• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thank goodness UK net exports were up in the final quarter of 2016"

Collapse

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Here is a list of countries by merchandise (i.e. goods) exports.
    For our population size its not terribly inspiring.
    Netherlands and even Italy export more with a much smaller population.
    And about half of our goods exports go to the EU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_exports
    Yes we know over 50% of our exports go to the EU but the UK's trade deficit is at an all time high so all we're doing is pouring money into their economy. It's easy to be swayed by the figure

UK exports to the EU 52%
    EU exports to the UK 7%

This though doesn't show the fact that a fair few of the countries in the EU sell more to us than we do to them.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Here is a list of countries by merchandise (i.e. goods) exports.
    For our population size its not terribly inspiring.
    Netherlands and even Italy export more with a much smaller population.
    And about half of our goods exports go to the EU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_exports

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The problem with that argument is that in Q3 the net figures were absolutely chronic (for some unknown reason), so it was quite a big recovery to get them back to a similar level to Q4 2015.
    Doesn't really matter does it?
    Do any of these figures set Britain on a trajectory of getting a trade surplus or is it just insignificant variation, bumping around at the bottom?
    For something significant you'd have to see a consistent rise month after month, year after year - what we see instead is minor rises and falls.
    So now we're back to December 2015? Whoopety doo dah..
    Last edited by sasguru; 23 February 2017, 09:15.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And I didn't even have to do any overtime: https://www.ft.com/content/f3ef3ef3-...5-d621f9f6114f

It’s official: Germany was the fastest growing major economy last year.

Germany has wrestled the crown off Britain this morning, with new figures confirming that German GDP rose by 1.9% in 2016.

That beats Britain, which only grew by 1.8% over the same period (as we learned yesterday), and means Westminster politicians won’t be able to crow about beating the rest of the G7 last year.

It also means Germany outpaced the US (which expanded by 1.6% last year, according to preliminary data).

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Or could it be that some people know that the fundamentals of the British economy are too weak to take a large shock,

The problem with that argument is that in Q3 the net figures were absolutely chronic (for some unknown reason), so it was quite a big recovery to get them back to a similar level to Q4 2015.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    They obviously hate being here or they hate the UK, but who cares what they think they're always going to be negative because the vote didn't go the way that wanted.

Though they continue to consult their crystal balls on a daily basis
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    I think a few people hate being wrong and are desperately hoping for disaster.
    Or could it be that some people know that the fundamentals of the British economy are too weak to take a large shock, something not considered by the relatively less cognitively gifted who voted for Brexit?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    They obviously hate being here or they hate the UK, but who cares what they think they're always going to be negative because the vote didn't go the way that wanted.

I think a few people hate being wrong and are desperately hoping for disaster.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Agree that gdp growth isn't massively helpful but as some experts like to quote it then worth pointing out the q4 gdp growth was revised up to 0.7%.

As usual, some people complain we don't make enough but then knock it when we make more. Room to improve further though.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Agree that gdp growth isn't massively helpful but as some experts like to quote it then worth pointing out the q4 gdp growth was revised up to 0.7%.

As usual, some people complain we don't make enough but then knock it when we make more. Room to improve further though.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So at least for once we'll be spared a chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth from forlorn Remainers

2016q4 results released this morning by the UK Office for National Statistics showed export growth of 4.1%, which alongside a fall in imports of 0.4% means net trade added 1.3% to growth.

(I think there was also a GDP increase. But I am opposed to this pernicious measure in principle and thus ignore it.)
    Yes, a big swing from Q3 to Q4

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

s the lot of them. I wish they would all FOAD.
    Given the demographics of the Brexit vote if that happened the country would soon descend to the level of Zimbabwe

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So at least for once we'll be spared a chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth from forlorn Remainers

2016q4 results released this morning by the UK Office for National Statistics showed export growth of 4.1%, which alongside a fall in imports of 0.4% means net trade added 1.3% to growth.

(I think there was also a GDP increase. But I am opposed to this pernicious measure in principle and thus ignore it.)
    Good there's an upward trend I suppose.
    Although you clearly haven't consulted your mate who's good at maths or he'd have told you that 4% of not very much is not very much at all

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Don't count on it. Their skin is as thick as their heads!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Since it is good news, the remnants will say we haven't left yet.

If it were bad news, then they would say moronic brexiters made it a happen.

s the lot of them. I wish they would all FOAD.

Leave a comment:

• Thank goodness UK net exports were up in the final quarter of 2016

Working...
X