• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Obese patients and smokers banned from routine surgery in 'most severe ever' ration"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    This is a small overcrowded island.

Do you want the whole country to end up like Birmingham?
    what full of Russians & Terrified Squirrels?

Yep its the American thing, build more houses its what we would do! You have to remind them that the UK is a third of the size of Texas.

MapFight - United Kingdom vs Texas size comparison

UK is 1% the size of Russia.

MapFight - United Kingdom vs Russia size comparison

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    When I drive to office I can see plenty of run down unused buildings with broken windows, why can't cheap housing be build there?

When I drive on M40 to Heathrow I can see endless green land - there is plenty of space in this country to have very cheap housing, albeit not everybody is going to get a nice view of the Big Ben - those houses will inevitably be limited and thus very expensive.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Build more houses, that's the right answer.

Be entrepreneurial for fecks sake.
    This is a small overcrowded island.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    2nd homes don't add to a community feel. And they push up house prices. I would ban 2nd home ownership. Or at least tax it a 1000000%
    Build more houses, that's the right answer.

Be entrepreneurial for fecks sake.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    But empty houses don't generate garbage, don't require much of policing, edukation etc - fair council tax for an empty house should be maybe 10% of full rate, certainly not 100%.

btw, shaunbhoy lives there, maybe that would convince you that it's totally fair...
    2nd homes don't add to a community feel. And they push up house prices. I would ban 2nd home ownership. Or at least tax it a 1000000%

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's unfair to the people who actually live in Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk etc the vast majority of the time. Are they suppose to have their council services cut because the second home owners can't be bothered to pay full price for them?
    But empty houses don't generate garbage, don't require much of policing, edukation etc - fair council tax for an empty house should be maybe 10% of full rate, certainly not 100%.

btw, shaunbhoy lives there, maybe that would convince you that it's totally fair...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Very unfair to second home owners I say.
    It's unfair to the people who actually live in Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk etc the vast majority of the time. Are they suppose to have their council services cut because the second home owners can't be bothered to pay full price for them?

Build more houses and increase overall wealth I say.
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    BTW They got rid of the discount to discourage second home owners e.g. Cornwall and foreign "investors" e.g. London leaving properties empty.
    Very unfair to second home owners I say.

Build more houses and increase overall wealth I say.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Most foreigners work and pay the same level of NI/tax as Brits, why would they not be entitled to the care from NHS? The so called health tourism is very limited, regardless of what the DailyMail tells you.
    Health tourism is from non-EU countries normally developing ones - other EU nationals once they have experienced the "great" NHS try to go back to their own countries for healthcare.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What about foreigners, or children of foreigners. Can we calculate that as well please, just for balance?
    Most foreigners work and pay the same level of NI/tax as Brits, why would they not be entitled to the care from NHS? The so called health tourism is very limited, regardless of what the DailyMail tells you.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    What about gastric band surgery?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Poll tax to me sounds much fairer than current Council Tax.
    I reckon a single person living in a squalid flat in the West Midlands would come out about the same under either system.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well seeing as the cost to the NHS from obesity is estimated to be larger than the cost from smokers and the tax smokers pay outweighs their cost to the NHS I am most miffed.

Fat feckers
    What about foreigners, or children of foreigners. Can we calculate that as well please, just for balance?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Council tax totally unfair - based mostly on value of house even though services used clearly depend on number of people living in it - more garbage from 4 people than 1. Single occupancy discount is 25% (LOL!), and not even given at all if property is empty (where I live).

Poll tax as I read about it - "a head tax that saw every adult pay a fixed rate amount set by their local authority." is much fairer since it directly taxes adults, sounds much fairer to me.
    Go read your history books - though I think there still a program on iPlayer about the 80s.

You also seem unaware that most council money comes from Central Government.

BTW They got rid of the discount to discourage second home owners e.g. Cornwall and foreign "investors" e.g. London leaving properties empty.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Council tax totally unfair - based mostly on value of house even though services used clearly depend on number of people living in it - more garbage from 4 people than 1. Single occupancy discount is 25% (LOL!), and not even given at all if property is empty (where I live).

Poll tax as I read about it - "a head tax that saw every adult pay a fixed rate amount set by their local authority." is much fairer since it directly taxes adults, sounds much fairer to me.
    You are stuffed if they tax adult squirrels. You would pay for yourself and your harem of 25 female furry friends....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X