• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Macbook Pro

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Macbook Pro"

Collapse

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What's the maximum capacity of a commercially available stick? 128GB? Perhaps in a server, but not an ordinary desktop/laptop. I guess you'd need a pretty high-end motherboard too. Anyway, no, I have a high-end machine (64GB), but nothing like that. TBH, I can't imagine too many applications for that sort of RAM outside of a server environment, with equivalent processing power(?).
    It is for in memory analytics. The raw dataset sits in memory, not just the results. Could do one at a time with maybe 64gb but more is better.

You're right in that I've only seen it run on a 32 core server so far. Would be useful to have a standalone though.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    We know that, its a shame others don't.

It seems that a lot of elegance and deep problem solving has gone from system implementation.
    I just wish IT was seen as a true engineering discipline, it is at some places, but at most it isn't.

in fact, a number of people told me that at one time, the Post Office was good to work for, as they treated IT as an engineering discipline, ISEB compliance etc.
    Probably not the case now, as I understand Fujitsu messed things up over there

People still don't get that following due process, limiting workarounds and sudden last minute changes, delivers reliable, working, systems, providing you can get the right personnel on board to deliver it.
    The myth of fail fast is a killing organisations. It sounds very sage when some megalomaniac is stood on a stage telling everyone how great they are at deploying code to their hedgehog watching site that generates no value and is only a year old. but the chances are they won't survive long enough to see the fissures appear in their cores..

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I would love to know who came up with that computers are cheap line. They are a genius! I have had to cost end to end infrastructures and I can tell you when you start to add backups, licences support, racks power then cooling, the last thing a badly used piece of hardware is, is cheap. Its frikken expensive actually!

We are seeing it with AWS stuff as well. Dev's create an instance of something and its pretty inefficient before the shaky code goes on but that's ok because we are building for horizontal web scale () given that most server sizes in AWS are about a third of the speed of one physical box of the same memory and CPU spec that "we web scale it..." is costing thens of thousands of extra needless pounds...
    We know that, its a shame others don't.

It seems that a lot of elegance and deep problem solving has gone from system implementation.
    I just wish IT was seen as a true engineering discipline, it is at some places, but at most it isn't.

in fact, a number of people told me that at one time, the Post Office was good to work for, as they treated IT as an engineering discipline, ISEB compliance etc.
    Probably not the case now, as I understand Fujitsu messed things up over there

People still don't get that following due process, limiting workarounds and sudden last minute changes, delivers reliable, working, systems, providing you can get the right personnel on board to deliver it.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Obviously, the end result was a system that became bloated with rubbish and slowed down beyond belief. As computing power is relatively cheap these days, unfortunately that sort of "abuse" becomes even more common.
    I would love to know who came up with that computers are cheap line. They are a genius! I have had to cost end to end infrastructures and I can tell you when you start to add backups, licences support, racks power then cooling, the last thing a badly used piece of hardware is, is cheap. Its frikken expensive actually!

We are seeing it with AWS stuff as well. Dev's create an instance of something and its pretty inefficient before the shaky code goes on but that's ok because we are building for horizontal web scale () given that most server sizes in AWS are about a third of the speed of one physical box of the same memory and CPU spec that "we web scale it..." is costing thens of thousands of extra needless pounds...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    This is a good link and the whole its not worth the effort to invest in professionals is an interesting point. The way I have seen things move in the office world is users were given iPads and phones as home gifts to replace to a truly awful home PC that was taking up an entire corner of a room. They used them, liked them and then started to come into the office and ask:
    "Why are you still torturing me with this windows ecosystem???"

Soon we were seeing BYOD cropping up everywhere (its a symptom by the way not the solution) and soon the office is full of Macs proving that you can indeed run them as well as windows etc.

So the problem for Apple is if they stop being interested in the hard stuff that offices do. Users will have less reason to bring them into an office and pretty soon all they have are iPads and phones.

Thats far too short sighted.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    What so that tulipe programmers can crap poor memory structures all over it while it adds bulk heat and power draw... Seriously?

Some of my last actual engineering work was spent using D-trace to slap the tulip out of the usual bunch of offshore morons that had shat out some of the worst code you could imagine and were then trying to tell the client that the million or so in sun equipment that they bought for a shared service was too small...

All this object orientated crap has created a bunch of morons that think they can code... It wasn't till I saw KSAR that I realised that Java was actually a clever language in the right hands...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ksar/

dont know how it runs these days but it was the fasted stuff I had seen when I was using it in 2007..
    It happens with database appliances, also.
    I remember, years ago, when Netezza was the new platform at the time and boy was it fast.

It was a worldwide deployment, so we couldn't stop others from putting poor database structures on the platform. Their view was the thing was so powerful you could put anything on it, no data modelling required .

Obviously, the end result was a system that became bloated with rubbish and slowed down beyond belief. As computing power is relatively cheap these days, unfortunately that sort of "abuse" becomes even more common.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Anyone got a laptop or PC with a TB RAM? Or near?
    What so that tulipe programmers can crap poor memory structures all over it while it adds bulk heat and power draw... Seriously?

Some of my last actual engineering work was spent using D-trace to slap the tulip out of the usual bunch of offshore morons that had shat out some of the worst code you could imagine and were then trying to tell the client that the million or so in sun equipment that they bought for a shared service was too small...

All this object orientated crap has created a bunch of morons that think they can code... It wasn't till I saw KSAR that I realised that Java was actually a clever language in the right hands...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ksar/

dont know how it runs these days but it was the fasted stuff I had seen when I was using it in 2007..

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    What's the maximum capacity of a commercially available stick? 128GB? Perhaps in a server, but not an ordinary desktop/laptop. I guess you'd need a pretty high-end motherboard too. Anyway, no, I have a high-end machine (64GB), but nothing like that. TBH, I can't imagine too many applications for that sort of RAM outside of a server environment, with equivalent processing power(?).

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Why does this individual expect to run HAL on a laptop?

I'm still using a 2007 Macbook pro for my piano, the machine just refuses to die. An update would serve no purpose.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    https://milen.me/writings/mac-platform-decline/

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    I can't understand their obsession with making it even thinner, they've reduced the size by 20% overall, maybe if they'd only reduced it by 19% they could have accommodated more ram...
    More ram costs more power. Ram vs SSD paging is negligible for most users. So a smaller,lighter, fast enough MacBook Pro that can be carried without a charger is better for the user.

I have a 16 gb 13 inch mac and since I moved to over to google docs and stoppped using windows, I charge it around 20 mins every 2 days.

I have a light a4 sleeve that carries my mac an iPad and a few lightening connectors and a EE MIFI box.

Compare that with the average PC guy and their over stuffed Swiss Army backpack.

One really nice feature of the latest OSX os is the way it's stores docs in iCloud. Didn't even bother to bring my laptop home this week. I just logged into the home Mac mini and all my stuff was there for me.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Space issues form what I've read. To maximize battery space the board is a custom design with everything as crammed in as possible and there just isn't the space
    I can't understand their obsession with making it even thinner, they've reduced the size by 20% overall, maybe if they'd only reduced it by 19% they could have accommodated more ram...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    But you can install a 2TB SSD - ohh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Yeah I thought they would offer a 32gb version with the upgrade you can configure a dell XPS with that, space issues maybe or a processor/motherboard limitation?
    Space issues form what I've read. To maximize battery space the board is a custom design with everything as crammed in as possible and there just isn't the space

Leave a comment:

Working...
X