• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another one bites the Red dust"

Collapse

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Actually the Germans captured an Upkeep that didn't go off, disarmed it, did some trials with it but failed to work out you needed to backspin it.

Thick bastards, didn't they watch the movie?
    They heard about the dog and boycotted it.

Anyway, wikipedia says of the german bouncing bomb:
    Originally posted by wikipedia
    After Operation Chastise, German forces discovered an Upkeep bomb intact in the wreckage of the Lancaster commanded by Flt Lt Barlow, which had struck high tension cables at Haldern, near Rees, Germany and crashed; the bomb had not been released and the aircraft had crashed on land, firing none of the detonation devices.[41] Subsequently, a 385-kilogram (849 lb) version of Upkeep, code-named "Kurt" or "Emil", was built at the Luftwaffe's Erprobungsstelle, or "test site", on Germany's Baltic coast at Travemünde, one in a network of four such establishments in Nazi Germany. The importance of back-spin was not understood and trials by a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 proved to be dangerous to the aircraft as the bomb matched the speed at which it was dropped. Attempts to rectify this with booster rockets failed and the project was discontinued in 1944

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    No it is not. It is a standard British imperial ton. With a smoothly oiled 'tache on it's stiff upper lip.
    Actually the Germans captured an Upkeep that didn't go off, disarmed it, did some trials with it but failed to work out you needed to backspin it.

Thick bastards, didn't they watch the movie?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ah bum. Haven't seen the news but I am actually pretty disappointed if this is true. I do find this stuff interesting and does slightly piss me off how much money has been wasted. Such a shame. I just hope someone is held accountable though.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Chaparelli lander not responding

Abrupt stop in signals

Think it bounced too hard.
    Its them bloody Martians again, can't say I blame em though.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Is that an American tonne?
    No it is not. It is a standard British imperial ton. With a smoothly oiled 'tache on it's stiff upper lip.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    4 ton
    Is that an American tonne?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Kin 'ell, Guy Gibson managed it with a 7 ton mine in the dark at 60 feet at 246 mph in a Lanc in 1943, surely we can land a lander on Mars. I mean, I can see Mars in the sky, how far away can it be?
    4 ton

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    54.6 million kilometers to Mars. A Merc diesel isn't even run in at that mileage.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

Abrupt stop in signals

Kin 'ell, Guy Gibson managed it with a 7 ton mine in the dark at 60 feet at 246 mph in a Lanc in 1943, surely we can land a lander on Mars. I mean, I can see Mars in the sky, how far away can it be?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    European Space Agency, says it all.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    started a topic Another one bites the Red dust

Another one bites the Red dust

Abrupt stop in signals

Working...