• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Heathrow runway - will it ever happen?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Let's hope we are both alive when that happens.
    Since the government wants to hand over (dump) the management of train lines that go through London on the Mayor of London by 2020, we should be.

The buses improved when the Mayor took over. They are all on franchises but timetabled by TFL who take a more proactive approach than the Department of Transport.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    You are forgetting the fact that LHR is not just about passengers. About 50K work there, and some of the estates nearby are equivalent to small towns on their own. BA Waterside alone is huge. Most of the Hayes, Feltham, Ashford and Hounslow industrial estates are populated by freight and logistics companies. Half of Slough is reliant on LHR for the same reason. It's also no coincidence that so many tech companies are located around the M3 / M4 corridor. Stockley Park was only built because of its proximity to LHR. Then there are all the suppliers (catering, engineering etc.)
    So take that 50k, multiply it by about 10, add in their families, and then add in the people that would be needed to support that number (schools, hospitals, retail outlets, various other public services - you add whatever you think I've missed) and their families, and we're up at around 1.5 million. Even at the most optimistic guess, that around 100k daily will use Crossrail or whatever the high speed rail equivalent may be to travel to work or travel as passengers between London and the new "Island" airport, the freight traffic alone will kill the M25 stone dead.
    As I tried to explain earlier, the "footprint" of LHR is about the same size as Birmingham, like it or not. Freight alone is worth around £150bn a year.
    Comparing that to HK building a new airport about 20m away from the old one is like comparing apples and oranges. I'll bet you 10p they don't have low emission zones and traffic restrictions on large freight vehicles.
    I'm sure you'll want to compare LHR to the newish (and very nice) airport in Munich, but with all due respect, Munich isn't the south east of England, and Hong Kong isn't either.

This is not the policy for prosperity, in my opinion. The airport's function is transport, not jobs. Increasing capacity at an 'at capacity' airport is only going to clog the arteries, such as the M25.

If we keep pussy footing around like this we'll never be bold enough to develop diddly.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You are giving your age away

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You mean this one:-

You are giving your age away

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It is a pain in the ass for you to get to not me.

The Unions are trying to get rid of Southern.
    Let's hope we are both alive when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    I liked the idea of Boris' Island in the Thames estuary
    I refer the deeply dishonourable gentleman to my previous answer...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    You mean this one:-

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Indeed, love using Gatwick, flew in Sunday, landed and was back home in just less than an hour.

Admittedly, we flew business and only had hand luggage, so that helped

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Most of East & West Sussex & Surrey too
    Indeed, love using Gatwick, flew in Sunday, landed and was back home in just less than an hour.

Admittedly, we flew business and only had hand luggage, so that helped

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Heathrow runway - will it ever happen?

Anywhere in South London / Kent, also?
    Most of East & West Sussex & Surrey too

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    That's fine for you, maybe, but it's £65 e/w in a cab for me. Which in some cases is more than the actual airfare. It's dead handy if you live in or near Brighton, and fairly close to useless if you don't.
    Anywhere in South London / Kent, also?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

That's fine for you, maybe, but it's £65 e/w in a cab for me. Which in some cases is more than the actual airfare. It's dead handy if you live in or near Brighton, and fairly close to useless if you don't.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    True. 25 mins for me by car. Closer to an hour to LHR.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Dunno. Will it be built on top of SasGuru? Only then will I start giving a fluck.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We've settled the argument about LGW. It's a royal pain in the arse to get to. 1 road (M23 - usually fecked) and 1 train line (usually on strike). Build a second runway there by all means, but only in addition to LHR3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X