• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Financial sector

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Financial sector"

Collapse

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    Just saw this on BBC about HSBC moving 1000 jobs to Paris due our loss of "passporting": HSBC 'to move jobs to Paris if UK leaves single market' - BBC News
    Nobody batted an eyelid when HSBC announced 8000 job losses last week.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ..and yes I've worked for many years in finance, and you evidently haven't
    Actually I had worked on the trading floors for most of the major banks by the time I was 20. Including Cazenoves, kleinwort benson and Warburgs. I started in Sherson Lheman and Hutton when I was sixteen. I've worked on both equity and guilts and helped launch a share trading platform.

So yes I've earned my stripes but I decided unless you are in the proper bonus pool banking was a mugs game.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Politics has stopped being inclusive. Characters like Dennis Skinner or even Mr Prescott would never get selected today.
    Look at the gene pool for the Tory bench
    Don't you worry Lad. Nigey boy will sort it out for us

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The European army rule was always and is a lie.

The VAT rules were and are changed.

The EU rules can and were always veto ed by the UK government and UK MEPs.

Basically UK governments used the EU to hide the fact they were not investing in and ignoring deprived areas of the country.

These deprived areas are going to suffer more unless they become more vocal.

They also need to be careful and elect politicians who are not like the BNP councillors who were elected and did SFA. So any area electing Farage is going to be in for a shock as for all his years in Brussels he's not actually done any work.
    Politics has stopped being inclusive. Characters like Dennis Skinner or even Mr Prescott would never get selected today.
    Look at the gene pool for the Tory bench

We need more working people in the frame for selection not this factory of party spads that get given seats because they are in the club and because the precious little snowflakes that work in the parties are far too frightened of back bone and opinions that are not from inside Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    yes....Short term
    It's worth noting that mortgage rates can rise without an increase in bank rate. Indeed, I think that's the most likely scenario, if mortgage rates are going to rise. Bank rate is most likely going down, and staying down for longer. However, it's questionable whether mortgage rates will stay low. It depends on other factors, such as the state of interbank lending (Libor), not just base rate.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    They are already talking about a drop to .5% to calm markets

Please don't tell me you work in finance...

yes....Short term

When will UK interest rates rise? | This is Money

sterling's fall will trigger higher inflation and thus force the Bank to raise rates longer-term to counter this
    ..and yes I've worked for many years in finance, and you evidently haven't
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 June 2016, 19:56.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Their Rules made by an accountable government...

Not being forced into an army that isn't NATO

Not being told to set a mandatory tax on sanitary towels and other products

Not having our fish stocks decimated while a ridiculous bunch of EU tossers stood there watching while talking about quotas

Having the ability to reduce our costs and choose our own subsidies

I'm sure there are more reasons.
    The European army rule was always and is a lie.

The VAT rules were and are changed.

The EU rules can and were always veto ed by the UK government and UK MEPs.

Basically UK governments used the EU to hide the fact they were not investing in and ignoring deprived areas of the country.

These deprived areas are going to suffer more unless they become more vocal.

They also need to be careful and elect politicians who are not like the BNP councillors who were elected and did SFA. So any area electing Farage is going to be in for a shock as for all his years in Brussels he's not actually done any work.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    And what these people want they won't get in the current system.
    Their Rules made by an accountable government...

Not being forced into an army that isn't NATO

Not being told to set a mandatory tax on sanitary towels and other products

Not having our fish stocks decimated while a ridiculous bunch of EU tossers stood there watching while talking about quotas

Having the ability to reduce our costs and choose our own subsidies

I'm sure there are more reasons.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Personally if I get p*ssed off with the UK I will pack up and go. Have done it before.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not just them. Many of the people around here live a very comfortable life and still had leave posters in their fields

I full grant you that this would never have happened without the courageous stance of the poor that really took this to the line.

But now we need to repay them and help make their lives better than the last ten years.
    I was interested in why and how Ken Livingston brought the Olympics to London.

And what these people want they won't get in the current system.

Personally if I get p*ssed off with the UK I will pack up and go. Have done it before.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The people who pulled the pin on it were those who are in the run down areas of the UK who get SFA from the current political system in the UK. They have to get funding from the EU to get the money the UK government should be spending directly on them. Now they will get SFA from everyone unless they get a clever local politician who can con the UK government in doing what it is suppose to do.
    Not just them. Many of the people around here live a very comfortable life and still had leave posters in their fields

I full grant you that this would never have happened without the courageous stance of the poor that really took this to the line.

But now we need to repay them and help make their lives better than the last ten years.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And if Britain had said good point Germany, not our problem crack on... How much more of that "help" would have died and still lost Europe?

Like it or not we have been a pain in the arse to the rest of the world for a very long time.

We pulled the pin on this because we can see a reason for it.
    The people who pulled the pin on it were those who are in the run down areas of the UK who get SFA from the current political system in the UK. They have to get funding from the EU to get the money the UK government should be spending directly on them. Now they will get SFA from everyone unless they get a clever local politician who can con the UK government in doing what it is suppose to do.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Both times there was help from other countries including in Europe.

Reminds me of a member of my family claiming she did everything on her own until I pointed out the help she got from various relations...
    And if Britain had said good point Germany, not our problem crack on... How much more of that "help" would have died and still lost Europe?

Like it or not we have been a pain in the arse to the rest of the world for a very long time.

We pulled the pin on this because we can see a reason for it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Its not what we did for them. Its what we can achieve when we push ourselves.
    Both times there was help from other countries including in Europe.

Reminds me of a member of my family claiming she did everything on her own until I pointed out the help she got from various relations...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Stop coming out with the history tulip as they don't care.
    Its not what we did for them. Its what we can achieve when we push ourselves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X