• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question about government contracts"

Collapse

• hattra
    replied
    I believe there is a "commitment" by the Government to make all contracts of less than £100,000 value open to all bidders (supposedly through the internet), but it seems to mainly affect Local Government, rather than National. The best bet would be to find out about any local Private Finance Initiatives in the local area, and then contact the bidders in that as a sub-contractor

And BTW, a Private Members Bill would not be needed. They are put before Parliament by an individual Member of Parliament, and do not neccessarily have the support of the Government. In practice only a few dozen attempts are allowed each year (there is actually a lottery to get a chance to put one forward) and they rarely get enough time to go through the whole Parliamentary process, unless the Government decides it's a good idea, and decides to sponsor it. Even then, they are most likely to fail, and then re-appear later as part of a Government Bill. A Private Members Bill shouldn't be confused with a Private Act of Parliament, which are laws passed by Parliament on behalf of a private organisation, usually to give them permission to do things like build over roads (i.e to permanently block the Queen's Highway) or to build a pipeline across public lands etc.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Have a look at http://www.supply2.gov.uk/

Supposedly designed as a way for small businesses to get visibility of government contracts that they would not normally see. I've signed up to it but so far their search criteria dont seem to generate particularly good matches for the services my ltd can provide. That or it's just too niche for them. Either way it's another thing to show the tax man if he asks how I go about aquiring contracts I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Pig
    replied
    Have a look at link give's you sort of an idea!

http://www.sbs.gov.uk/SBS_Gov_files/services/tender.pdf

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by sbrad09
    I actually sent them an email a few days ago, but I guess it is not high on their list of things to do and they never got back to me.

I guess I am going to write on my paper

"as a poor carpenter living in London, I have no resources available to me which would allow me to acquire such a large government contract. Because of this at noon tomorrow I am going to shoot myself in the face rather than whore myself out to the "big boys".

That should get me a decent grade

You're a fast study, kid. Party on, dude

Leave a comment:

• sbrad09
    replied
    I actually sent them an email a few days ago, but I guess it is not high on their list of things to do and they never got back to me.

I guess I am going to write on my paper

"as a poor carpenter living in London, I have no resources available to me which would allow me to acquire such a large government contract. Because of this at noon tomorrow I am going to shoot myself in the face rather than whore myself out to the "big boys".

That should get me a decent grade

Leave a comment:

• Pig
    replied
    Have you thought about contacting the ministry they will know what you need to do and how!

Leave a comment:

• sbrad09
    replied
    I am being asked a thought question where I have to respond to the following:

"You are a working class carpenter and a citizen of London. Your income level is so low you live with your mother in law. You are a member of a trade union. you need to increase your income. You need to get a government contract to build a building for the Ministry of Trasport.

Provide an action plan for each of the following:

How to secure the contract.

This must include specific actions and titles of government, party, trade union officials that were involved in the successful completion of this task.

Is a private members' bill passed by the House of Commons necessary
    List the support necessary to get the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by sbrad09
    I looked at the OGC and it can see how it works generally, however this assignment asks me to respond to the specific sceniero as if I am the individual. So far I don't see how a poor carpenter would acquire a contract from the Ministry of Transportation. How would he "bid" on the contract? Do jobs becomes available frequently and is there a place, I as a carpenter, could go to bid on various contracts? I guess union lobbying is not the answer, this is good to know becuase I was thinking of attempting that approach. What about a private members' bill? would that be helpful?

thanks again?

-sb
    In my local area they advertise what contracts are up for tender but I do not know of any sole trader or small company actually getting one. As already stated to get on one of these contracts you'll probally have to whore yourself to the big boys.
    Saying that there is no reason you couldn't tender but they will probally request a full set off accounts before they seriously consider you. They will have to know that you are financially as well as capable of doing the relevant contract.

So in probability you would not be able to get one of these jobs. You could try bribery if you desperately wanted too!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I suspect your only option would be as a sub-contractor to the large organisation that has greased the palms of appropriate party members.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    ask the government. I'm sure they'll tell you the truth...

Leave a comment:

• sbrad09
    replied
    I looked at the OGC and it can see how it works generally, however this assignment asks me to respond to the specific sceniero as if I am the individual. So far I don't see how a poor carpenter would acquire a contract from the Ministry of Transportation. How would he "bid" on the contract? Do jobs becomes available frequently and is there a place, I as a carpenter, could go to bid on various contracts? I guess union lobbying is not the answer, this is good to know becuase I was thinking of attempting that approach. What about a private members' bill? would that be helpful?

thanks again?

-sb

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Unlike the US, there is little to no advantage to a private individual joining a union. Other than in the public services (i.e. state employees, certain transport utilities, local government), the unions have little say in procurement decisions. They largely fund the political party currently in power and have 1/3 of the votes in party decisions, but that has little impact in day-to-day running of the government.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    sbrad

The government procurement process in the Uk is skewed against individuals and small companies.
    It seems to me that this is especially true of the current government, whose ministers are often from a background in consultancy companies, and who naturally believe that the way for an individual to work is not as an independent but as an employee of a consultancy.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    sbrad

The government procurement process in the Uk is skewed against individuals and small companies. Not sure a trade union lobby would curry much favour with the current government or any government for that matter.

Check out the OGC

Leave a comment:

• sbrad09
    started a topic Question about government contracts

Question about government contracts

Cheers all,

I am a student in the United States studying the Government of the UK. I am trying to figure out the best way to aquire a government contract assuming I was a citizen of London.

For example, Lets say I am a poor carpenter living in London. I am also a member of a trade union but am trying to make more money. How would I go about getting a government contract to build a building for the Ministry of Trasport?

Would I attempt to use my trade union to lobby the Ministry of trasport? or is there a way I as an individual could lobby for the particular contract?

Thanks a alot, I have been looking at this question for awhile now and can't seem to get past it because I am split on using the union to lobby on my behalf in an attempt to get the contract, or I am thinking there might be a way where I can bypass the union all together and do myself.

Regardless, I look forward to your replies.

-sb

Working...
X