students but with a locked door for my stuff. Worked well.

Guess that also stopped them from the disturbing sight of your naked sleep walking whilst constantly snacking.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by fonejacker View Post
    it's good in theory but think of the logistics...are you renting or owning? long term travel is dead rent money, owning might be easier as at least paying off a mortgage, if you move out of flat for travel then need to put things into storage then manage mail etc. I take the hit on rent when long term travelling but its far from ideal.

Also you need to think about mail that needs completing for a limited company, for instance, after years of business banking without nothing suddenly yesterday my business bank just sent a 10 page document to complete, sign and return in self address envelope, don't know how I would manage that if I was travelling for 6 months, i'd recommend to change your Ltd company address to be your accountant / virtual mail box so there are no ties to your place.
    I bought my first house with a mate and we had lodgers, so had the best of both worlds. Later I swapped that owning my own house but renting to students but with a locked door for my stuff. Worked well.

Leave a comment:

• fonejacker
    replied

Last edited by fonejacker; 3 March 2017, 11:04.

Leave a comment:

• smit0847
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    No one else seems to have asked, but does your other half have the desire and flexibility to do the same? Since she's important enough to you to be considered marriage material, this would seem to be a large part of the equation.
    They are even more keen to travel than I am. They work a minimum wage job that they hate and would much rather be travelling.

Leave a comment:

• smit0847
    replied
    I say fill yeh boots until some broad gets her nails into you, then you're fecked like the rest of us. (Except the gay ones, you know who you are)
    That would be me ; )

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I don't think so. I did the same when I was younger and covered some of the gaps. It had no impact whatsoever. Clients want experienced contractors and if you're good in interview, covering your CV will get you past the agent, your style will get you in the door.

I say fill yeh boots until some broad gets her nails into you, then you're fecked like the rest of us. (Except the gay ones, you know who you are)
    Correct, my CV has around 3 years worth of gaps due to travelling, hopefully there will be more of the same before I'm done.

As far as advice for covering gaps "inventively" on your CV I will keep those secrets to myself

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Clients want experienced professionals to deliver to their needs. They get a sniff this is what you are doing they will just move on to the next guy. The market is pretty flat for the experienced guys as well at the moment. You might look good now but further down the line as the gaps start appearing its going to get much harder.
    I don't think so. I did the same when I was younger and covered some of the gaps. It had no impact whatsoever. Clients want experienced contractors and if you're good in interview, covering your CV will get you past the agent, your style will get you in the door.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by smit0847 View Post
    Moved over here with a dual citizen (AU/UK). Could potentially get married if desperate to stay. Cannot see myself here (very) long-term regardless of what happens though. Lifestyle in Australia is pretty sweet (only moved because I was bored).
    No one else seems to have asked, but does your other half have the desire and flexibility to do the same? Since she's important enough to you to be considered marriage material, this would seem to be a large part of the equation.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Ignore the time of year, it's warm and cheap somewhere in the world, travel costs become less significant on longer breaks.

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    If you have the money and don't have commitments (they will come along in due course!) then go ahead and do it. Before you know it there will be a mortgage, kids, childcare etc to pay for so see the world while you can before it is no longer an option until you're retired. As long as you don't go away too long (2-3 months was always fine for me) and are good at what you do / have a solid network you can pick up work when you need it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doconline View Post
    If you are happy to make the travelling visits shorter there are ways to make it look better on your CV. For dates for roles use month and year and take a contract that ends at the start of the month, giving you the rest of the month 'free' travel time, travel for the next month and come back to the UK at the start of the next month. Your CV will only look like you've been away for just over a month, will only come out if doing an in depth reference check, by which time you've got the gig anyway.
    If they do an in depth reference check you aren't lying. I don't have room to put day month and year on my CV.

Leave a comment:

• doconline
    replied
    If you are happy to make the travelling visits shorter there are ways to make it look better on your CV. For dates for roles use month and year and take a contract that ends at the start of the month, giving you the rest of the month 'free' travel time, travel for the next month and come back to the UK at the start of the next month. Your CV will only look like you've been away for just over a month, will only come out if doing an in depth reference check, by which time you've got the gig anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by smit0847 View Post
    How so? I've moved to the UK for a limited time on a (somewhat) limited visa. I'm here for a good time not a long time and like every Australian who moves to the UK, want to travel. I've got a great career to go back to in Australia so Im not looking to grow my career here other than gain experience at some places I never could in Australia, which is exactly what I'm already doing. I don't want a permanent role to work hard and progress over years here because I know I wont be here forever.

Yes the ideal timeframes probably wont work out but otherwise isn't contracting pretty ideal for my situation?
    Clients want experienced professionals to deliver to their needs. They get a sniff this is what you are doing they will just move on to the next guy. The market is pretty flat for the experienced guys as well at the moment. You might look good now but further down the line as the gaps start appearing its going to get much harder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X