• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Value for money or not?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Or a luxury New Labour open prison for terrorists.

Only fair.

Leave a comment:

• Nipple Clamp
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_
    It's the left hand wing of the building, so about 1/3 of the total in the picture.

5 ground floor rooms.
    8 first floor rooms
    8 Bedrooms.

And I guess you don't get any land, just access rights.
    You probably would get a fair bit of land, as a joint freeholder with the other occupants. But look at all those rolling acres of lawns that need mowing, and gardens needing constant care. I'd guess they must need at least one full-time gardener, and most likely two or three. Also, if the roof needs re-leading that will be a couple of hundred grand for starters, shared between the two or three (?) freeholders.

It is possible to get grants for building maintenance and such like, provided you agree to open the grounds and maybe even some interior rooms to the public for a certain number of days a year.

Even so, apart from the remote location, it would be a great place to live, especially if you had a large family.

I wonder why some enterprising person or consortium doesn't buy the whole lot and turn it into a boarding school. It sounds ideal for that.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    It's the left hand wing of the building, so about 1/3 of the total in the picture.

5 ground floor rooms.
    8 first floor rooms
    8 Bedrooms.

And I guess you don't get any land, just access rights.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    Either someone can't count, or it's not all of it.

The ground plan shows 20 ground floor rooms and states 28,000 ft2 (sic).

tim
    Bijou, methinks

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Either someone can't count, or it's not all of it.

The ground plan shows 20 ground floor rooms and states 28,000 ft2 (sic).

tim

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I think you will find thats an old advert from 1945.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Aberystwyth: 8 miles, Tregaron: 11 miles, Swansea: 100 miles
    I would go for it, but the chances of getting a good speed on a DSL line are remote. So sadly, I'll have to let this one go.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What a pity - and I hoped that nice house is the first with sensible price

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Grade II and "restoration" implies legally required work to do some very expensive restoration work? Okay, how much can that cost - another £500k?
    For this building in its implied state and with a Grade II* listing you'd need to multiply that estimate by 10. At least.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Grade II and "restoration" implies legally required work to do some very expensive restoration work? Okay, how much can that cost - another £500k?

Grade II* means you cant do anything to the property without aproval from English Heritage and even then it has to be fully in keeping with the original fabric of the building. No central heating, no double glazing, no unapproved roof repairs - even if the rain is pissing in. You cant paint, decorate or do anyting to the place with it being approved first and everything costs 20 times normal prices because it has to be done by hand as a restoration work.

Carrying out unauthorised works to a Listed Building is a criminal offence (under Section 9 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990) and as such subsequent penalties can be heavy.

From the desription it sounds like there is a massive amount of work that needs doing just to keep it habitable.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
    None, would be my reading of it. A bottomless money pit only for the likes of Threaded. The Grade II* listing spells trouble as well.
    It certainly does - I can't paint our house in a colour the missus likes - let alone keeping the council (or whoever it is) happy...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes, now I've read it a couple of times, looks like a barge pole don't touch with a property.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
    quite how much land you actually 'get' is a mystery to me...
    None, would be my reading of it. A bottomless money pit only for the likes of Threaded. The Grade II* listing spells trouble as well.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    # Grade II* listed mansion house
    # Potential for restoration
    money pit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X