• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Judgement Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Judgement Day"

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Because they are Scottish!?!
    It's the same for all British.

The British leaving in other countries more than 15 years they lose the right to vote. According to British Embassy in Portugal, there are plans to change that.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Tosh, Brextiers would argue with the dead.
    Or in your particular case, the BRAIN dead!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    He gets a vote because he is a Scottish resident over the age of 16.

The aim of most countries is to convince people particularly those who have children, who taxpayers money is being spent on, and young adults is to stay in the country and use their skills to help the economy prosper. So they cannot have different rules for a 50 year old Latvian with adult children who is a builder, and his kid who is 21 year old Latvia with degree who works in the tech industry.
    No taxation without representation. Anyone who pays taxes (or at least would pay taxes here if they earn money) because they're tax resident ought to get a say.

It's pretty poor that EU citizens in the UK who normally get to vote in elections were excluded from the biggest question of all for the country they're part of, especially when it affects them more than the average person. Maybe had they been allowed to vote it might have swung it the other way, but then again by the same principle UK citizens living in München and elsewhere wouldn't get to vote so maybe would have swung it back.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

The aim of most countries is to convince people particularly those who have children, who taxpayers money is being spent on, and young adults is to stay in the country and use their skills to help the economy prosper. So they cannot have different rules for a 50 year old Latvian with adult children who is a builder, and his kid who is 21 year old Latvia with degree who works in the tech industry.
    I'm sure other countries require you to be a citizen to vote on stuff like this.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Glad it's all over actually...

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I don't have as much of an issue about my lack of vote - but WTF does a Latvian who is living in Scotland get a vote?

It makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No different to a Latvian voting against Brexit, if they live her & are registered they are entitled.
    Well that's crackers. It's a UK / Scotland matter. How dare they have a vote. That is a shocker.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    And foreign nationals can vote - that's ok?
    With EU FOM the SNP could invite 50 million EU to reside in Scotland and get their vote for indi2 to swing the vote.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I don't have as much of an issue about my lack of vote - but WTF does a Latvian who is living in Scotland get a vote?

It makes no sense to me.
    No different to a Latvian voting against Brexit, if they live her & are registered they are entitled.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

While it may say Scotland on your birth certificate there is no separate independent state which gives Scottish citizenship to individuals. So until that time the voting had to be restricted to people that could easily be determined to have links to Scotland, and it was decided that using current residency was the only non-controversial way.
    And foreign nationals can vote - that's ok?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Half of America would vote to annex you as the 51st state.

Its like asking the expat Irish or Cornish their opinion.

Seems reasonable to only allow people that want to live there to have a vote.

It makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

While it may say Scotland on your birth certificate there is no separate independent state which gives Scottish citizenship to individuals. So until that time the voting had to be restricted to people that could easily be determined to have links to Scotland, and it was decided that using current residency was the only non-controversial way.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Half of America would vote to annex you as the 51st state.

Its like asking the expat Irish or Cornish their opinion.

Seems reasonable to only allow people that want to live there to have a vote.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Because he currently lives in Scotland and you don't.

I have Scottish born friends' who have never lived in Scotland past the age of 5. Why should people who haven't lived in Scotland for the last 20+ years have a say on Scotland's future?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Never understood why Scottish residents only got an indi vote (including a whole bunch of EU other citizens) but I didn't get a vote despite being born in Scotland (and living in England). I'm all for an indi vote - but WTF a Latvian kebab seller in Perth should have a vote, and this Kincardinshire Lad gets no vote makes no sense to me.
    Because he currently lives in Scotland and you don't.

I have Scottish born friends' who have never lived in Scotland past the age of 5. Why should people who haven't lived in Scotland for the last 20+ years have a say on Scotland's future?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X