• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Greatest Record Album"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    My memories of them are that they were liked by the dullest people imaginable where I went to college.
    So, you know Pip rather well then

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

Fookn hate Dire Straits after Making Movies, went up their arses after that....
    My memories of them are that they were liked by the dullest people imaginable where I went to college.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Yes, I have all the DS albums and the Notting Hillbillies stuff but I'd never heard anything by David Knopfler - Mark Knopfler's little brother. I was round at a friend's house and she put on one of her records called Lips Against The Steel and I have to say it was really good. I'm looking forward to collecting the rest of his oeuvre over the coming weeks.
    Didn't MK sack him (and the rest of the band) after their first or second LP? Sure he was the bass player...

Fookn hate Dire Straits after Making Movies, went up their arses after that....

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    I don't know if any of you saw it but there was a very timely BBC4 documentary on Friday night called When the Album Ruled the World and it charted the progression of acts producing an LP full of individual pop songs through to the an LP full of album tracks; a concept album, if you like.

And it was a really inneresting programme. I didn't realise that the first act generally recognised to have produced an album per se was Dylan. I always assumed it was the Beach Boys or the Beatles.

Talking of concept albums, one of my all time favourites has to be Brothers in Arms. But this weekend, I discovered some new Straits related material that I'd never come across before.

Yes, I have all the DS albums and the Notting Hillbillies stuff but I'd never heard anything by David Knopfler - Mark Knopfler's little brother. I was round at a friend's house and she put on one of her records called Lips Against The Steel and I have to say it was really good. I'm looking forward to collecting the rest of his oeuvre over the coming weeks.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...eace-vinyl-3lp

This for me is a great album with fantastic art work. The playing is on point - I've read before that JB ran a tight ship and heavily fined his band when they made mistakes

"ELECTRIFYING LIVE RECORDING OF JAMES BROWN AND THE J.B.'S! Love Power Peace was recorded live at the Olympia in Paris in 1971 and offers a rare glimpse of the Godfather in action at the height of his career along with his youngblood J.B.'s (including Bootsy and Catfish Collins) as back up. The performance was intended to be released as a triple vinyl set and was consequently sequenced and mixed by James Brown himself, only to be shelved once key band members left before it could be issued. Now, many decades later, Polydor has put together the 3LP set as Brown had envisioned, mastered from JB's original 1971 mixdown reels, and complete with deluxe triple gatefold sleeve featuring rare photos and liner notes from tour director Alan Leeds. A must for soul fans and JB aficionados."
    I will check that out, cheers

In the early 90's I James Brown perform off a back of a truck in some field off the M25.
    He was very good even that far down the line.....

Then off to some acid house party, in Brighton, where Primal Scream were in attendance.

Quite a night

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...eace-vinyl-3lp

This for me is a great album with fantastic art work. The playing is on point - I've read before that JB ran a tight ship and heavily fined his band when they made mistakes

"ELECTRIFYING LIVE RECORDING OF JAMES BROWN AND THE J.B.'S! Love Power Peace was recorded live at the Olympia in Paris in 1971 and offers a rare glimpse of the Godfather in action at the height of his career along with his youngblood J.B.'s (including Bootsy and Catfish Collins) as back up. The performance was intended to be released as a triple vinyl set and was consequently sequenced and mixed by James Brown himself, only to be shelved once key band members left before it could be issued. Now, many decades later, Polydor has put together the 3LP set as Brown had envisioned, mastered from JB's original 1971 mixdown reels, and complete with deluxe triple gatefold sleeve featuring rare photos and liner notes from tour director Alan Leeds. A must for soul fans and JB aficionados."

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Warp20 Box Set

First time I have not heard it called an LP12

The Warp20 box set has one record that plays different continual loops.

As for two generations not knowing vinyl. Swing down to Hoxton and say that out loud. They will drown you in craft beer (aka beer).

Ah, that's because it wasn't mine it was a mates brothers. Funny thing was he has a huge punk collection and we used to sneak in and play them on the Linn.

The biggest vinyl collection I have seen numbered 80,000 around 15 years ago, god knows what size it is now.
    It filled a whole shipping container to get it over to NZ where my mate currently lives.

That collection had absolutely everything, sometimes we would literally party for days as my mate played through parts it.

I know, for a fact he would have your Warp collection, we were very closely linked with DiY and other artists that bought stuff out on Warp.
    Amazing DJ too, used to command good money back in the day.

Luckily we were a lot younger and had a lot more energy during those days
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 24 February 2017, 09:37.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    DSOM

Lost the record in a move around 1987. Bought it on CD ten years later - still amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Bought a copy of this from a second hand record shop & found the best part of a 'teenth inside

Believe me, I needed it to listen to that.....

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Who's that?
    Warp20 Box Set

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    And that goes for CDs and a;ll the other crap that has been offered up as formats over the years.

Vinyl was top draw whether you play it on a Technics 1210 or a Linn Sondek
    First time I have not heard it called an LP12

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Talking of which, I once had a vinyl copy of Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief. Depending on where you placed the stylus, it would play different sketches.
    Only on one side of the album as I recall.
    Bit bizarre but true nonetheless, I tulip you not!!
    The Warp20 box set has one record that plays different continual loops.

As for two generations not knowing vinyl. Swing down to Hoxton and say that out loud. They will drown you in craft beer (aka beer).

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Aye, the best I ever bought just wish I had bought two and only opened one. MP3 downloads these days, pfft
    It was years before I realised what the actual cover of WYWH looked like.

I thought it was a new record.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Yup - I got that one too! It was simply two spirals, intertwined!.
    A record with 3 sides. I was quite impressed with that.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Talking of which, I once had a vinyl copy of Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief. Depending on where you placed the stylus, it would play different sketches.
    Yup - I got that one too! It was simply two spirals, intertwined!

I have almost all ABBA and ABBA members Swedish releases including one with a colour poster of Agnetha - Corrr!!

I've got some LP's of recordings of steam engines, how sad is that? 'Big Bertha' - the famed Midland Railway 0-10-0 Lickey Banker, an LMS Garratt, some Coronation Class Pacifics.

No I'm not Gricerboy's sockie....

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    I had that record too!

Multisided record - Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    There's a whole two generations now who've lost the art of dropping the stylus on the lead-in gap between tracks....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X