• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: If.......

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If......."

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And locking people up without benefit of a court appearance is, by coincidence, the definition of a police state...
    Spot on, Zeity. Britain became a de facto police state on 01/01/06 when the police no longer needed to provide a reason for arresting a citizen. Incidentally, on the same date officials of the CPS were empowered to arrest citizens without charge, the first time the state has been able to directly detain citizens since Maga Carta.

Still, as the usual hard of thinking sorts (Mailman, Chico, etc) would say, "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear from New Labour's one party police state".

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Soon the police will be able to put somone away just for looking funny at them.
    They can already. Since 1st January this year the police no longer have to suspect a crime has been committed or will be prevented by arresting a citizen. It is now only required that the arresting officer believesd "it is necessary". You can then be held for 28 days without charge or knowing what you are accused or (which might legitimately be "nothing" in any case), the equivalent of a two month prison sentence, no doubt shortly to be 90 days, the equivalent of a 6 month prison sentence.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    What I do believe is that the govt. gets a man put into jail for life (ok so he earned it) and then trots out the MI5 head to tell us all that there are thousands ready to kill us....with the queen's speech coming up and even more terrorism legislation coming.

Soon the police will be able to put somone away just for looking funny at them.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    Treat ? Sounds more like punishment, you did well to resist ED.

BTW how does a dalek take a cock up the arse ?
    My thoughts precisely. I never hear from him again. The one and only time I ever met him he looked as though he needed a note from his mum to be allowed to be off school for the day.

I have a maintenance hatch, but I never reveal it while the sun's still shining.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
    The only time I ever got anything off an agent was after a third renewal and he phoned me up and said that as he had nothing better to do that day and had a spare 30 minutes he could take me to the Pizza Hut in Slough "for a treat" and to say thanks. Needless to say, I passed on that one.

I think I'd rather have had the cock up the arse.

Treat ? Sounds more like punishment, you did well to resist ED.

BTW how does a dalek take a cock up the arse ?

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Indeed.

The only time I ever heard of an agent giving anyone anything (other than a c*ck up the @rse), was a champagne night, some people shamed him into....(he was a one man band taking 30% from 35 contractors, sole supplier). As it turned out everyone hated him so much no one turned up, he was very hurt apparently.
    The only time I ever got anything off an agent was after a third renewal and he phoned me up and said that as he had nothing better to do that day and had a spare 30 minutes he could take me to the Pizza Hut in Slough "for a treat" and to say thanks. Needless to say, I passed on that one.

I think I'd rather have had the cock up the arse.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Indeed.

The only time I ever heard of an agent giving anyone anything (other than a c*ck up the @rse), was a champagne night, some people shamed him into....(he was a one man band taking 30% from 35 contractors, sole supplier). As it turned out everyone hated him so much no one turned up, he was very hurt apparently.

Hiya Lucy - glad to see you back! I thought these bozos might have scared you off for good!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Sorry, I'm really hung up on the bag thing....your agent bought you it?

Who's agent buys them a bag?!

And who would wear a bag that their agent bought them??!
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by scriptfromscratch
    i've been with the same agent for 2 years, on 5 different contracts - each time his cut was £100/day or more - he's got me a bag, 3 lunches and for christmas we are going to Stringfellow's

Are you dating your agent?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    each time his cut was £100/day or more

No wonder he does! What's that as a %?

Leave a comment:

• scriptfromscratch
    replied
    i've been with the same agent for 2 years, on 5 different contracts - each time his cut was £100/day or more - he's got me a bag, 3 lunches and for christmas we are going to Stringfellow's

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    look i have an over the shoulder mulberry 'Ridley' bag with a postman's lock closure and adjustable strap - my agent bought it for before you ask.
    I consider myself pretty metrosexual, but the man bag is a hard one to pull off. I tryed one in about 1998, but it just didn't work. I looked like I had a girl's bag - plain and simple. Kudos to you script, if you can do it and not look like a wally.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Sorry, I'm really hung up on the bag thing....your agent bought you it?

Who's agent buys them a bag?!

And who would wear a bag that their agent bought them??!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I thought I was part of intelligent community, until today
    Oh thee of little faith (and sharp tongue). This is the General forum, in which a range of topics are covered. Some intelligent comments are made. It isn't, however, the ultimate bastion of intellectual conversation. You need to go to the caravanning forum for that.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    i said 'time of year' which refers to the period where you wear a poppy to pay respect to those who lost their lives to allow you the freedom to post grotty little messages on forums like this.

I thought I was part of intelligent community, until today
    Blindly following someone or something without questioning it is not a sign of respect...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X