• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Opportunities between Bristol and Edinburgh for a web dev guy"

Collapse

• ECommerceConsultant
    replied
    I'm in a similar position, returning to the UK after living in Germany for a few years. I also would like to avoid the London extreme commutes too. For your skillset, I would think that Bristol would have a lot to offer. Also Birmingham is an up and coming area for tech and other companies, there seems to be a lot of opportunities in that area, but not sure if the city itself would be your thing (it's not mine )

Maybe you could do what I'm planning to do - go back to the UK, find a short-term place to live (because I'm guessing it won't be possible to rent a place without a work contract)... and keep applying and applying until an opportunity comes up, which it will! Then, once job has been found, and you have a contract, then you can use it to rent a property. This way you stay flexible, and can move to wherever the new job might be.

Here's wishing you lots of success with your plans

Leave a comment:

• bluetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    get your boiler serviced on a regular basis.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• legionar
    replied
    Thank you all for the answers !

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Bristol's full of chavs and virtue signalling *******. And lots of angry people on cycles.

Just saying....

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    If you have experience of WebSphere Application Server (WAS) Infrastructure and RDBMS (Oracle & SQL Server), UNIX (preferably AIX, Solaris and RHEL) and UNIX shell scripting gimme a shout.

Or anybody else for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by legionar View Post
    What advices would you give me ?

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Hello everyone, this is Alex, I am a Microsoft web developer guy and at the moment I am planning to return to UK after a long break.
    I lived in London in the past but although the rich job opportunities in London, I find the lifestyle pretty tiring as you travel a lot by trains and buses.
    I think a smaller british city would fit me better and as I studied the job markets my favourites are Bristol and Edinburgh.
    Bristol seems to have more job opportunities while I like Edinburgh more as a place to live (due to cheap cost of living, nature etc).
    Thank you very much !
    All UK contracts in very short supply at the moment. You know Brexit and all that.

I hear Germany is much better . Perhaps best to try there.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Hello everyone, this is Alex, I am a Microsoft web developer guy and at the moment I am planning to return to UK after a long break.
    I lived in London in the past but although the rich job opportunities in London, I find the lifestyle pretty tiring as you travel a lot by trains and buses.
    I think a smaller british city would fit me better and as I studied the job markets my favourites are Bristol and Edinburgh.
    Bristol seems to have more job opportunities while I like Edinburgh more as a place to live (due to cheap cost of living, nature etc).
    Thank you very much !
    Much depends on your doings and reverting to livings place.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You find London tiring as you have yet figured out where to work verses where you live. There is a reason in London that certain areas are expensive to live in as they tend to have better transport links. Also you should be aware some of the quickest ways to get to some places are actually by bike (all kinds) and even rarely car.

Also any city you move to in the UK could lead to loads of commuting if you live in the wrong area.

So I would get a job first and as you are likely to be renting, then find accommodation nearby.

If you plan to go contracting then you should try to live in an area with good road and rail links as you could be traveling anywhere in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Choose where you can afford to live. Choose a career that supports your lifestyle.
    If you choose to be a contractor (even for a while) then make sure you choose somewhere with good travel options so you do not limit yourself as to where you can get jobs.
    Chose getting a sofa in a range of fookin fabrics

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Choose where you can afford to live. Choose a career that supports your lifestyle.
    If you choose to be a contractor (even for a while) then make sure you choose somewhere with good travel options so you do not limit yourself as to where you can get jobs.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Dance like no one is watching and also get your boiler serviced on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• Opportunities between Bristol and Edinburgh for a web dev guy

Thank you very much !

Working...
X