• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Brits hurrying to become German citizens"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm doing what I can to guarantee working in any EU country of my choosing continues without getting sidestepped by the competition who automatically has the right.
    Scotland will be independent soon and will then slot seamlessly into the Eurozone, the EC will announce that Scottish is a new working language (I mean the indecipherable accent, not Scots obviously), and Junker will be smacking everyone upside the head with deep-fried Mars Bars, because he's funny like that.

The end.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    2 observations - if they want you they'll do what's necessary to have you. Working in Europe is overrated.

If you want (or need) the inside edge then work in the UK.
    But you're working in Europe as we speak, why haven't you moved to somewhere that isn't overrated? Sadly, I think that after Brexit, that the UK won't be the inside edge although I suspect you mean at the forefront of cutting technology which is what I'm currently doing here in Germany and the USA...

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    2 observations - if they want you they'll do what's necessary to have you. Working in Europe is overrated.

If you want (or need) the inside edge then work in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm doing what I can to guarantee working in any EU country of my choosing continues without getting sidestepped by the competition who automatically has the right.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    If you're smart you've already got a plan underway
    so lets get this straight, no one knows whats going to happen but you still think it's smarter to bet your entire career on your own assumptions?

assume = ass out of you and me

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Rush me to the emergency room. My sides need stitching.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I know of no one amongst my fraternity out here that is waiting for negotiations to begin before acting. If you're smart you've already got a plan underway before allowing those idiots in London to screw up many lives.
    Yes, but what about you

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Don't think negotiations have started yet have they?
    I know of no one amongst my fraternity out here that is waiting for negotiations to begin before acting. If you're smart you've already got a plan underway before allowing those idiots in London to screw up many lives.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    You might be happy to throw caution to the wind but many Brits living in Germany are more educated than that.
    Don't think negotiations have started yet have they?

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Don't forget the bit of Greek in him.
    Nobody will forget that night.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    A very relevant topic for me and my family. The whole reason I'm working part time at the minute is to focus on my Deutsch lessons. Having to apply for a visa every time I apply for work in a EU country will kill my career. I prefer not to have the doubt. Good to read what other Brits are doing.
    There is this thing called the EU Blue Card (that the UK has opted out of) that enables non-EU citizens to work anywhere in the EU (except for in those countries that have opted out, e.g. the UK - for now) as employees, provided that they have a guaranteed income in excess of 1.5x the average national income of the employer.

A good number of Australians, New Zealanders and Americans have set up companies in the EU and put themselves on payroll in them in order to qualify for the card and contract anywhere within the EU. For whatever reason, people from a number of other (non-EU) countries don't, probably because their main target is the UK.
    Last edited by m0n1k3r; 27 February 2017, 22:40.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    My friends live in Munich and never tire of tempting me to go there and oh so tempting it is but not yet.

Much as I've been to Germany many times for work always around the Ruhr which I believe is different from Bavaria although I enjoyed all the places there especially Köln and its Kölsch.

Johnny is arranging a band reunion in Munich for later this year so I'll get to see more of Germany.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    If I decided to go back to work and live in Europe Germany would be my first choice. I have Scottish friends living there and get the occasional work offer but not tempted yet. No matter, when I retire I'll be moving from the UK permanently anyway.
    Munich Scottish Association e.V.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Can you put that in larger font and smaller words for assgurner please? He struggles with this sort of thing.
    Unfortunately no amount of BS will make up for the fact that you're not the sharpest tool in the box. But deep down you know that don't you?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    And?

If they're all based in the UK it's because employment law is more favourable for them here than elsewhere in the EU, despite the EU's best efforts to "harmonise" it.

So post Brexit there will be even more incentive for them to stay in the UK (assuming Labour don't get in and feck up everything by destroying with misguided legislation what little competitive advantage we have).
    Depends if post Brexit there are tariffs or not and whether any perceived UK employment advantages make up for the loss of free access to a much larger market doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X