• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Here comes the crash!"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-perron-33561b23

So ends the ballad of Jeremy Perron.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Pulling up the drawbridge - Telegraph

27 Oct 2001

Jeremy and Angela Perron were another couple who anticipated the trend. Two years before the millennium, they sold their home in Wiltshire and headed for a self-sufficient cottage in isolated Forres, Morayshire.
    Not only did they stock up on rice and pulses, but they made sure that the cottage they bought had its own water supply and generator in case essential services collapsed.
    The Perrons have since separated but are still living in Forres, where there is quite a large self-sufficient community. Jeremy Perron, a computer supremo, now lives on a nearby country estate. "Although there was no millennium bug disaster, I have no regrets about our move up here," he says. "We wanted to get away from the panic that is created every time something comes to threaten our lives.
    "The south of England is like a powder keg - everyone is waiting for something to happen. With our community bartering system, we are self-sufficient on a wide scale."
    Once upon a time, such self-reliant dreams were confined to the beards-and-sandals brigade. Now, Utopia is beginning to look like common sense.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    This reminds me of those winkers that sold up before the millenuim and bought a smallholding in Scotland from where they could ride out the zombie apocalypse.

I wonder what happened to them.
    BBC News | SCOTLAND | Millennium bug bites couple

Sunday, 14 May, 2000

An English couple who fled to Scotland with their two children to escape Y2K meltdown have finally been bitten by the millennium bug.
    Angela and Jeremy Perron have admitted they are to divorce nearly two years after moving to Forres, Morayshire, from their previous home in Wiltshire.

They said the media spotlight and the strain of stockpiling three weeks' worth of food put unbearable strain on their marriage.

Mr Perron, who did not enjoy the publicity their lifestyle had attracted, has moved out of the family home.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

In hindsight, history will record the fact that Brexit was when Britian subsided into obscurity, irrelevance and relative penury.
    so it will join You & Scooter soon?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Oh really? That's why Germany is per capita the largest exporter in the world by a long margin?
    And the only Western country with surpluses?
    Germany is not the EU.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Good graph and quite right.
    Shame we have not much to sell to these high growth areas and are concentrated in selling services to the EU and US.
    But hey you keep believing the nationalist bollux you've been fed.
    When you lose your job though, remember it was the idiots you believed who caused it.
    Plenty of work in defence, energy, oil & gas, aerospace.

I'll be fine thanks [emoji41]

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

In hindsight, history will record the fact that Brexit was when sasguru subsided into obscurity, irrelevance and relative penury.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But history will also note that Europe sank faster.
    Oh really? That's why Germany is per capita the largest exporter in the world by a long margin?
    And the only Western country with surpluses?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    There is huge opportunity to turn up the fire on the commonwealth.

Look where the global grow is (it's not the EU).

Good graph and quite right.
    Shame we have not much to sell to these high growth areas and are concentrated in selling services to the EU and US.
    But hey you keep believing the nationalist bollux you've been fed.
    When you lose your job though, remember it was the idiots you believed who caused it.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Cash in at peak UK is the idea.
    After Brexit I'll buy the town you live in

In hindsight, history will record the fact that Brexit was when Britian subsided into obscurity, irrelevance and relative penury.
    Huddersfield? Then you'll have problems. You could probably buy it right now in any case. In fact, **** it SAS, you can just have it

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Here comes the crash!

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    At least the EU is investing in its young...

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 9 December 2016, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    This 3% SLDT nonsense is nothing compared to what the new Section 24 tax will add to tenant's bills. You would have thought that the government could learn from Ireland's failed implementation of this tax.
    Yep stamp duty if you pay more than £125k in rent, cumulatively, over however many years you rent for. I'm guessing that's if you stay in the one property (I certainly hope so) for the long term. Just encourages people to move around, creating income for referencing agencies and letting agents, and instability for people that just want somewhere to live.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

There is huge opportunity to turn up the fire on the commonwealth.

Look where the global grow is (it's not the EU).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    This reminds me of those winkers that sold up before the millenuim and bought a smallholding in Scotland from where they could ride out the zombie apocalypse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X