• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: menstrual leave?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "menstrual leave?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    My missus used to suffer from terrible period pains

The pill helped a bit but not much

She also had a habit of fainting but it never stopped her doing anything.

Whilst i have sympathy with people who get these the main problems would be that far too many would just use it as a few days off whether they needed it or not.
    I doubt it.

Since there is evidence women are discriminated against due to having maternity leave and disabled people are discriminated against due to their illnesses in employment, women wouldn't take it unless they had to.

Added to that you would get the people who are like the idiots on here would presume that the reason a woman is sick in a cyclical nature is due to her periods when it is something completely different.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You seemed to have missed the surgeon was male.
    course he was, as if a woman could become a surgeon

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    men are rubbish and women are great
    You seemed to have missed the surgeon was male.

Leave a comment:

• Willapp
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Like maternity leave? It's not discrimination if it is available to everyone who needs it. Most women probably don't, but a significant number do suffer to the extent that it affects their ability to function normally.
    It's getting a bit OT but actually you make a fair point and for people like myself who don't plan on having kids, you could argue that the availability of paid maternity/paternity leave is discriminatory. Perhaps a fairer system is that employers should offer staff a one-time extended paid leave to be used as they see fit, then those who want a child can use it for that, those that don't can just take a break from work.

Again this is a bit tongue-in-cheek but it could be seen as an actual issue for some, and I'm not sure I actually think that parents should be able to take paid maternity leave more than once - if you want more than one child then I think you should take unpaid leave to have it. Our population is too high already without making it easy on people who procreate excessively. Same goes for benefits I think they should only apply to first child, if you want any more then pay for them yourself.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    My missus used to suffer from terrible period pains

The pill helped a bit but not much

She also had a habit of fainting but it never stopped her doing anything.

Whilst i have sympathy with people who get these the main problems would be that far too many would just use it as a few days off whether they needed it or not.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Yeah sure...

Luckily a few years ago when I kept getting bad colds the NHS decided that I actually needed an ENT operation and then found at the reason for them. Oddly all the people who put the pieces together were female. The male clinicians who I initially complained to decided I was making it up though the male ENT consultant who decided I needed the op didn't.
    men are rubbish and women are great

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post

Bottom line is I don't see how companies can give specific leave for a certain type of problem that only a subset of the workforce can ever have - it's discrimination if you look at it in those terms
    Like maternity leave? It's not discrimination if it is available to everyone who needs it. Most women probably don't, but a significant number do suffer to the extent that it affects their ability to function normally.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I didn't think I was fighting with you.

Is pr1 your sockie?
    I think you've whooshed yourself there.

Barrydidit wasn't talking about you; rather pr1's other half.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Clearly. She must be a game bird to be married to a twunt like that.
    I didn't think I was fighting with you.

Is pr1 your sockie?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    A woman knows as much about having a bad cold as a man does about periods.
    Yeah sure...

Luckily a few years ago when I kept getting bad colds the NHS decided that I actually needed an ENT operation and then found at the reason for them. Oddly all the people who put the pieces together were female. The male clinicians who I initially complained to decided I was making it up though the male ENT consultant who decided I needed the op didn't.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Does she like sport? If not I don't think we would get on.
    Clearly. She must be a game bird to be married to a twunt like that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Why because I challenge a man who is talking tulip about an issue?

FYI No I'm not on. And as you seem to think you know a lot about women's menstrual cycles I'm not premenstrual either I just have a bad cold.
    A woman knows as much about having a bad cold as a man does about periods.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I actually don't have any problems with pain but know a number of ladies who do.

I find your posts about the issue and the assumptions you have made including that about the help you get from the NHS are both patronising and stupid.
    fluffy kittens.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    I think you and my mrs would get on like a house on fire
    Does she like sport? If not I don't think we would get on.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I never suggested the Pill worked for everyone I just know it has worked for a number of ladies who suffer from it. As does Asprin, Ibuprofen and a hot bath. Some however have had more serious issues.

Sorry if your GP isn't any good, why don't you try another. Its obviously a problem for you.

I'm sorry for having the temerity to discuss wimmin's problems, obviously as a man I can't know anything and shouldn't worry my pretty little head.
    I actually don't have any problems with pain but know a number of ladies who do.

I find your posts about the issue and the assumptions you have made including that about the help you get from the NHS are both patronising and stupid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X