• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: India proof

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "India proof"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    You may be surprised... When I was at Uni I was a member of the OTC. We had a few Indians who joined the OTC as well and all of us were security cleared and given access to restricted stuff.

The Indian guys were invariably the son's of high up Majour General's in the Indian army and they were treated very well indeed and wheeled out in front of any high ranking officers that happened to pop in and see what the OTC were up to.

Now bear in mind that Any of us in OTC could have got a commission and had our security clearance raised, don't forget that India used to be part of the British Empire and there are Indian families that have valid British passports (The majority that came over here in the 60's all had valid british passports) and as such can be security cleared a lot eaiser than you would think.
    OTC -

It still doesn't follow that it will be any easier to offshore security cleared work.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Get a gig that requires your physical prescence at the client sit for at least some of the time. Something that you can only do on the client site face to face.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    You may be surprised... When I was at Uni I was a member of the OTC. We had a few Indians who joined the OTC as well and all of us were security cleared and given access to restricted stuff.

The Indian guys were invariably the son's of high up Majour General's in the Indian army and they were treated very well indeed and wheeled out in front of any high ranking officers that happened to pop in and see what the OTC were up to.

Now bear in mind that Any of us in OTC could have got a commission and had our security clearance raised, don't forget that India used to be part of the British Empire and there are Indian families that have valid British passports (The majority that came over here in the 60's all had valid british passports) and as such can be security cleared a lot eaiser than you would think.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    You do surely realise that most high ranking officers in the Indian army have been tained at Sandhurst early on in thier career and are undoubtably security cleared. Just a matter of time before they clear the rest.....
    Any foreign army officer trained at Sandhust will not hold clearance for UK data. (Although I'm assuming your post was written with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek!).

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    security cleared roles.

nuff said...

You do surely realise that most high ranking officers in the Indian army have been tained at Sandhurst early on in thier career and are undoubtably security cleared. Just a matter of time before they clear the rest.....

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    security cleared roles.

nuff said...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Doing trading floor IT. Until the traders go to Mumbai that is....

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Service Delivery - requires physical presence, local knowledge/communication skills and introducing outsourcing increases the requirement for it.
    Be a postman or a pizza delivery boy!

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Service Delivery - requires physical presence, local knowledge/communication skills and introducing outsourcing increases the requirement for it.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    Find something niche, e.g. small bespoke services that require close contact for requirements gathering / analysis. Something small enough to not appear on the radar of the massive outsource / offshorers.
    This also is a good plan. You do have to make sure that it's important enough not to be dispensed with in the course of the offwhoring. (I mean important to decision-makers and administrators, of course. Merely being important to the business is not good enough).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Get a gig that requires your physical prescence at the client sit for at least some of the time. Something that you can only do on the client site face to face.
    Precisely! And make sure that the "client site" that you need to be at is defined by the presence of someone who makes the decision about what goes to India: you may be sure that his own job does not.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Find something niche, e.g. small bespoke services that require close contact for requirements gathering / analysis. Something small enough to not appear on the radar of the massive outsource / offshorers.

Leave a comment:

• Forumbore
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    Only if the clients female!

Unless she is a letterbox

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Something that you can only do on the client site face to face.
    Only if the clients female!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    No, I don't mean a method of preventing outsourcing, I mean a strategy for not finding that there is no work for me on account of all the work being done in India.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X