• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outside a contact, I can never only code."

Collapse

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by europetractor View Post
    There is just so much to learn in between contracts. We as developers are always automating things and in effect we are working to destroy our profession by steadily shifting it to AI. So there is more programmers out of work and there is always more and more frameworks to learn. This results in a constant need to study in between contracts at the expense of your own health. For that reason I have been trying to move away from the profession of IT learning ... with no success.
    Put down that bifter and get with the program duuude. Get into a contracting niche. Keeping up with the latest skills is for youngsters. Milk a niche for a decade and retire early (or do something else). That's the only game in town for a programmer.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    You're best off out of it mate. Couple of puckers and a bit of billy at Sundance doesn't qualify you to advise.

Have you got your Fred Perry on today? Get a grip.
    You're questioning the level of chemical experience MMM has?

That's like questioning the level of alcohol experience Gazza has.

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    There is just so much to learn in between contracts. We as developers are always automating things and in effect we are working to destroy our profession by steadily shifting it to AI. So there is more programmers out of work and there is always more and more frameworks to learn. This results in a constant need to study in between contracts at the expense of your own health. For that reason I have been trying to move away from the profession of IT learning ... with no success.

Leave a comment:

• thelastrosbif
    replied
    Really struggle to look at code if I'm not billing for it..

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    You're best off out of it mate. Couple of puckers and a bit of billy at Sunrise doesn't qualify you to advise.

LMAO.

Some of us did other things prior to contracting.

I worked with a lot of music people all the over the world at the time.

Therefore, I would suggest that having seen most things, I'm better qualified to comment than most, so run along there's a good boy

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Cool story Bro.

So, you smoked weed and had a psychotic episode?

In drug takers circles you would be known as just another "lightweight".

You're best off out of it mate. Couple of puckers and a bit of billy at Sundance doesn't qualify you to advise.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Cool story Bro.

In CUK General you would be known as just another "lightweight".

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Smoking weed is bad for programmers (generally). This is because to be a good programmer you must be a bit obsessive. To work out all the edge cases is not a normal way of thinking. Most people see the happy path only. Programmers focus on the exception case because the happy path is straightforward. Programmers must always focus in the negative in a problem space. The kind of person drawn to this is prone to anxiety, and OCD. And that kind of person should stay away from weed.

Existential thinking has no place in contract programming. The best you can do is turn boring problems into interesting ones by applying clever solutions. Programming is a search for truth, like chess, and it's about reducing the number of moving parts to a minimum- so you can manage risk. This is the opposite to the mind wandering existentialism you are exploring with strong weed and psychedelics.
    Cool story Bro.

In drug takers circles you would be known as just another "lightweight".

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    long live THC
    Smoking weed is bad for programmers (generally). This is because to be a good programmer you must be a bit obsessive. To work out all the edge cases is not a normal way of thinking. Most people see the happy path only. Programmers focus on the exception case because the happy path is straightforward. Programmers must always focus in the negative in a problem space. The kind of person drawn to this is prone to anxiety, and OCD. And that kind of person should stay away from weed.

Existential thinking has no place in contract programming. The best you can do is turn boring problems into interesting ones by applying clever solutions. Programming is a search for truth, like chess, and it's about reducing the number of moving parts to a minimum- so you can manage risk. This is the opposite to the mind wandering existentialism you are exploring with strong weed and psychedelics.
    You will find no answers, only more questions.
    Last edited by Fronttoback; 23 February 2017, 09:27.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm drunk and bored so should I write a stupid long post?
    Not sure it's the drink ... I think it might be the 'psychedelics'

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I thought I was happy .... .. but as I have grown little older...... IT and code is no longer the passion .. it has turned into work that requires our precious energy and time ... and I thought I was better than this...
    Oi feck off and leave my self loathing alone.

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    It's because you hAve no discipline. Hth. MF
    Oh I have some discipline ... short term memory on the other hand ? hmmm

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    long live THC

It's because you hAve no discipline. Hth. MF

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What's the question?
    I thought I was happy .... .. but as I have grown little older...... IT and code is no longer the passion .. it has turned into work that requires our precious energy and time ... and I thought I was better than this...

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    I think you've found your answer!
    long live THC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X