• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Prestigious Shoots

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prestigious Shoots"

Collapse

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    What do you think they were planning on BBQ'ing
    And sometimes they have a spit-roast. You'll enjoy that.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    Don't shoot me , I'll be on a bike in that neck of the woods at the weekend.

What do you think they were planning on BBQ'ing

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Going to Headley this Saturday, they have a shoot every other weekend with a BBQ thrown in. Set in woods good fun!!!

http://www.headleyclaypigeon.com/

Purley clays.
    Don't shoot me , I'll be on a bike in that neck of the woods at the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
    Well, I could waffle on about a load of bollox, but I won't.

I take your point, I really do. However...

I enjoy the tradition, the comeradery (sp?), standing in the middle of a frozen field in early January waiting for that first flush of pheasant to come screaming over the trees in front of me.

I'm not, for so much as a moment, saying anything against clay shooting. I shoot clays regularly - especially out of season, to keep my eye in. But, you see, you miss a clay, you ask for it to be sent again. You miss it, it comes again. And so on, until you hit it - I know that's dramatic, but I'm sure you take my point. Live game, for me at least, brings an element of instinct to shooting which I feel is lacking when you're waiting for something to come whizzing out of a trap.

Also, pheasants don't farm particularly well, so they have to come from somewhere if folk want to eat them.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, ridicule, etc.

Reasonable point if you are out in the countryside and shooting for something for dinner but, as you know, pheasants are bred to shoot and how many would you hit if it wasn't for the beaters going in and giving you a bigger target? I take your point as well but the game has little real chance in most shoots and there are too many gung ho types that can't shoot and just end up clipping wings etc so the birds suffer. IMHO it is far from sport but if that's your thing....

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Other than lead poisoning...
    Oh purlease

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Other than lead poisoning...
    Leave the shot on the side of the plate my dear boy/lizard...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Ah but would you take so much pleasure from eating it if you had just watched it die? And could you kill it?
    Considering I've been brought up shooting and eating game, yes. No qualms whatsoever.

Next question.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Going to Headley this Saturday, they have a shoot every other weekend with a BBQ thrown in. Set in woods good fun!!!

Purley clays.
    Nice one, thanks - that's one to book in for closed season - and far enough so we can take the WAGs and they can drive back from the pub. Brill.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    No I would just like to know how killing can be fun - I shoot clays and that's fun but can't see how you can get any enjoyment from murder
    Well, I could waffle on about a load of bollox, but I won't.

I take your point, I really do. However...

I enjoy the tradition, the comeradery (sp?), standing in the middle of a frozen field in early January waiting for that first flush of pheasant to come screaming over the trees in front of me.

I'm not, for so much as a moment, saying anything against clay shooting. I shoot clays regularly - especially out of season, to keep my eye in. But, you see, you miss a clay, you ask for it to be sent again. You miss it, it comes again. And so on, until you hit it - I know that's dramatic, but I'm sure you take my point. Live game, for me at least, brings an element of instinct to shooting which I feel is lacking when you're waiting for something to come whizzing out of a trap.

Also, pheasants don't farm particularly well, so they have to come from somewhere if folk want to eat them.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, ridicule, etc.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    I take great pleasure in eating the little(and sometimes not so little) feckers afterwards.
    Ah but would you take so much pleasure from eating it if you had just watched it die? And could you kill it?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    No mate, I'm not darn sarf at the mo - quite the contrary, in fact.

I live in the country, I am actively involved in shooting, and I subscribe to the SG, the ST, the Field et al, but was just looking for some personal recommendations. That's all...

Purley clays.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No I would just like to know how killing can be fun - I shoot clays and that's fun but can't see how you can get any enjoyment from murder
    I take great pleasure in eating the little(and sometimes not so little) feckers afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    You are a treehugger and I claim my £5.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Are you working in the square mile? There's bound to be a few city walla's there who "nip to the country" at the weekend, have a word. Failing that, try "Shooting Gazette".
    No mate, I'm not darn sarf at the mo - quite the contrary, in fact.

I live in the country, I am actively involved in shooting, and I subscribe to the SG, the ST, the Field et al, but was just looking for some personal recommendations. That's all...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Listen smartarse. I meant something I can do without requiring an invite

I am jealous, though. Good work mate.
    Are you working in the square mile? There's bound to be a few city walla's there who "nip to the country" at the weekend, have a word. Failing that, try "Shooting Gazette".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X