• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Welcome to Sainsburys"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Third world war, shirley...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Its a first world problem. Though after Brexit it will be a second world problem if some are to be believed.
    Third world, shirley...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    So, I've just been to do the weekly shop. An onerous task at the best of times but even more so when I get to the checkout to discover that once again I've neglected to remove my debit card from my camelbak after the morning cycle ride.

So, I inform them that I will park my full to brimming trolley next to the information desk while I hotfoot it back home to retrieve said debit card.

So, what happens? I get back and my trolley had gone. It had been commandeered by some spotty operative who was just in the process of returning the very last item in the trolley to the fruit and veg section.

I was absolutely apoplectic...

How can I be refunded those wasted 45 minutes of my life ?

Welcome to Sainsburys where good food costs less
    Top Tip....next time you go there simply get yourself into the Dementia Aisle. The operatives there will be half-expecting some sort of random forgetfulness event.
    They will even, helpfully, give you a loaf of outdated bread from which you can fashion a trail of breadcrumbs to follow back to the till in case you forget why you have had to rush home.

They got big by caring you know.

Either that or just get someone that is not senile to do your weekly shop for you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Isn't there some sort of scandal involving betting on the Sutton reserve goalkeeper?
    He knew he wasn't going to come on the picture so started to eat a pasty in front of the cameras.

He apparently got some mates to bet that if he ate a pie it would be shown on TV.

He then had to resign as betting on any aspect of a match is match fixing. The commentators and Sutton United manager are sorry he did something stupid. The commentators said they wouldn't have shown it if they knew it was a bet.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Sutton vs Arsenal BBC One 8pm kick off
    Isn't there some sort of scandal involving betting on the Sutton reserve goalkeeper?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    So, I've just been to do the weekly shop. An onerous task at the best of times but even more so when I get to the checkout to discover that once again I've neglected to remove my debit card from my camelbak after the morning cycle ride.

So, I inform them that I will park my full to brimming trolley next to the information desk while I hotfoot it back home to retrieve said debit card.

So, what happens? I get back and my trolley had gone. It had been commandeered by some spotty operative who was just in the process of returning the very last item in the trolley to the fruit and veg section.

I was absolutely apoplectic...

How can I be refunded those wasted 45 minutes of my life ?

Welcome to Sainsburys where good food costs less
    Its a first world problem. Though after Brexit it will be a second world problem if some are to be believed.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Good to see we're back on topic. Great little thread this one...

Some more old supermarket chains from yesteryear:

Pricerite
    MacMarket
    Fine Fare
    The Wavey Lion
    International

If you recognise all of them, you're showing your age

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Presto were acquired by Argyll, who also bought Safeway and badged all Presto stores as Safeway.

Gateway rebranded as Somerfield then were bought by the Co-op, but many were sold on.

Victor Value were bought by Tesco and the smaller stores flogged on again.
    What happened to Safeway?

Did they go bust? I know some of the more profitable stores became Morrisons.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    What happened to Prestos, anyone remember? I remember them from the early 80's and they just disappeared. Did they get taken over?
    Come to think of it, there was also Gateway and Victor Value. Ah, nostalgia...
    Gateway became somerfields

Which was then bought by the coop

Which wasnt a great move

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Thanks for that info. How ironic that Tesco flogged the small stores, and now there are Tesco Metros everywhere. How times change...
    What a lot of people don't realise is that Tesco own the One Stop brand of neighbourhood stores too, so when they boycott the new Tesco Express in favour of the One Stop up the road, Tesco wins!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Presto were acquired by Argyll, who also bought Safeway and badged all Presto stores as Safeway.

Gateway rebranded as Somerfield then were bought by the Co-op, but many were sold on.

Thanks for that info. How ironic that Tesco flogged the small stores, and now there are Tesco Metros everywhere. How times change...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    What happened to Prestos, anyone remember? I remember them from the early 80's and they just disappeared. Did they get taken over?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And it has defined your working career ever since!

I worked as a trolley pusher for Prestos (...'ere mate, want any trolley's for the weekend?...). £1.39 an hour and all the 10ps we could find left in the trolleys.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I had a Saturday job in a supermarket for a short time when much younger. For anyone I deemed to be a twat, I'd scan their fragile items first and hurl heavier objects down in quick succession after. ...
    And it has defined your working career ever since!

I worked as a trolley pusher for Prestos (...'ere mate, want any trolley's for the weekend?...). £1.39 an hour and all the 10ps we could find left in the trolleys.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Sainsbury used to post a league table of items per minute that the cashiers were scanning. There was then a decree come down from the top that rather than speed, focus on making sure that you go at the same pace as the customer is packing their shopping.
    Yep, the bags should be packed up before they deal with the next customer.
    They do that at my local Sainsburys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X