• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fidel Castro hero of the EU"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    a few statements ..
    comes to something when Donald trump makes more sense than the career politicians in the UK.

Galloway & Livingstone are on my don't piss on if on fire list along with B'liar & B'ruin.

I would throw water on Ed & Jezzy they are just too stupid to rule!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    All UK PM's are unelected, you don't vote for the PM you want.
    no but you vote for the party, they select the PM. The PM doesn't decide they can't be arsed with elections and stay for 50 years killing the opposition like these did.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    a few statements ..

“Today, the world marks the passing of a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades. Fidel Castro’s legacy is one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights. While Cuba remains a totalitarian island, it is my hope that today marks a move away from the horrors endured for too long, and toward a future in which the wonderful Cuban people finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve.

Though the tragedies, deaths and pain caused by Fidel Castro cannot be erased, our administration will do all it can to ensure the Cuban people can finally begin their journey toward prosperity and liberty. I join the many Cuban Americans who supported me so greatly in the presidential campaign, including the Brigade 2506 Veterans Association that endorsed me, with the hope of one day soon seeing a free Cuba.”

President-elect Donald J Trump
    Although the death of a human being is rarely cause for celebration, it is the symbolic death of the destructive ideologies that he espoused that, I believe, is filling the Cuban exile community with renewed hope and a relief that has been long in coming. And although the grip of Castro's regime will not loosen overnight, the demise of a leader that oversaw the annihilation of those with an opposing view, the indiscriminate jailing of innocents, the separation of families, the censure of his people's freedom to speak, state sanctioned terrorism and the economic destruction of a once thriving & successful country, can only lead to positive change for the Cuban people and our world. May freedom continue to ring in the United States, my beautiful adopted country and may the hope for freedom be inspired and renewed in the heart of every Cuban in my homeland and throughout the world.

Gloria Estefan...
    You were the greatest man I ever met Comandante Fidel. You were the man of the century. Hasta la Victoria Siepmre. Orden. RIP

George Galloway
    I’ve been to Cuba many times, it’s a very open and relaxed society. I’m sure they will, over time, move towards something like a traditional West European democracy… We didn’t have an entirely functioning democracy in World War Two, it was shut down. The general election was cancelled, anyone expressing support for Hitler was thrown into prison.

Ken Livingstone

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    All UK PM's are unelected, you don't vote for the PM you want.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    neither of these unelected dictators were very nice.

Whilst being a fan of Maggie I didn't agree with everything she believed in.
    She lost the plot over Pinochet

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Had to laugh, LBC just made the same point as me, Compared Fidel to Hitler & Stalin.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    neither of these unelected dictators were very nice.

Whilst being a fan of Maggie I didn't agree with everything she believed in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    https://euobserver.com/foreign/136063

There are a good number of useful idiots on here that would suck up to Castro just as they do to the EU

In a statement on Saturday, roundly criticised on social media, Juncker said that Castro was "one of the historic figures of the past century" and that "the world has lost a man who was a hero for many."
    "He changed the course of his country and his influence reached far beyond. Fidel Castro remains one of the revolutionary figures of the 20th century. His legacy will be judged by history," he added.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...het-death.html

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Exactly, that was my point. It was just three lines of self-evident waffle.
    I'm with you brother!

I suppose he can't really say Fidel was a nutter who fought capitalism at the expense of his people, I mean Castro's brother is still at the helm. But it does seem like he doesn't have the balls to show any dislike for a very unpleasant person.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

yeah seems to work for anyone.
    Exactly, that was my point. It was just three lines of self-evident waffle.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    In fairness, nothing in Juncker's statement expresses any approval for Castro.

They're just statements of facts, although that in itself is pretty mealy mouthed and cowardly in the circs.
    Adolph Hitler was one of the historic figures of the past century and the embodiment of the German resurgence. With the death of Adolph Hitler, the world has lost a man who was a hero for many. He changed the course of his country and his influence reached far beyond. Adolph Hitler, remains one of the revolutionary figures of the 20th century. His legacy will be judged by history.

Josef Stalin was one of the historic figures of the past century and the embodiment of the Russian Revolution. With the death of Josef Stalin, the world has lost a man who was a hero for many. He changed the course of his country and his influence reached far beyond. Josef Stalin, remains one of the revolutionary figures of the 20th century. His legacy will be judged by history.

yeah seems to work for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm given to understand that he passed that particular baton to the nutjob with a funny haircut in North Korea.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    To be fair to dear old Fidel, he did come closer, with a bit of assistance from his mates JFK & Mr Khrushchev, to sterilizing the planet for a megayear or two than any one else last century.

That would have made dear old Chairman Mao look like an amateur.
    Fair point

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    https://euobserver.com/foreign/136063

There are a good number of useful idiots on here that would suck up to Castro just as they do to the EU

In a statement on Saturday, roundly criticised on social media, Juncker said that Castro was "one of the historic figures of the past century" and that "the world has lost a man who was a hero for many."
    "He changed the course of his country and his influence reached far beyond. Fidel Castro remains one of the revolutionary figures of the 20th century. His legacy will be judged by history," he added.
    In fairness, nothing in Juncker's statement expresses any approval for Castro.

They're just statements of facts, although that in itself is pretty mealy mouthed and cowardly in the circs.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Here is another so called popular virtue signalling leftie now showing his true colours What Trudeau's Castro comments reveal (Opinion) - CNN.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X